Hakstol made the Right Changes for game 5

hf101

1 hour ago, brelic said:

But instead, he went with the injury-prone Neuvirth who hadn’t played a complete game in over two months.

Well was the last goalie to lead the Flyers to a playoff win before last night's, so he had that going for him.......now quick someone wrap him in bubble wrap till the puck drops......

..an as far as Fil goes yeah he played better but really he has been so meh he had nowhere to go but up...sad it takes an elimination game to get this guy to play....but some would say the same about Giroux!

With the rest of the series an elimination game , do you think we'll see the type performance and effort in this game as well ? Also the friggin crowd has to blow the friggin roof off WFC..... Show them crazy support , constantly so loud Cindy can't hear Pierre whispering sweet nothings in her ear .... Anyone on the board going to the game ? Get that place rockin , the last game they were booing !!! Take a megaphone if you have to....

“Big game on the road here,” Giroux said after a 4-2 Game 5 win. “Now we’ve just got to figure out how to play at home. When you win (the fans are) the best. We just need to…I don’t know. We’re gonna talk about it. We’re excited to go back home. It’s an advantage for us. It’s gotta be our best game.”

“Obviously the crowd plays a big role, especially in playoffs,” Sean Couturier said. “There’s a lot of commotions. When (stuff) hits the fan and things start going not our way, you gotta kinda focus and stick together. Our fans can get frustrated pretty quickly, but gotta stick together and come back the next shift and try to win it and regain that momentum.”

“The two games here, they played a little better than we did,” Hakstol told reporters after an optional practice Saturday in Voorhees. “I thought they won a lot of the little areas, a lot of the little battles in five of the six periods. Usually that adds up to winning a hockey game. I don’t know if there’s an explanation for (success on the road in this series). The games have had different looks.”

“I wouldn’t say I’m surprised at anything Provy brings to the table,” Hakstol said. “He continues to want a little bit more and continues to earn that. That’s probably, for me, one of the clear things where he’s not just capable of continually adding to his game, but he’s willing to earn those opportunities.”

Go Flyers!!!!!!

Winning at home this year hasn't been always so good for them but it needs to happen next game.

15 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

“I wouldn’t say I’m surprised at anything Provy brings to the table,” Hakstol said. “He continues to want a little bit more and continues to earn that. That’s probably, for me, one of the clear things where he’s not just capable of continually adding to his game, but he’s willing to earn those opportunities.”

This seems a pretty bang on assessment actually. Provo just seems to want more than everyone. When placed in the kind of position he's in, some people cave under the pressure and sink into a spiral when they can't reach the lofty expectations placed before them. Provo is clearly on the opposite side of that spectrum. It seems like every time someone mentions how he's becoming a tremendous player, he takes it upon himself to try even harder.

For me, he's quickly becoming the most impressive player we've added to the roster in a very long time. Every time I watch him make a fool of the league's best, I feel like he's a 10 year veteran. Then he'll turn around and lead a charge down the ice, get a shot in tight somehow, and still not get beat back. If there is any player on our current roster who may blossom into a true game breaker, my money's on Provo.

On 4/20/2018 at 10:25 PM, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

Flyers were out shot 32 - 25 but they out hit the Pens 48 - 25.  

Alaska and Colleagues:

If you look at the Flyers performance this season, we often "outshoot but underscore" the opposition.  Our wins have been the reverse.  Quality of shooting is important--heatmaps tell a big part of that story.  I'd add that sometimes it's better to be lucky than good, and the gamewinner was a perfect example.  That was a relatively easy shot but the deflection off the Pitt player's ankle made it unstoppable.  

25 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

Alaska and Colleagues:

If you look at the Flyers performance this season, we often "outshoot but underscore" the opposition.  Our wins have been the reverse.  Quality of shooting is important--heatmaps tell a big part of that story.  I'd add that sometimes it's better to be lucky than good, and the gamewinner was a perfect example.  That was a relatively easy shot but the deflection off the Pitt player's ankle made it unstoppable.  

Doesn't this suggest that it's "never wrong to shoot"? Players don't really expect to score on an unobstructed shot on an NHL goalie (unless the goalie plays for the Flyers). They're always looking to have it be tipped, screened, bounce off an asss - whatever. The thing is, the other team has guys trying to clear the path for the goalie. Neither side fully and always succeeds at it. And sometimes the puck does hit something and deflect, but just misses the post! Was that wrong to shoot, or did you just get unlucky?

What I'm getting at, is that this stuff is a bit more complex than: "poor shot selection"

Pods:

Greetings and best wishes.  My read is that shot selection is important to the extent probability of scoring increases exponentially from within 20 feet. On a broader front, some have argued that in the New NHL, preventing shots from in close is the real deal because shooters today are so damn good; this makes puck possession in the offensive zone the best defense.  That may be why the O and B are having such a tough time with Pitt unless they play a physical game that keeps them bottled up.  

Game Day greetings to you too Howie!

3 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

this makes puck possession in the offensive zone the best defense. 

I think this has always been true. But I like your point about shots from 10 feet. 

The closer the shot the less reaction time .... Makes total sense, and even though we get alot of scoring from the D. I would love to see the forwards shoot more often in closer instead of above the circles.... And use some angles , not just on the power play, Get the goalie moving and make him earn the stop , play for a rebound off of a shot , everything thing on net when you have the chance to shoot  ,quit passing up great opportunities for a shot , take it , get dirty and get the rebound.... 120% every shift and smart hockey and we should do fine... Enjoy the game everyone!!!! LET'S GO FLYERS ! ! !!!

7 minutes ago, Pucked in the head said:

Does hak make the right changes in game six and friggin bench gud-ass for the third period....

He needs to right now he is the Pens best weapon....i guess someone slipped him a bag of ca$h to try and take Coots out which didn't work so ore money had to be paid to help throw game 6 which he had done well at!

Glad to see Hak back to being Hak.  Nothing's changed really.  Game 5 didn't change a thing.  I'm convinced he stumbled on to a solution about which he had no clue.  Got lucky.  So, bring in the new assistants for next season.  Take away that excuse.  We'll see how he does.  Players should be improving just through experience, so he'll get some unintended help there - whether he actually has anything to do with that or not......we'll see.  Next season will be a defining moment for him.  Year four of five.  Hopefully we haven't wasted these last three.  Going into season 4, time to produce.  Get out of the first round, at least.

Archived