Sabres

BARELY ON THE OUTSIDE

Rangers

Canadiens

Bruins

Senators

STANLEY CUP FINALS

DUCKS BEAT THE MAPLE LEAFS

Of my picks, picking the Sabres to make the playoffs and the Leafs to make it to the finals are probably the biggest stretches but I call them as I see them.

A few other picks:

CALDER WINNER: Joel Eriksson Ek was over his head a bit last year but looks real good this preseason and is my pick.

HART TROPHY: McDavid is the choice here until proven otherwise for the next decade.

VEZINA: Holtby will step up and pick up the slack of the defections and be the leagues best goalie.

FIRST COACH FIRED: Jeff Blashill will be put out of his misery within the first 20 games of the season.

BIGGEST BREAKTHROUGH: Max Domi will finish in the top 15 in the league in scoring.

BIGGEST BUST: Drouin will be the scapegoat in Montreal.

Wow, @yave1964  , I dunno if you are trying to get on my good side this hockey season in order to pave the way for some nice trades for your FHL team, but I CERTAINLY like your Wild and Lightning predictions to be division winners! :)

But honestly, I have my doubts about the Wild this season.

I still think they are a playoff team, but the Central looks as tough as ever and I am not so sure they have enough to be the best team there all season long........I, grudgingly, am picking Dallas to rebound, surprise many, and take that division in a heated race.

Stars' offense suffered a letdown last year and their defense and goaltending, of course, couldn't compensate.

I say their scoring comes back, they have a better goalie in Ben Bishop than they ever did in Lehtonen and Niemi, and the defense, while still perhaps a bit suspect coverage-wise, may just be average enough, with enough offense as well, to cancel that part of it out.

I am picking the Oilers to nudge out the Ducks for the Pacific Division.

Anaheim can still win it all, however, the Oilers progression (the REAL progression since McDavid arrived) has been outstanding and I can only see this team getting better and tougher with every bit of experience the young core gets while vets on the team are revitalized by the excitement as well.

Over in the East, until someone shows different, I still gotta go with the Penguins in the Metro. There are some improved teams in that division (Carolina, New Jersey, MAYYYYBE the Flyers...), while some others may have taken a step or two backwards (Rangers and Caps perhaps?), so that still leaves me with Pittsburgh as the team to beat there as they become a real threat to, and I will vomit just a bit now, THREEPEAT! :sick:

Excuse me..............be back shortly.....................

............................................................................................................

....................................  *sound of toilet flushing*.............................

................ *footsteps on wooden floors back to pc area*........................

................ *puts headset back on, while telling client it is still before hours, chill out because Hockeyforums.net is damned important!...........

Ok, back.

Sorry bout that. I am good now... :ahappy:

Where was I...oh yea....

Atlantic Division.

Most wide open division (no, I do NOT buy into the Montreal hype), and while I would LOVE for the Lightning to win this, honestly, any team from them to the Bruins to the Panthers (if they can show the form they did two seasons ago), to even the Leafs and yea, even those Canadiens can luck their way into the top spot... :shifty:

Bolts could have the ingredients to be a bonafide division winner, and even a Cup contender, but my concerns are with Vasilevskiy in net (is he the real deal now that he has no net to work with? No pun intended...) and the top four defense (Hedman, Stralman, Girardi, Coburn), while being experienced, just seems to have gotten......older and slower.

If guys like Slater Koekkoek, Jake Dotchin and maybe one of the young guys from the minors (Cernak, Sergachev, or Ben Thomas?), show they have what it takes to be NHL regulars, maybe one of them can bump one of the older guys like Girardi and Coburn down to third pair where they probably should be.

Can't wait to get this season underway!!

Yave! You need to cut back on that stuff my friend.:cheers: Like the Leafs fans are not hyped up enough - a trip to the finals!!?? :VeryCool:

Good grief I think it's a roll of the dice. To me, the Leafs are way too short on defence (that includes goaltending). If Matthews can score 40 again this year, then I see the Leafs going one step further in the play-offs, but I think they are a fragile team and it's a looooong season.

The X factor is the Habs (IMO). With the best goalie in the world, they will be super confident this year and if they can get inspired performances out of all their Quebec players, they will be tough. But I, too see the Lightning as the top team in the east. I think this year will be the start of a decline in Washington (OV sounds whipped already) and Boston.

The Leafs are simply not tough enough...... :(

Well I hope the Sabres make the playoffs like Yave predicts.  He is predicting the Ducks and Miller to hoist the Cup.  I am not.   I am very confident that this is finally the year the St Louis Blues get it done.  So I am going Blues over Capitals or Jackets or Penguins.  I cant separate the East.  I hope my Sabres take the next step but I am not crazy and am not picking them to go to the finals.  Right now I would say the Bills have a better shot of making the Super Bowl than the Sabres do of getting to the finals with the two bums in goal

14 hours ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Well I hope the Sabres make the playoffs like Yave predicts.  He is predicting the Ducks and Miller to hoist the Cup.  I am not.   I am very confident that this is finally the year the St Louis Blues get it done.  So I am going Blues over Capitals or Jackets or Penguins.  I cant separate the East.  I hope my Sabres take the next step but I am not crazy and am not picking them to go to the finals.  Right now I would say the Bills have a better shot of making the Super Bowl than the Sabres do of getting to the finals with the two bums in goal

Chad Johnson came back in the offseason to push Lehner who is in the final year of his deal, I think the two of them are plenty as long as some of the kids step up, the additions of Scandella, Beaulieu and Antipin gives the Sabres the best defense they have had in at least a decade. I feel if Eichel stays healthy all year they will be a tough team to play every single night.

@BluPuk

Seriously, the Leafs are stacked, I dont know how they are going to even get down to 12 forwards nightly, they are incredibly deep with fast kids who feed off of each other. As far as in net goes, Andersen is more than adequate.

The defense, Gardiner played better than I would have thought last year and I think he will slip back a bit, Reilly IMHO was misused, as the most skilled defender and with lack of depth back there they used him on too many defensive zone faceoffs and on the P/K which slowed his offense, with the signing of underrated shutdown defender Hainsey I believe that  Reilly will be turned loose a bit more.

But lets face it, the defense is dangerously thin, as currently built they need another puck mover and probably a bottom pair shut down guy in the mix but this is a good year for adding those guys as quite a few decent UFA from borderline at best playoff teams should be available at or near the deadline. Mike Green is in the last year of his deal and would be ideal for your boys down the stretch, Tobias enstrom from Winnipeg will be available, Garrison and Sbisa from Vegas as well. The Leafs have pieces to move up front, no team has the forward line depth that they have and they have an agressive front office so I truly believe they are going to add the missing ingredients to the back end at or before the deadline making them one tough out in the playoffs.

So who gets to the finals first? Matthews or McDavid? Or if you really want to send a Country into a tizzy how about both at the same time?

4 hours ago, yave1964 said:

@BluPuk

Seriously, the Leafs are stacked, I dont know how they are going to even get down to 12 forwards nightly, they are incredibly deep with fast kids who feed off of each other. As far as in net goes, Andersen is more than adequate.

The defense, Gardiner played better than I would have thought last year and I think he will slip back a bit, Reilly IMHO was misused, as the most skilled defender and with lack of depth back there they used him on too many defensive zone faceoffs and on the P/K which slowed his offense, with the signing of underrated shutdown defender Hainsey I believe that  Reilly will be turned loose a bit more.

But lets face it, the defense is dangerously thin, as currently built they need another puck mover and probably a bottom pair shut down guy in the mix but this is a good year for adding those guys as quite a few decent UFA from borderline at best playoff teams should be available at or near the deadline. Mike Green is in the last year of his deal and would be ideal for your boys down the stretch, Tobias enstrom from Winnipeg will be available, Garrison and Sbisa from Vegas as well. The Leafs have pieces to move up front, no team has the forward line depth that they have and they have an agressive front office so I truly believe they are going to add the missing ingredients to the back end at or before the deadline making them one tough out in the playoffs.

So who gets to the finals first? Matthews or McDavid? Or if you really want to send a Country into a tizzy how about both at the same time?

I still do not believe either Edmonton or Toronto are good enough to reach the finals this year.  And my Sabres could surpass Toronto by next year.  The West to me is the Blues to lose, with Anaheim certainly being a player and Washington is certainly a team that is good enough to get there.  Is Pittsburgh still in tact enough to get back? Will the Stanley Cup hangover finally set in?  Was Columbus really that good?  I feel some teams have dropped off and left the door open for a team like my Sabres to sneak in.  Florida for instance.  Are they better  or worse than last year?  The Rangers have problems and Montreal in my book has dropped off.  I still do not like the non involvement in the Olympics.  The outcome is pretty certain.  Canada, Russia and Sweden.  The US gets hit the hardest and Russia a bit also

4 hours ago, musky said:

Hurricanes and Sabres  will not make the playoffs. not even close.

Hurricanes have a brilliant bunch on the blueline with Haydn Fleury and Jake Bean knocking on the door to join them, Darling is a serious upgrade in net and Justin Williams is a very nice middle six winger who provides leadership as well. Lots to like with Carolina, I think they are close to a lock.

As for buffalo, I agree they are a bit of a stretch but truthfully if Eichel had been there all year they very well may have made it last year and this year they went out and added a defense and brought in Johnson to push Lehner. Plus they play in the leagues worst division, 3 teams make it, I like buffalo a lot more than the Panthers or my Wings (sigh) Ottawa IMHO was a bit of smoke and mirrors last year and Montreal had probably the worst offseason of any team in the league. Granted, Montreal has Carey Price which gave me a bit of pause but Buffalo is young and hungry so that is why I took them for the third spot in the division.

On 9/25/2017 at 4:29 AM, yave1964 said:

Predictions for the 2017-18 season...

PLAYOFF TEAMS WESTERN CONFERENCE

DIVISION WINNERS

Ducks

wild

OTHER PLAYOFF TEAMS

Blues

Blackhawks

Predators

Oilers

Stars

Flames

BARELY ON THE OUTSIDE

Sharks

Kings

jets

EASTERN CONFERENCE 

DIVISION WINNERS

Lightning

Capitals

OTHER PLAYOFF TEAMS

Maple Leafs

Bruins

Penguins

Bluejackets

Hurricanes

Sabres

BARELY ON THE OUTSIDE

Rangers

Canadiens

Bruins

Senators

STANLEY CUP FINALS

DUCKS BEAT THE MAPLE LEAFS

I would love to see leafs in the finals, they need to get out of round one 1st.

According to USA Today:

USA Today.jpg

Not sure how good their hockey people are, but here it is. 

Looks like they went right down to the wins-losses-OTLs and points to determine who, exactly, will finish where.

Wow, if these guys are this good, then I guess we really don't have to watch the regular season, eh? :bigteeth:

Anyways, thought I would post this so we could have a bit of fun with it.

Some of these look about right....some..well, not so much.

You guys n gals be the judge.

But before I finish this post, I will just say this.... LOL @ Vancouver NOT losing at least 50 games this year.

Seriously...they are in a big mess over there, in with some powerful clubs, and are full on rebuilding (Sedins will be moved I predict). How can they NOT lose at least 50?

Here is a link to some other USA Today hockey analysts opinions...some of which differ from the above.

https://www.usatoday.com/videos/sports/nhl/2017/09/29/usa-todays-nhl-insiders-predict-how-season-unfold/106111802/

I think out of the East as they have a lot of talent is the Columbus Blue Jackets. With the likes of Wennberg, Atkinson, Panarin and then Werenski and Jones on Defense. The only thing that is lacking is some depth. Bobrovsky is also strong. Also I think the Dallas Stars is going to surprise with the addition of Ben Bishop in goal. 

I see the Flyers finishing 6th in the East, 4th in the Metro behind Pittsburgh, Washington, the Rangers and Columbus in the division, but I won't be that disappointed. I'm looking forward to seeing the young guys play. I liken this to Lindros' rookie season when you know they were going to be darn good, and soon. I already know that this team's core is loaded with underacheivers, and I know that if they don't perform this year, many will be gone anyway.

Here's how I see each division playing out, and my picks for the Stanley Cup finals and the SC Champs:

Metro

1) Pittsburgh

2) Columbus

3) Washington

4) NY Rangers - wild card

5) NY Islanders

6) Flyers

7) Carolina

8) New Jersey

Atlantic

1) Tampa Bay

2) Ottawa

3) Toronto

4) Montreal - wild card

5) Florida

6) Buffalo

7) Boston

8) Detroit

Western Conference

Central Division

1) Chicago

2) Nashville

3) Dallas

4) St. Louis - wild card

5) Minnesota

6) Winnipeg

7) Colorado

Pacific Division

1) Edmonton

2) Anaheim

3) San Jose 

4) LA Kings - wild card

5) Calgary

6) Vancouver

7) Arizona

8) Vegas

Eastern Conference final:

Pittsburgh over Columbus in 7.

Western Conference final

Edmonton over San Jose in 6.

Stanley Cup final

Edmonton over Pittsburgh in 6.

On 10/4/2017 at 1:09 PM, FD19372 said:

I see the Flyers finishing 6th in the East, 4th in the Metro behind Pittsburgh, Washington, the Rangers and Columbus in the division, but I won't be that disappointed. I'm looking forward to seeing the young guys play. I liken this to Lindros' rookie season when you know they were going to be darn good, and soon. I already know that this team's core is loaded with underacheivers, and I know that if they don't perform this year, many will be gone anyway.

Here's how I see each division playing out, and my picks for the Stanley Cup finals and the SC Champs:

Metro

1) Pittsburgh

2) Columbus

3) Washington

4) NY Rangers - wild card

5) NY Islanders

6) Flyers

7) Carolina

8) New Jersey

Atlantic

1) Tampa Bay

2) Ottawa

3) Toronto

4) Montreal - wild card

5) Florida

6) Buffalo

7) Boston

8) Detroit

Western Conference

Central Division

1) Chicago

2) Nashville

3) Dallas

4) St. Louis - wild card

5) Minnesota

6) Winnipeg

7) Colorado

Pacific Division

1) Edmonton

2) Anaheim

3) San Jose 

4) LA Kings - wild card

5) Calgary

6) Vancouver

7) Arizona

8) Vegas

Eastern Conference final:

Pittsburgh over Columbus in 7.

Western Conference final

Edmonton over San Jose in 6.

Stanley Cup final

Edmonton over Pittsburgh in 6.

I do appreciate the Kings sneaking in as a wild card...! :D  

That's mighty fine of ya, FD. ;) 

I see LA going four or five. Winning a wild card spot only if 

all players who have sloughed one or more years these last 

couple seasons--bounce back in a big way. 

Edmonton v. Pittsburgh presents an interesting Stanley Cup Finals: 

it'd enable the NHL to play up the superstar vs. superstar angle at its maximum 

with McDavid and Crosby. Methinks it'd be exciting too. Maybe even a means 

to get a lot more folks into hockey, especially peeps in the states. 

I thought about Pittsburgh earlier tonight and I think they've got

a good chance to three-peat. They're one of the deepest teams. I mean, they 

re-peated--without Letang! Unless aliens abduct Murray and Malkin; Phil Kessel 

goes mental, locks himself in a Golden Corral, and refuses to come out; the team 

suffers catastrophic production loss from unprecedented injury happenings, & the

organization bungled, bungles, its signings, re-signings, and acquisitions, the Penguins--

has anyone ever seen a penguin in Pennsylvania?! :scratcheshead: -- are likely making 

Conference Finals at a minimum. :dizzysmiley-1:  

They're, obviously, not my preferred choice for winning it all. But winning three Cups straight 

would be something special in this capped era. And it seems a good possibility 

for them. 

55 minutes ago, JonathanQuick said:

Im gonna say that the edmonton oilers will probably win this year because connor mcdavid got his game on

very possible although I am a bit weary of the defense and may be the last guy on Earth who still views Talbot as nothing more than an average goalie who stumbled into a great landing spot. If you look at teams that win cups they usually have elite or near elite tenders and quite frankly I don't see him as such.

Archived