Hakstol experiment over

trevluk

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Kastompa01 said:

Good option as well.

He just looks smoother and quicker than Elliott...and moves better post to post...

...however he could just resign in St. Louie...i think he gets up off the ice pretty damn quick.

Just now, Pucked in the head said:

Did they fire hacktard yet ????????    

He ain't going anywhere don't get your hopes up....the fact they are thinking about resigning Filppula is all you need to know about Hak and what they think about his job performance...he insisted one of his favorite players has to come back...SMFH!!!!!!!

30 minutes ago, Pucked in the head said:

I hope he has a VERY SHORT LEASH... Like laviollette short.....

Someone said they think he gets his 5 years.   I'm not saying I support that, but I think that's probably going to be the case.  Without looking, who was the last Flyers' coach to go 5 years?

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

So this "someone" doesn't have a name does he??? :rage:

I thought it was you but didn't want to scroll back on my phone (wasn't even sure it was this thread) and didn't want to cite when I wasn't sure. 

It was OccamsRazor! 

I gotta say this.....SHARKS ARE LAYING DOWN SO FAR AGAINST THE KNIGHTS....VEGAS ain't that good...NHL AND BETTMAN ARE PUSHING this AVERAGE team towards a MARKETING FRENZIE...This is a JOKE....Oh well..Back to our regular program..:)

9 minutes ago, Kastompa01 said:

I gotta say this.....SHARKS ARE LAYING DOWN SO FAR AGAINST THE KNIGHTS....VEGAS ain't that good...NHL AND BETTMAN ARE PUSHING this AVERAGE team towards a MARKETING FRENZIE...This is a JOKE....Oh well..Back to our regular program..:)

speed kills buddy.

speed kills.

there isn't any "laying down" the sharks are losing every foot race. their skill guys aren't getting any opportunities.

15 minutes ago, Kastompa01 said:

Wow.

Just tuned in was watching the NFL draft.

Damn 4-0 didn't see that coming.

Vegas flying around and sniping. I must say is ****** refreshing to see a team just walk in a shoot!

Fleury with half a dozen ten bell saves as well. 

Entertaining 1st period

14 hours ago, ruxpin said:

Someone said they think he gets his 5 years.   I'm not saying I support that, but I think that's probably going to be the case.  Without looking, who was the last Flyers' coach to go 5 years?

Right now, Hakstol is the 8th longest tenured coach (of 19) in Flyers history. 

If he lasts next season, he will be the 2nd longest tenured behind only Fred Shero.

Think about that. Four seasons as Flyers coach gets you 2nd longest in franchise history.

Crazy, right? 

10 minutes ago, brelic said:

Right now, Hakstol is the 8th longest tenured coach (of 19) in Flyers history. 

If he lasts next season, he will be the 2nd longest tenured behind only Fred Shero.

Think about that. Four seasons as Flyers coach gets you 2nd longest in franchise history.

Crazy, right? 

It also says that tenured coaches have a greater chance of winning a cup in Philly.  :haha:

Just now, hf101 said:

It also says that tenured coaches have a greater chance of winning a cup in Philly.  :haha:

Yeah.  The top tenured coaches have won either a Cup (Shero) or gotten to the finals.

The shortest ones baked cakes.

8 minutes ago, hf101 said:

Not just in Philly, but probably in general. 

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/what-predicts-if-an-nhl-coach-will-be-fired-and-whether-it-matters/

The average NHL coach lasts 2.3 years. 

I thought this was interesting... 

To determine if firing the head coach makes any difference, I compared teams’ year-over-year performance to whether or not they fired their coach during the offseason. Teams that fired their coaches performed exactly the same on average in the following season as teams that kept their coaches. Notably, teams that were sub-.400 performed 20 percent better on average the following season regardless of whether they fired their coach or not. Often all a team needs is a little regression to the mean, not a shakeup.

Flyers Coaches.png

It was easier to sort by GC (Games Coached) than calendar length, but it correlates.  The amazing thing is if Hakstol makes it even to New Year, he's probably 3rd all time.   HF is right, if he finishes the year he's only behind Shero.   That's simply astounding.   When I initially posed the question, I hadn't looked.  I was really expecting to find maybe Lavy (I didn't think so) or Keenan, maybe Hitchcock.  I really didn't realize it went all the way back to Shero.

7 minutes ago, brelic said:

To determine if firing the head coach makes any difference, I compared teams’ year-over-year performance to whether or not they fired their coach during the offseason. Teams that fired their coaches performed exactly the same on average in the following season as teams that kept their coaches. Notably, teams that were sub-.400 performed 20 percent better on average the following season regardless of whether they fired their coach or not. Often all a team needs is a little regression to the mean, not a shakeup.

THIS!  :PostAwardsm:

I still believe the Flyers have the right coach.  We just need the RIGHT healthy players.

1 minute ago, hf101 said:

THIS!  :PostAwardsm:

I still believe the Flyers have the right coach.  We just need the RIGHT healthy players.

I think he needs better assistants too though...i would love for them to show Murphy the door and Lappy too.

Maybe they could promote Kerry Huffman from the Phantoms??

Or just find a guy who has a better track record coaching defensemen.

Can't keep it the same.

18 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

The amazing thing is if Hakstol makes it even to New Year, he's probably 3rd all time.   HF is right, if he finishes the year he's only behind Shero.   That's simply astounding.   When I initially posed the question, I hadn't looked.  I was really expecting to find maybe Lavy (I didn't think so) or Keenan, maybe Hitchcock.  I really didn't realize it went all the way back to Shero.

Actually, it was @brelic who posted that Hakstol would be behind Shero if he finishes the season.  I'm just the smart - ass connecting the dots.  (Long Tenure ---> win Stanley Cup). 

There is something to be said for stability in the work environment even in Hockey.

3 minutes ago, hf101 said:

Actually, it was @brelic who posted that Hakstol would be behind Shero if he finishes the season.  I'm just the smart - ass connecting the dots.  (Long Tenure ---> win Stanley Cup). 

There is something to be said for stability in the work environment even in Hockey.

Agreed 100%. Coaching changes and roster churn are usually detrimental in the short term. Always exceptions, of course.

But if I had to make a guess, those 'exceptions' (Pittsburgh comes to mind firing a coach mid-season and going on to win the Cup) already had the right leaders on the ice and just needed to be hearing a different voice.

It's not the systems so much as the leadership and motivation skills of the man behind the bench. That's what good bosses do.

23 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I think he needs better assistants too though...i would love for them to show Murphy the door and Lappy too.

Maybe they could promote Kerry Huffman from the Phantoms??

Or just find a guy who has a better track record coaching defensemen.

Can't keep it the same.

I agree completely.  The Flyers finished 29th this year on the PK.  I believe this will be addressed this summer via assistant coach and personnel.  Hextall never found a replacement for Bellamare this season.

Hextall was asked if the penalty-killing deficiencies were more because of structure or personnel.

“It’s both. It’s everything,” Hextall said. “Your best penalty killer is your goalie. Our goalies I don’t necessarily think have been at fault. Last year, I thought our goaltender on the PK was not very good. This year, I think it’s been better, so you eliminate that and you start looking where you’re giving up shots and how often.”

Based on those who played in at least 20 games, Steve Mason was 45th out of 50 goaltenders last year with an .845 save percentage while the team was shorthanded.

This season, Brian Elliott is 35th out of 37 goalies with an .811 save percentage while shorthanded.

In both seasons, the defensemen have contributed to the penalty-killing problem, failing to clear bodies from in front of the net.

“I just think we need to pressure people at more opportune times,” Hextall said, “and read things a little better individually; have sticks in the right lanes. Having a stick in a lane prevents a pass….We clearly have to do a better job collectively.”

The Flyers’ penalty-killing problems have become a common theme. They were tied for 19th last year (79.8 percent), tied for 20th in 2015-16 (80.5 percent), and 27th in 2014-15 (77.1 percent). They have the NHL’s worst four-on-five save percentage (.843) over the last four seasons, but breakdowns by the four skaters have been a big reason for the low number.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/flyers/flyers-penalty-kill-stanley-cup-playoffs-20180202.html

Archived