Jump to content
News Ticker
  • News Around the NHL

Ducks Hockey Forum Coyotes Hockey Forum Bruins Hockey Forum Sabres Hockey Forum Flames Hockey Forum Hurricanes Hockey Forum Blackhawks Hockey Forum Avalanche Hockey Forum Blue Jackets Hockey Forum Stars Hockey Forum Red Wings Jackets Hockey Forum Oilers Hockey Forum Panthers Hockey Forum Kings Hockey Forum Wild Hockey Forum Canadiens Hockey Forum Predators Hockey Forum Devils Hockey Forum Islanders Hockey Forum Rangers Hockey Forum Senators Hockey Forum Flyers Hockey Forum Penguins Hockey Forum Sharks Hockey Forum Blues Hockey Forum Lightning Hockey Forum Maple Leafs Hockey Forum Canucks Hockey Forum Golden Knights Hockey Forum Capitals Hockey Forum Jets Hockey Forum

OccamsRazor

Flyers 2018-19 Offseason moves

Recommended Posts

While I think it's even money that it happens, I [whatever extreme intensifier you can find] HATE the idea of Jordan Weal at 3C.  There is no reason --zero -- for me to believe that guy can handle a 3C role. None. I honestly do not believe that kid is an NHL player.  But to put him at 3C is tantamount to saying, "look at our goalies, f### this season." 

 

I think I agree that Laughton should be given the shot with Vorobyov at 4C, but I think there's a switch made by Christmas when Laughton, too, proves he is entirely incapable to play that role.  I'd prefer him at left wing. On the fourth line. 

 

If Frost isn't ready --and I don't think he is -- I wouldn't be too shocked to see Couturier at 3C and Giroux at 1C.  Or Coots at 2C and Patrick at 3C. Just for one season or until they decide it might be safe to give Vorobyov a shot at 3C.

 

That actually creates a hole at LW, but it might be better than a hole at C. 

Edited by ruxpin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

While I think it's even money that it happens, I [whatever extreme intensifier you can find] HATE the idea of Jordan Weal at 3C.  There is no reason --zero -- for me to believe that guy can handle a 3C role. None. I honestly do not believe that kid is an NHL player.  But to put him at 3C is tantamount to saying, "look at our goalies, f### this season." 

 

I think I agree that Laughton should be given the shot with Vorobyov at 4C, but I think there's a switch made by Christmas when Laughton, too, proves he is entirely incapable to play that role.  I'd prefer him at left wing. On the fourth line. 

 

If Frost isn't ready --and I don't think he is -- I wouldn't be too shocked to see Couturier at 3C and Giroux at 1C.  Or Coots at 2C and Patrick at 3C. Just for one season or until they decide it might be safe to give Vorobyov a shot at 3C.

 

That actually creates a hole at LW, but it might be better than a hole at C. 

 

This was something I somewhat advocated for before the start of free agency, specifically because there were more options at LW than at C, and they'd be cheaper. Center is a more important position than wing. Period. If you can't find a 3C, you're better served moving Giroux back to center and rolling Giroux - Couturier - Patrick down the middle then spending the season playing trial and error at 3C. Sure Giroux - JVR - Lindblom looks better than JVR - Lindblom - Laughton/Raffl, but I think you'll have a stronger team on the whole that way.

 

Consider:

 

Raffl - Giroux - Konecny

Lindblom - Patrick - Voracek

JVR - Couturier - Simmonds

Whoever

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

 

This was something I somewhat advocated for before the start of free agency, specifically because there were more options at LW than at C, and they'd be cheaper. Center is a more important position than wing. Period. If you can't find a 3C, you're better served moving Giroux back to center and rolling Giroux - Couturier - Patrick down the middle then spending the season playing trial and error at 3C. Sure Giroux - JVR - Lindblom looks better than JVR - Lindblom - Laughton/Raffl, but I think you'll have a stronger team on the whole that way.

 

Consider:

 

Raffl - Giroux - Konecny

Lindblom - Patrick - Voracek

JVR - Couturier - Simmonds

Whoever

I think I flip flop JVR and Raffl. I'm not excited by Raffl with Coots and suspect you're trying to make sure Coots has wingers since he's shown what he can do when he has them. 

 

Maybe you'll have the same problem with JVR and TK, but I'm concerned about the redundancy of JVR and Simmonds being similar "park in front of the net" players.  What's worse is that Coots had great success last year doing that too.  

 

Maybe even consider Lindblom with Coots so Patrick doesn't have what amounts to a rookie winger in only his own second year. Put Raffl with Patrick. Or JVR. Patrick, Voracek and JVR could be a hell of a line. 

 

None of it is ideal, but I agree I'd rather weaken left wing than center. 

 

Are we fairly sure neither Twarynski or Radcliffe will be ready? 

Edited by ruxpin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

By the way, @AJgoal, I remember your bringing up the idea of putting Giroux back at center. I was against it at the time and still don't like it all that much but have come around to your idea that it might be the lesser of evils. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I think I flip flop JVR and Raffl. I'm not excited by Raffl with Coots and suspect you're trying to make sure Coots has wingers since he's shown what he can do when he has them. 

 

Maybe you'll have the same problem with JVR and TK, but I'm concerned about the redundancy of JVR and Simmonds being similar "park in front of the net" players.  What's worse is that Coots had great success last year doing that too.  

 

Maybe even consider Lindblom with Coots so Patrick doesn't have what amounts to a rookie winger in only his own second year. Put Raffl with Patrick. Or JVR. Patrick, Voracek and JVR could be a hell of a line. 

 

None of it is ideal, but I agree I'd rather weaken left wing than center. 

 

Are we fairly sure neither Twarynski or Radcliffe will be ready? 

 

I dropped Raffl with Giroux because the last time he spent a season with him, he put in 20 goals. Giroux is still the most prolific scorer on the team, and if Tom Wilson can do it, Raffl can.

 

Radcliffe needs some skating work still, though he seemed much improved this development camp. Twarynski is a guy I really like, but he probably needs another year too. If Nash decides not to retire, I'd kick the tires there. He helps the PK, too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

 

I dropped Raffl with Giroux because the last time he spent a season with him, he put in 20 goals. Giroux is still the most prolific scorer on the team, and if Tom Wilson can do it, Raffl can.

 

Radcliffe needs some skating work still, though he seemed much improved this development camp. Twarynski is a guy I really like, but he probably needs another year too. If Nash decides not to retire, I'd kick the tires there. He helps the PK, too.

Yeah, honestly I get Raffl with Giroux. So, i guess i want to move things around on the other two lines so that I don't end up with JVR, Coots, and Simmonds together.  They either all end up at the net together or two players suffer because they can't play their game. 

 

So, Coots with one of the net hogs and flip the other to Patrick's line. I think flip lindholm and JVR because I'm also not sold on Simmonds with Patrick. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, ruxpin said:

Yeah, honestly I get Raffl with Giroux. So, i guess i want to move things around on the other two lines so that I don't end up with JVR, Coots, and Simmonds together.  They either all end up at the net together or two players suffer because they can't play their game. 

 

So, Coots with one of the net hogs and flip the other to Patrick's line. I think flip lindholm and JVR because I'm also not sold on Simmonds with Patrick. 

 

I'd be fine there. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, ruxpin said:

There is no reason --zero -- for me to believe that guy can handle a 3C role. None. I honestly do not believe that kid is an NHL player.  But to put him at 3C is tantamount to saying, "look at our goalies, f### this season." 

I don't know if I'd go *quite* that far, but yes...Jordan Weal has shown decent offensive instincts, mostly when a season was over and no one gave a ****.  I don't recall ever thinking wow, that little dude backchecks like a mofo, not once.  In fact, I have never thought, wow that little dude has a super compete level...ala #11(who is not really that little). I want my 3C to have that high compete level and be about ruining the other guy's night the way Jordan Staal used to for Pgh before he made his bank. 

I just don't see the qualities I value in Weal's game for that position in the lineup.  

If he wins the job in camp, I hope he surprises us all.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

I don't know if I'd go *quite* that far, but yes...Jordan Weal has shown decent offensive instincts, mostly when a season was over and no one gave a ****.  I don't recall ever thinking wow, that little dude backchecks like a mofo, not once.  In fact, I have never thought, wow that little dude has a super compete level...ala #11(who is not really that little). I want my 3C to have that high compete level and be about ruining the other guy's night the way Jordan Staal used to for Pgh before he made his bank. 

I just don't see the qualities I value in Weal's game for that position in the lineup.  

If he wins the job in camp, I hope he surprises us all.

 

You know, I did see that in Weal for like a 3 week period. Can't remember if it was last season or the one before lol. But he was playing C, and had a strong possession game. He looked like a different player. 

 

So... the good thing about the Weal at 3C experiment is that they can at least get a read on things during camp and see if it's at all viable. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

HOT OFF THE PRESS:

 

Hidden Content

    Give reaction or reply to this topic to see the hidden content.

 

I'll just leave this here should add about 15 more pages by monday...

 

Eklund (i know he loved here).....

 

From a source

"Quite simply, Toronto has the most they can offer for Trouba, even though that asset doesn't fit perfectly into the plans for the Jets...The Jets and Flyers have been talking. It is possible Nylander could be moved to Philly for Sanheim.. The Flyers are still looking for one more piece up front."

It is also possible that the Flyers could talk directly to Toronto and offer up a lesser D-man for Kapanan...who grew up in the Philly area...

Edited by OccamsRazor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/25/2018 at 1:04 PM, OccamsRazor said:

Eklund (i know he loved here).....

 

Moving on. 😎

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like TK is in good shape may have added some needed size...enjoy...

 

Hidden Content

    Give reaction or reply to this topic to see the hidden content.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Looks like TK is in good shape may have added some needed size...enjoy...

 

Hidden Content

    Give reaction or reply to this topic to see the hidden content.

Nice find! I hope they release more of those. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A good read....

 

Figuring out the Flyers defensive pairings

 

Hidden Content

    Give reaction or reply to this topic to see the hidden content.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He basically goes where I would, but he's absolutely wrong in his assertion that Hagg has never played on the right in the NHL - that's where he played when he was paired with Ghost last year. While I really like Provorov - Ghost, I just think that leaves a D pair that has trouble moving the puck. I suppose

 

Provorov - Ghost

Sanheim - Gudas

Hagg - MacDonald 

 

might be ok, but you'll be a bit more balanced with the proposed group.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AJgoal said:

He basically goes where I would, but he's absolutely wrong in his assertion that Hagg has never played on the right in the NHL - that's where he played when he was paired with Ghost last year

That's correct. Few people seem to remember that. 

 

Also, it's odd to me that an entire article on defense and what ifs and no mention of Morin. I realize he doesn't come back until later, but he's as relevant as Myers. 

 

I only like Sanheim with Gudas if the latter plays like two years ago. If Gudas plays like last year, it's a disaster. Either way, that's actually my third pairing.   But the statement is true about Gudas no matter who they put him with. 

 

If Gudas returns to 2 years ago we're in good shape.  If not, that may be what Folin is insurance for. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Strome still doesn't skate well enough, though he's much better than he was this time last year. Frost? I just don't think the Flyers think he has the size yet. Though Couturier's injury should create some more reps for him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

Frost? I just don't think the Flyers think he has the size yet.

 

I don't think size is the problem. He's bigger and taller than TK was in his rookie year. I think the bigger challenge for him is adjusting to the pro game. We don't know that he's ready for the pros yet. He needs to prove that first. Being great in juniors is a nice first step, but it's really just that.

 

I do think he has a shot though. We have no 3C right now of note after all. He needs to show up to play at camp.

 

Giroux / Couts / TK

JVR / Patrick / Voracek

Lindblom / Frost / Simmonds

 

*giddy giddy*

Edited by elmatus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, elmatus said:

 

I don't think size is the problem. He's bigger and taller than TK was in his rookie year. I think the bigger challenge for him is adjusting to the pro game. We don't know that he's ready for the pros yet. He needs to prove that first. Being great in juniors is a nice first step, but it's really just that.

 

I do think he has a shot though. We have no 3C right now of note after all. He needs to show up to play at camp.

Lindblom / Frost / Simmonds

 

I don't think it is either. But every time his name comes up, Pryor and Hextall shoot down his chances with essentially, "He's still too small." I don't recall them doing that with TK.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, AJgoal said:

 

I don't think it is either. But every time his name comes up, Pryor and Hextall shoot down his chances with essentially, "He's still too small." I don't recall them doing that with TK.

 

Maybe they prefer more size in their pivots. It would make sense I suppose.

 

He'd also have to beat out Laughton, Vorobyev, and Vex, all of whom have pro experience. So, while he does have a chance, I can't say it's a very good one. That's a lot of things he has to get right.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, AJgoal said:

 

I don't think it is either. But every time his name comes up, Pryor and Hextall shoot down his chances with essentially, "He's still too small." I don't recall them doing that with TK.

 

Konecny played way more physical than Frost does. Konecny thinks he's 6'3" 220.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Most Liked Posts in This Topic

    • 5
      Post
      Let me get my crayons....
    • 5
      Post
      In regard to Patrick.....   we we all saw what he is capable of when healthy.  If the injuries are behind him he is an all star.   Patrick’s vision  is elite and his ability to make a play at high speed  lethal.     Factor in his size and two way play......when is the last time the Flyers had a prospect of this magnitude?   being out in whl country, I remember watching commentary about him prior to his draft year.  He was going #1.  Whoever gets him is get
    • 4
      Post
      Do you know which other goalie sported a .930 (and a .940) save percentage with St Louis?   Brian Elliott.    
    • 4
      Post
      I’m with ya. He had such a limited sample though. The good thing is that the rest of his game was really solid. He does everything well and has room to mature.   he was snake bitten his first ten games or so... basically doing everything but scoring.  I think he will put it together with a full off season and camp. Wasn’t last year his first year across the pond and on nhl ice?   That has to factor in.   i believe what we saw is his floor. And that alone makes him a solid 3rd
    • 4
      Post
      Konecny played way more physical than Frost does. Konecny thinks he's 6'3" 220.
    • 4
      Post
      Man i can't wait...can't wait....it's that time of year...don't get me wrong i love love the summer but man ain't nothing like the fall and winter.     Football and hockey....best time of the year!!!!!!     Wow hard to believe that it's been that long. I'm thinking being healthy it will show this year he should have been the 1st overall.   But i ain't mad because he wouldn't be a Flyer then...
×
×
  • Create New...