Best first line in the NHL

Fanboy

The William Karlsson, Jonathan Marchessault, Riley Smith first line for the Golden Knights is the best first line in the NHL.  This line is better than the Perry, Getzlaf line in Anaheim, better than the Stamkos line in Tampa, the Mathews line in Toronto, the Kane line in Chicago, the Wheeler line in Winnipeg, the Gauedreau, Monahan line in Calgary, the Sedin Twins line in Vancouver, better than any line in the NHL.

Case closed

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/golden-knights-boast-elite-top-line-thanks-karlsson/

47 minutes ago, Fanboy said:

The William Karlsson, Jonathan Marchessault, Riley Smith first line for the Golden Knights is the best first line in the NHL.  This line is better than the Perry, Getzlaf line in Anaheim, better than the Stamkos line in Tampa, the Mathews line in Toronto, the Kane line in Chicago, the Wheeler line in Winnipeg, the Gauedreau, Monahan line in Calgary, the Sedin Twins line in Vancouver, better than any line in the NHL.

Case closed

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/golden-knights-boast-elite-top-line-thanks-karlsson/

Hmm....any substance to this?

I mean, I will agree the Vegas 'top line' is quite good, as is the team, however, ANYONE can sit and say "XXXXX is the best line in hockey".

How about a bit of context...some numbers maybe...some examples of top notch gamesmanship?

Not really disputing what you are saying, mind you (hard to do that when the Knights are doing as well as they are), but I AM saying the claim means nothing without substance.

This is a message board.

"Case closed" topics may as well be just that......closed topics.

But we do better here....and I suspect you have some real reasoning and examples of this boast.

Please indulge us.

Also, "top line" is HIGHLY subjective.

Sure, by definition, top line means the teams top three players, but anyone who has watched hockey for more than an expansion season knows quite well that "top line" means the team's most consistent players throughout a given season and into a given post season....and that VERY well could be the team's so-called 2nd line...in some rare cases, maybe even an elite, rugged 3rd line.

Starting with my own teams, I rather like Brayden Point-Tyler Johnson-Ondrej Palat/Yanni Gourde SECOND line as the top line.

Here are a trio of guys (Palat and Gourde have been swapped depending on how each is doing) who play offense, play shut down, can go against the other teams' top pair or third pair, and not really miss a beat.

TB needs a goal, and these guys, more often than not, come up with the goods....yes, even more consistently at times than the Stamkos-Kucherov-Miller "top line".

Just as example.

So yea....enlighten us please on how you see the Vegas top three guys vs the rest of the league and why.

I know I post and expect lots of info..... I am an administrative type by trade, it's in my nature :bigteeth: .

Peruse my post at your leisure...I will wait....

No. Very good line but no.

Top line in Hockey by far hands down not open for debate is in Dallas, Seguin, Benn and Radulov. All three scored 72 points or more, the reason Dallas was home for the playoffs is the ineptitude of the rest of the teams forwards, the top three actually outscored all other forwards on the Stars combined. 

Now if you said what is the best line and included salary in the equation I might go along with ya, but for on ice production it is easily the trio in Dallas. 

The other line that I would rank right up there with anyone and ahead of any excepting the one in Dallas is Rantanen, MacKinnon and Landeskog. Wow did they have a monster year making the Avalanche relevant again. Mackinnon may even have been the most valuable player in the league this past year.

Great holy hell, @yave1964 ...that isn't...that isn't REASONING you are using is it!?? :ph34r:

Heh...sorry, couldn't help it.

How about the Crosby-Guentzel-Whomever line?

I don't particularly like the Pens, but cmon….put just about anybody...ANYBODY with Crosby, and the man DOES have the ability to raise the level of their play.

Guentzel seems to be able to carry his own weight, and whomever gets put into that other wing will benefit as well....anyone from Kessel all the way down to Rust or Kuhnhackl.

And this isn't just hype.

LOOONG gone from the playoffs this season, and both Crosby and Guentzel STILL rank tied for 3rd (behind Cup Finalists Ovehckin and Kuznetsov) in overall points.

Pretty impressive, if you ask me, for linemates whose team was bounced in the 2nd round.

@TropicalFruitGirl26

Glancing through the first post I read Reilly (not Riley) smith misspelled and the overall conclusion with no supporting evidence  and I wondered if we had a relative of a certain halibut eating Lumina driving member in here......

7 hours ago, yave1964 said:

The other line that I would rank right up there with anyone and ahead of any excepting the one in Dallas is Rantanen, MacKinnon and Landeskog. Wow did they have a monster year making the Avalanche relevant again. Mackinnon may even have been the most valuable player in the league this past year.

This will come across as extremely homerish (and you both know I'm not), but I'll risk laughter and put the Flyers Giroux--Couturier--Konecny/Voracek line there. Despite playing the top line only half the year, Giroux--Couturier--Konecny had only 4 points less than the Dallas line.  I did not separate out PP on figuring for either team.  I also didn't figure what percentage of each team's points each line scored. 

But while the bottom two lines slept, the Couturier line was dominant.  They should at least be in the conversation. 

Funny thing is, guys, if one is going to be so bold as to say that Karlsson-Marchessault-Smith is the best line in hockey, it actually takes AWAY from what the Vegas Golden Knights do best, and how they are built.....that is to say, they play a complete team game.

One of the reasons they are so tough to beat is because there is less distinction lines 1-4 than most teams.

They truly roll out 4 lines, and while the top six are obviously still the top six, unlike other teams who have a top line of elite players and the drop off is steep after that, that doesn't really exist with Vegas.....if that makes any sense.

Sounds like a case of wanting it both ways.....

"Well, Vegas plays a team game unlike any other" 

Oh, but wait... "Vegas has the best top line in hockey....case closed"

Seems to me it is either one or the other......

Make no mistake, that Vegas line is good, I don't think anyone disputes that..... but THE best in hockey? By what metric?

Overall production? PP numbers? Collection of Pokémon cards? What??  I am still waiting to hear from the Knights' #1 fan on this.

But anyways, Wild Bill-Riley-March don't HAVE to be the best top line in hockey...not when they play the complete team game, MAF is just not letting anything through, and the defensemen play unremarkable, non descript, yet solid and effective D.

And BTW...another team and line I don't really care for, but would be a fool not to acknowledge, is Boston's Bergeron-Marchand-Pastrnak.

Scoring, backchecking, speed, intelligence, licking......that line seemingly does it all...

So @TropicalFruitGirl26 you want numbers well here are some numbers as posted on LeftWingLock@Fanboy is not necessarily incorrect in stating the VGK line is the best line in the NHL last season, but they are clearly one of the top 2 imo.

best NHL Line.png

Nashville has 2 lines here in the top 10 and by all means should have been in the SCF.  But then that is why we play the games.

15 minutes ago, hf101 said:

So @TropicalFruitGirl26 you want numbers well here are some numbers as posted on LeftWingLock@Fanboy is not necessarily incorrect in stating the VGK line is the best line in the NHL last season, but they are clearly one of the top 2 imo.

best NHL Line.png

Nashville has 2 lines here in the top 10 and by all means should have been in the SCF.  But then that is why we play the games.

Very nice.

Now, see...THIS is something lets people see what is meant when a claim is made.

The Vegas guys, as suspected, ARE one of the more productive lines in hockey.

Of course, the claim still stood as "best line in hockey....case closed" and while production is what the bottom line (no pun intended) is when it comes to combinations, there are also other areas...maybe some real time stuff...hitting, turnovers, takeaways.

Or how about drawing penalties vs committing penalties (who tends to leave their team short handed the most).

Are there sections that address those on left wing lock (I really, really MUST learn to use those kinds of sites better...sometimes the sheer amount of stats on some of these sites overwhelm me 🙃 )?

Interesting that two teams, known for their offense, don't even show up on the top 10 represented by a line.....Tampa Bay and Anaheim.

So much for my Point-Palat-Johnson line....  but I bet they got Vegas beat on Pokémon cards.... 😁

10 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Are there sections that address those on left wing lock (I really, really MUST learn to use those kinds of sites better...sometimes the sheer amount of stats on some of these sites overwhelm me 🙃 )?

damn.... I have to remind myself not to keep sharing my fhl secrets.  :IDunnoSmiley:  

The Kucherov line was a lot higher throughout the year but dropped after trading away Namestnikov.  

10 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

LWL is a really good site for FHL.  There are others too that I like.  I agree the sheer wealth if STATS can be overwhelming.  Its all how you approach it.  :smileyandcomputer:

• 2 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Wayne Gretzky centering Jari Kurri and it didn't matter who else...easy.  

If we're going all time, this is hard to argue against.

I'd put Gordie Howe, Sid Abel, and Ted Lindsay up there, too (at least in the conversation), it's really hard to argue against the numbers with Gretzky & Kurri & :oilers:

Archived