Flyers System Ranked #1

King Knut

19 hours ago, Lindbergh31 said:

There's something that was never said during the Holmgren years, "The Flyers have a solid pipeline of young prospects". I guess Hexie learn a lot from Lombardi on how to build a contending team, so we as Flyers fans have to wait and see if it all works out and leads us to the promise land!

absolutely!!

On 8/18/2017 at 0:55 PM, murraycraven said:

I guess I am in the same camp as @radoran these days where now I want to see it come to fruition.

I don't think it is just @radoran here who wants to see it come to fruition....count me in and i'm sure every Flyer fan here will agree that it is nice for the recognition and all but none of give a damn about having the best farm system in the league banner to hang in the rafters....we want Cups!!!!

And that is all that matters....anything less is a failure!

Sure you have to have the kids first....go well we can check that off it think....now they need to go get the prize...we'll know it a few years!

22 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

I don't think it is just it is just @radoran here who wants to see it come to fruition....count me in and i'm sure ever Flyer fan here will agree that it is nice for the recognition and all but none of give a damn about having the best farm system in the league banner to hang in the rafters....we want Cups!!!!

And that is all that matters....anything less is a failure!

Sure you have to have the kids first....go well we can check that off it think....now they need to go get the prize...we'll know it a few years!

Obviously I want a Cup. You're right that's the ultimate prize and clearly the goal. 

But I'd be happy if entrainment were once again at least A reason to watch a Flyers game. 

What makes me say that is that increasingly over the last 3-4 years it's become increasingly difficult for me to watch a game and for it to keep my attention for very long when I do.  The Flyers have been such an excruciatingly boring no-character team to watch.  

Sure, there have been individuals who are fun to watch:  Ghost, when he was hot two seasons ago; Simmonds on occasion; Provorov last year; just for a couple examples (and an exhaustive list).

But those were seperated by ice time by completely forgettable nothings or overpaid core playing like forgettable nothings. 

If the kids come up and bring energy and,  through effort,  bring some semblance of logic to Hakstol's philosophy / system (or effectiveness, if we want to aim high), and this team becomes relevant, then I'll be ecstatic. 

Because at the end of the day, I want the team I cheer for to win, but I also want to have entertainment and at least hope. 

Because for the last three years, it's been more entertaining watching soup evaporate. 

2 hours ago, ruxpin said:

Obviously I want a Cup. You're right that's the ultimate prize and clearly the goal. 

But I'd be happy if entrainment were once again at least A reason to watch a Flyers game. 

What makes me say that is that increasingly over the last 3-4 years it's become increasingly difficult for me to watch a game and for it to keep my attention for very long when I did.  It has been such an excruciatingly boring no-character team to watch.  

Sure, there have been individuals who are fun to watch. Ghost, when he was hot two seasons ago. Simmonds on occasion. Provorov last year. 

But those were seperated by ice time by completely forgettable nothings or overpaid core playing like forgettable nothings. 

If the kids come up and bring energy and,  through effort,  bring some semblance of logic to Hakstol's philosophy / system (or effectiveness, if we want to aim high), and this team becomes relevant, then I'll be ecstatic. 

Because at the end of the day, I want the team I cheer for to win, but I also want to have entertainment and at least hope. 

Because for the last three years, it's been more entertaining watching soup evaporate. 

I agree it will be sometime before they are pushing deep for a Cup so yeah making the game more entertaining in the mean time will help a lot too.

I really think this year's team will be more entertaining. How far they go who knows. Get off to a great start can go a long ways.

#fingerscrossed

23 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I agree it will be sometime before they are pushing deep for a Cup so yeah making the game more entertaining in the mean time will help a lot too.

I really think this year's team will be more entertaining. How far they go who knows. Get off to a great start can go a long ways.

#fingerscrossed

Exactly this. 

21 hours ago, ruxpin said:

While I'm complaining:   The other problem with the last couple seasons is that by March (or earlier) I can't wait for everything to be over so we can get to something the Flyers are somewhat good at:  the draft.    It would be nice if parts of the interceding 12 months would be as interesting as that one weekend.

I feel like the idiot kid we brought to a game with us the one time who couldn't wait for them to get done actually playing each period because her favorite part was watching the zamboni.

On 8/18/2017 at 8:41 PM, OccamsRazor said:

#fingerscrossed

100% spot on...

They can not come out of the gate this year playing flat.   At some point these slow starts have to become unacceptable to the Team's management.   This has been an issue for far too long...   Hopefully, they get off to a great start.

5 hours ago, murraycraven said:

100% spot on...

They can not come out of the gate this year playing flat.   At some point these slow starts have to become unacceptable to the Team's management.   This has been an issue for far too long...   Hopefully, they get off to a great start.

Normally I would agree...their sched looks like a killer to start the year though.

3 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Normally I would agree...their sched looks like a killer to start the year though.

True. But if they come out, play well, and lose against tough teams, that's one thing. It's when they come out playing like they don't seem to realize the season started that it's an issue. 

4 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

This year that's actually true.  The problem, for me, was that in the last couple seasons, having NHL teams on the schedule was a killer to start the year.

15 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

it is a tough schedule but decent teams find a way to win.   Honestly, no excuses this year...  I realize they are a bubble team but there must be progress all around this year.  PP, PK, 5v5, coaching...   

12 hours ago, AJgoal said:

True. But if they come out, play well, and lose against tough teams, that's one thing. It's when they come out playing like they don't seem to realize the season started that it's an issue. 

exactly.

If the Flyers start out slow again this year, I expect rumblings of Hakstol being on the hot seat starting to heat up. Hextall won't make a move this early in the season, so everything is on the coaching staff to get this right. If they're competitive and losing close games, I can live with that because it means the youngsters are learning. If they're winning, then we know they're overachieving. However, if they're losing and they don't look competitive, Hakstol will be fed to the wolves. The question will then be who does Hextall bring in to replace him? The first ten games should be interesting to watch.

As for the farm system, it's plentiful and bountiful. Hextall has done a magnificent job rebuilding the farm system and we're going to start reaping the rewards shortly. I don't buy the line about there not being a lot of game breakers in the system. That's a load of crap. We've got Patrick, Frost, Rubtsov, Lindblom, Bunnaman, Laczynski, Ratcliffe, Aube-Kubel, Morin, Sanheim, Hagg, Myers, Sandstrom, and Hart. That's a hell of a group of game breakers right there. They might not be the 'sexy' choices, but every one of these guys can play and they'll impact the game in their own way. This is a fantastic group of players.

1 hour ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

We've got Patrick, Frost, Rubtsov, Lindblom, Bunnaman, Laczynski, Ratcliffe, Aube-Kubel, Morin, Sanheim, Hagg, Myers, Sandstrom, and Hart. That's a hell of a group of game breakers right there

I wonder what his definition of "game breaker" is. It seemed odd to me that he made that statement with the players you list.  With the exception of Patrick, I guess most of the forwards are simply "strong" prospects or solid players or whatever terminology.    I'm not sure any of them are "game breakers" if you use the McDonald, Crosby, Malkin, Patrick Kane yardstick.   The thing about using those players as the benchmark for "game breaker" though is that those "game breakers" didn't remain "in the system" after being drafted.  They went directly to the NHL.    So, I'm thinking his use of "game breaker" is flawed.   Either have it apply to my list and NOT use it at all in reference to a system (because then it's not even relevant) or have it apply to whatever is the level below that.  In which case, I think probably some of your list applies.

Hart and/or Sandstrom could be that, if goalies can be considered game breakers.

13 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

This is a fantastic group of players.

As good as a group as i have ever seen the Flyers assemble since i have been watching them.

Now will they all be hits??

No but the more you have the better your chances are and they have a lot to look forward too.

7 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

As good as a group as i have ever seen the Flyers assemble since i have been watching them.

Now will they all be hits??

No but the more you have the better your chances are and they have a lot to look forward too.

It's a lot nicer having a Patrick, Lindblom, Myers, Sanheim, Hart and Sandstrom to hope become hits instead of just a Aube-Kubel, Vorobyev, Ratcliffe and Friedman... which is what I feel like I'm used to with the Flyers.

Add in Hagg and Morin who look to be pretty good, but don't need to be Weber or Subban in order to be incredibly impactful to making this team damn good.

On 8/17/2017 at 5:33 PM, OccamsRazor said:

Go to show you this guy doesn't really know what he is talking about...

PLAYER, POSITION

OVERALL RANK 2017-18

TEAM Top 10

1. Nolan Patrick C (5)9/19/986′ 2″198Philadelphia (NHL)

2. Philippe Myers D (28)1/25/976′ 5″209Lehigh Valley (AHL)

3. Oskar Lindblom LW (64)8/15/966′ 2″196Lehigh Valley (AHL)

4. Travis Sanheim D (69)3/29/966′ 4″201Lehigh Valley (AHL)

5. German Rubtsov C (HM)6/27/986′ 0″187Chicoutimi (QMJHL)

6. Carter Hart G (G4)8/13/986′ 2″181Everett (WHL)

7. Matthew StromeLW (N/A)1/06/996′ 3.75″206Hamilton (OHL)

8. Mikhail Vorobyov C (N/A)1/05/976′ 2″207Lehigh Valley (AHL)

9. Morgan Frost C (N/A)5/14/995′ 11.25″170Sault Ste. Marie (OHL)

10. Felix Sandstrom G (G10)1/12/976′ 2″194Brynas (SHL)

Strome here at #7??? And no Ratcliffe or Allison...i don't trust anything he says.

From what I've read, I'd think Strome is the only real outlier on this list.  Seems like if they can teach him to skate, he'll be pretty good and considering how everyone considered Lindblom a really flawed skater when he was drafted, I think Strome in the top 10 is insane.

Radcliffe is just as much if not more of a project.

Allison supposedly has the best shot in the entire system, but they're still working on the rest of his game.  Not sure I care.  JLC had a sound but not amazing 2 way game.  He wasn't fast, but he could throw a check.  He could ship that puck past the best in the league though and I really really miss that.

20 hours ago, ruxpin said:

I wonder what his definition of "game breaker" is. It seemed odd to me that he made that statement with the players you list.  With the exception of Patrick, I guess most of the forwards are simply "strong" prospects or solid players or whatever terminology.    I'm not sure any of them are "game breakers" if you use the McDonald, Crosby, Malkin, Patrick Kane yardstick.   The thing about using those players as the benchmark for "game breaker" though is that those "game breakers" didn't remain "in the system" after being drafted.  They went directly to the NHL.    So, I'm thinking his use of "game breaker" is flawed.   Either have it apply to my list and NOT use it at all in reference to a system (because then it's not even relevant) or have it apply to whatever is the level below that.  In which case, I think probably some of your list applies.

Hart and/or Sandstrom could be that, if goalies can be considered game breakers.

Depends on what we mean by "game".  Do we literally mean "a game" in which a single player has the skill and talent to break things open and score a big goal or make some big plays?  Then, yeah... I kinda think a lot of these guys have that potential.

If we mean the more metaphorical "game" of running a hockey team and becoming a franchise player... then I'm with you.  

3 hours ago, King Knut said:

Depends on what we mean by "game".  Do we literally mean "a game" in which a single player has the skill and talent to break things open and score a big goal or make some big plays?  Then, yeah... I kinda think a lot of these guys have that potential.

If we mean the more metaphorical "game" of running a hockey team and becoming a franchise player... then I'm with you.  

Oh, I'm actually with you on all of it.  I'm just trying to figure out what the heck the writer was talking about.

The Wells Fargo Center holds over 19,500 people for ice hockey, and even if they held a few thousand back, the Flyers “sold” over 15,000 tickets in less than four hours. That’s on a Tuesday afternoon with short notice for a rookie game on a Wednesday night in September.

That speaks to not only how great of a hockey town Philadelphia is, but also to the job Ron Hextall and company have done in building an exciting group of young prospects.

The rookie roster has five first-round picks (Frost, Patrick, Rubtsov, Morin, Sanheim), four second-round picks (Aube-Kubel, Laberge, Ratcliffe, Hart), and five or six players that could see the NHL this year (Lindblom, Patrick, Vecchione, Morin, Myers, Sanheim).

Archived