2017-18 Season Post Mortem

Howie58

6 hours ago, vis said:

The need a legit 3C at the very least and capable PKers.  I don't think the answers lie in the AHL or juniors, so I hope they have a UFA plan or trade ideas lined up.  If they do not address those two issues, prepare for a very long season again.

I think goaltending will be the same next year, with maybe Lyon or Stolarz pushing for more time.  I'm not expecting an improvement there or for Hextall to address it with Elliott/Neuvirth signed and Hart still developing.

I don’t see how they can take Neuvirth seriously at this point.  I’d put him in the press box on the 23 man roster and let him chew up Elliott’s minutes in practice to keep the old moose as fresh as possible. Stolarz is backup while Lyon backs up Hart in Lehigh. Problem is Sandstrom. I’d really like to get a look at him but he’s Flyers or Sweden at this point. 

3c is probably a good call. With Simmonds  likely moving on, you can always try to move whoever you sign to wing in a year or two if Frost becomes legit.  

Capable PKers they probably not have on the team and in the system. Hextall  just has to dress them and Hak just has to ice them and just someone besides Lappy has to coach them. 

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, King Knut said:

Capable PKers they probably not have on the team and in the system. Hextall  just has to dress them and Hak just has to ice them and just someone besides Lappy has to coach them. 

Not to start next year but by April this line combos intrigued me a lot....

Giroux -Coots-NAK

Lindblom Patrick-Konecny

NAK is so good 5 on 5 I think it will help him climb in the lineup by January of 2019.

It will give him time to learn how to find his space in the corners and so good away from the puck it be a welcome on top line (what Hak wanted from TK).

That 2nd I think can surprise with some experience under their wing.

And without saying in the net needs some help.

13 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Not to start next year but by April this line combos intrigued me a lot....

Giroux -Coots-NAK

Lindblom Patrick-Konecny

NAK is so good 5 on 5 I think it will help him climb in the lineup by January of 2019.

It will give him time to learn how to find his space in the corners and so good away from the puck it be a welcome on top line (what Hak wanted from TK).

That 2nd I think can surprise with some experience under their wing.

And without saying in the net needs some help.

We'll see how he adjusts to the Pros, but I also wouldn't put Allison out of the running for that 2nd line.  If he makes it in the NHL it will be because of his ability to shoot and finish and that's the line where I could see that being most effective.

I really don't think they'll be trading Jake though, so I expect to see him somewhere on the top two lines.  I don't know if I even believe they'll get rid of Simmonds, but maybe.  After Schenn anything's possible and a guy can dream.  

I don't think Hextall is going to make any changes in net.  I think at BEST he's going to find a way to come to an equitable solution with Neuvirth, but even that depends on how well Stolarz has recovered. 

12 minutes ago, King Knut said:

We'll see how he adjusts to the Pros, but I also wouldn't put Allison out of the running for that 2nd line.

I was talking about next year not the future beyond really.

Allison has to sign an entry level contract before he can even be considered for next year.

Ron may have plans for him and Laczynski to go back to school for another year, my feeling since they haven't already been signed.

Allison lost a good portion of this past year due to injury so another year may do him some good.

But i think he is the power forward they need.

16 minutes ago, King Knut said:

I really don't think they'll be trading Jake though

I don't either it is just for conversation. However i do expect him to look hard come the draft to maybe move Simmer.

Flyers are stacked at RW and they need to start clearing space for the kids.

He doesn't have to trade Simmer now but he will be moved sometime next year before the trade deadline i think.

18 minutes ago, King Knut said:

I don't think Hextall is going to make any changes in net.

Something in my gut tells me you're wrong about this (or i hope you're wrong) only because we heard rumors during the year they were tired of Neuvy and his injuries and then later once he went down again he did try to shore up the net with the Mrazek trade.

And when they did that i know they had intentions of bringing him back to take one of the job in net.

But it didn't work and Leaky Pete bombed.

However i still think he looks to bring someone else in either trading Neuvy or burying him after the other goalie they bring in to challenge him outplays him and then Neuvy is buried in the AHL.

I know Ron expect to take a step forward next year ing meaning push past the 1st round of the playoffs or bust.

And in order to do that they need better goaltending.

Elliott who will be turing 34 will be in the last year of his deal and then the Flyers could either trade Neuvy to a team needing depth or even Elliott and then bring Neuvy up.

Now listen this is all just a GUESS nothing more i don't have a crystal ball.

No matter what they need a better goalie. PERIOD!

7 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Greetings:

I think Neuvirth is a buyout candidate. I don't see anyone wanting him.  

8 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Ron may have plans for him and Laczynski to go back to school for another year, my feeling since they haven't already been signed.

It helped Ghost, but typically, I'm unimpressed with giving college kids until they're 22-23 to start playing pro hockey.  I just think the two games are so incompatable... I mean it's not like you'd take a successful college coach and assume he'd be a good NHL coach right away, the games are completely and utterly... oh crap.  

He doesn't have to trade Simmer now but he will be moved sometime next year before the trade deadline i think.

I agree.  and I like thinking about trading Jake too... but Simmer's the one more likely to go.  It's a shame he had such a poor year.  It would be harder saying goodbye and we'd have gotten more for him.

Something in my gut tells me you're wrong about this (or i hope you're wrong) only because we heard rumors during the year they were tired of Neuvy and his injuries and then later once he went down again he did try to shore up the net with the Mrazek trade.

Yeah I get all that and I hope you're right about Neuvy because I feel the same way but I can't tell if it's just me applying logic and reasoning to a situation that sometimes seems to lack either.  

However i still think he looks to bring someone else in either trading Neuvy or burying him after the other goalie they bring in to challenge him outplays him and then Neuvy is buried in the AHL.

The real issue is that Stolarz was hurt all year.  In order to bring someone in, Hextall would have to bury Neuvy in the AHL (I'm even thinking ECHL at this point because of the depth chart) AND move or refuse to resign Lyon or Stolarz because I just don't see them sending Carter Hart back to Juniors for another year. 

Another idea I've had for Neuvy is to just carry him on the 23 man roster and use him in practice more.  I forget where I read that, but apparently part of the problem for Neuvy and Elliott isn't just that Hakstol plays them 25 games in a row for no good reason, but that they play what end up being a lot of hard minutes in practice as well and THEN they play 25 games in a row.  These are minutes they play because there needs to be a goalie, but not because they help them stay sharp in much of a way.  So carry Neuvy as that 22nd or 23rd man (they rarely ever use all 23 spots) and just use him as a puck stop in practice to spell Elliott and keep him fresh.  Why not?  You're paying him anyway.  

I know Ron expect to take a step forward next year ing meaning push past the 1st round of the playoffs or bust.

And in order to do that they need better goaltending.

Elliott who will be turing 34 will be in the last year of his deal and then the Flyers could either trade Neuvy to a team needing depth or even Elliott and then bring Neuvy up.

Now listen this is all just a GUESS nothing more i don't have a crystal ball.

They do, but they can't double down on Holtby in his prime when they may have the next Lundqvist or Fleury in the system.  

Raanta is UFA.  So he's a possibility.

I also like the idea of bringing in a guy like Dell in SJ or somehow trading for Anders Nilsson in Vancouver.  They have good numbers, but have just been career backups.  Of course Dell could turn out to be a Leighton type... good with the right D, terrible without it.

It's obvious they need better goaltending.  I would propose that Elliott is better goaltending if he isn't playing in his third game back from Core muscle surgery, but then again if you play him in 120 minute practices and then 25 games in a row, he's going to get hurt again anyway so it doesn't matter.

One thing I can almost guarantee is that they're not going to trade for a legit 1A goalie.  It's just not that time.  It's just so maddening to remember that all they really need to do is build a time machine and go back to 2012 and tie up and gag homer and stuff him in a closet.  

20 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

Greetings:

I think Neuvirth is a buyout candidate. I don't see anyone wanting him.  

THere's no need to waste a buyout on him.  He's done after this year.  They just have to have the balls to bury him in the system.  It's a hard thing to do to a guy, but it has to be done.  

Alternatively the idea I'm proposing is to keep him on the Flyers roster, but don't dress him.  Apparently the hard practice minutes under Hakstol is something that's been contributing to the goalie break down in addition to the multitude starts in a row.  

Carry Neuvy as a Flyer, but just as a practice goalie essentially.  Let him get shot at for 2 hours in the morning so Elliott / Stolarz are more fresh for the game that night.  

2 minutes ago, King Knut said:

I'm unimpressed with giving college kids until they're 22-23 to start playing pro hockey.

They are both only 20. Allison will turn 21 in October and Tanner will be 21 in June still both pretty young.

5 minutes ago, King Knut said:

Hextall would have to bury Neuvy in the AHL (I'm even thinking ECHL at this point because of the depth chart) AND move or refuse to resign Lyon or Stolarz because I just don't see them sending Carter Hart back to Juniors for another year.

They can carry 3 goalies in the AHL no issue there you could have Lyon as the starter to begin with and Hart to back him up. Neuvy could just be the 3rd then if they have to you could see Lyon sent to the ECHL if need be. I'm not saying it is ideal just that it could happen.

Hey you never know they could bring Stolie back to challenge for the net in the NHL loser gets waived or traded away.

12 minutes ago, King Knut said:

They do, but they can't double down on Holtby in his prime when they may have the next Lundqvist or Fleury in the system.  

Holby is only signed for two more years it would be the perfect option till Hart is ready i think he will need two years at least in the AHL.

The problem is it is only fantasy no way the Caps ship him to their rival without some crazy Homer like trade so it ain't happening.

Ron will have to find another option.

4 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

They are both only 20. Allison will turn 21 in October and Tanner will be 21 in June still both pretty young.

Right, they'd be 22 when they taste the AHL in the fall of 2019.  I just think it's rough. 

Vecchione (granted he wasn't drafted) is almost as old as Couturier.  Guy's just starting out and he's as old as the dude who's a grizzled vet.  

Ghost came in pretty young for a college guy at 21 (turned 22 a few days later) in those first few games as a Flyer/Phantom.  Given the choice, I'd just as soon guys with promise leave the NCAA for the AHL when they can.  They should always go back and finish their degrees someday or online.  That's a must.  And I'm not just saying that to be funny.  

Just now, OccamsRazor said:

Holby is only signed for two more years it would be the perfect option till Hart is ready i think he will need two years at least in the AHL.

The problem is it is only fantasy no way the Caps ship him to their rival without some crazy Homer like trade so it ain't happening.

Ron will have to find another option.

Actually that sounds more like a crazy Hextall like trade to me.

Send Holtby to the Sharks or someone, we Send Voracek to the Sharks, they send Holtby to us, we sign Tavares and the world is right.

33 minutes ago, King Knut said:

I just think it's rough.

Huh how do you figure it is rough that is a great age.

Nothing rough at all about it.

It is natural progression for most college kids in that range....think about it you go to college at 18 you graduate at around 21-22 that is if you don't go to a development league first.

Allison and Tanner both spent time in the USHL before college that is normal.

They will be fine.

30 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

They can carry 3 goalies in the AHL no issue there you could have Lyon as the starter to begin with and Hart to back him up. Neuvy could just be the 3rd then if they have to you could see Lyon sent to the ECHL if need be. I'm not saying it is ideal just that it could happen.

Hey you never know they could bring Stolie back to challenge for the net in the NHL loser gets waived or traded away.

I fully expect Stolie to challenge for the backup role on the FLyers.  

23 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Huh how do you figure it is rough that is a great age.

Nothing rough at all about it.

It is natural progression for most college kids in that range....think about it you go to college at 18 you graduate at around 21-22 that is if you don't go to a development league first.

Allison and Tanner both spent time in the UHL before college that is normal.

They will be fine.

...Yeah but THEY weren't coached by Hak in college ;)

On 4/24/2018 at 3:58 PM, ruxpin said:

This is the first I've seen someone type this, but I've actually been thinking this and think you may be right.   I wouldn't be shocked.  I don't want him, but he has been a good soldier, as you say.

I don't want him either.  But if Hextall lets him go, at least you know that Sanheim (or Morin) will be a full timer.  If he resigns him, well then you've got some questions about where Sanheim and Morin fit in the depth chart.  Unless, of course, they trade Gudas.  I do think Manning can find a job somewhere as a bottom pairing guy, so I don't think he'd resign for 7th dman status.  

I've been harping on his playing the PK.   I don't like him out there for that.   But I've also been thinking, who the hell else does Hak put out there?

That's the problem with the roster in general.  There a number of players I dislike in the roles they are given, but who else really fits?  The roster is a bit muddled and I can't blame Hakstol for that.

Hopefully that changes.    I've harped on Lappy as much as anyone, but I think we do have to consider that at least part of the problem was personnel (both on defense and in goal).  

Yes, part of it is personnel and goaltending doesn't help.  But, damn.  They are really bad.  Can't be all personnel...

On 4/24/2018 at 7:11 PM, King Knut said:

That quality combined with decent skating and better than PEB puck handling makes him an ideal 4th liner.  He’s a great for checker and can skate 200 ft several times a shift.  

Essentially he’s a pain in the rump and little more.  Keep him on the 4th (centered by Vex in my world) and he’s very useful for eating up minutes in the other team’s zone while your top 9 catch their breath. 

I don't mind him on the wing, though I wouldn't call him a pain in the ass.  He doesn't seem to be a particularly hard on the puck and he doesn't really agitate or play aggressively.  I'll take him over VV and PEB, though.

On 4/24/2018 at 7:16 PM, King Knut said:

I don’t see how they can take Neuvirth seriously at this point.  I’d put him in the press box on the 23 man roster and let him chew up Elliott’s minutes in practice to keep the old moose as fresh as possible. Stolarz is backup while Lyon backs up Hart in Lehigh. Problem is Sandstrom. I’d really like to get a look at him but he’s Flyers or Sweden at this point. 

It will be interesting in camp to see how the goalie situation plays out assuming they can't deal Elliott or Neuvirth (buyout?).  Neuvirth is maddening and cannot be trusted to play long stretches.  Elliott can't shoulder a full load and is shaky.  Lyon just doesn't seem to have it.  Stolarz missed an entire season.  The goaltender UFA market isn't great.  I think they are going into next year with Elliott/Neuvirth again.

3c is probably a good call. With Simmonds  likely moving on, you can always try to move whoever you sign to wing in a year or two if Frost becomes legit.  

Yes, but who?  Market is not strong.  Brodziak as a 3C?

Eh, not sure about PKers in the system.  I don't know enough about the PK prowess of the younger guys.  But, yes, I do think Lappy needs to go.

10 hours ago, King Knut said:

Raanta is UFA.  So he's a possibility.

Raanta was resigned for three years.

I just see don't see a lot of movement in the goaltender position next year, unless they can unload one of Elliott or Neuvirth.  Most UFAs seem to be no much more than on par with Elliott and Neuvirth, though Bernier had an impressive year.  Tall order to expect Stolarz to challenge after missing an entire season.  Lyon is ok, but doesn't appear to be reliable to split the load with Elliott.  Again, maybe Hextall has to make a trade for someone.  I don't know...maybe Holtby becomes available, but as others point out, historically it has been tough to make a trade within the division.  Though the Devils and Rangers did it recently.

Also, they will need a mentor for Hart when he's ready for the NHL.  Might make sense to trade for someone now who you think will be a good in that role.  Maybe Holtby makes good sense in that department, assuming they would resign him after his current deal expires.

On 4/24/2018 at 1:02 PM, vis said:

First interesting decision, imo, is what they do with Manning.  He seems to be a favorite of the coach's and has been a good soldier.  I think they let him test UFA but won't outright say they don't have interest in signing him.  

1 hour ago, AJgoal said:

I think if they wanted him back, they would have signed him during the regular season.  But, they did the same thing with Weal last year.  But, it's unclear whether Weal's desire to test the UFA market was the reason why a deal didn't get done.  Not sure if that's Manning's thinking as well, but, from his exit quotes, it sure sounds like he'd like to be back.  Maybe this is the last of Manning?

Archived