Star power

Tomdog

Parise, Granlund, Zucker, Gaborik...heck even Koivu in his prime.

Just off the top of my head.
All have scored highlight reel goals in the past....some of those guys will continue to do so in the future.

Minnesota may not have a history of prolific scorers or fancy pants shooters, but unless you are new to Minnesota hockey, hard to say "you will never see a Wild player make a highlight reel play"

You are right Illa, Hockey News listed it as "one of the best OT winners you'll ever see".

Was it last season or the one before Granny scored another brilliant OT winner when he deked through the Kings trio and fooled Quick as well. I remember that being on headlines.

Rolston's slappers in the shootouts are still widely remembered in the league.

Once in a while you'll see them Tom, don't worry. What I would agree with you; we've never been stacked with high end players. Veteran star FA's don't land in here, other than those washed up heatleys and vaneks.

Lets not forget that some players aren't "media-sexy" either. For instance, over here in Finland, you often see writings about Laine, but you pretty much never see anything about Mikko Rantanen (best finnish player in the league last year with 84 points) and very, very rarely about Alexander Barkov (probably the best center from Finland currently).

Biased media is biased.

• 2 weeks later...

For sure the Wild have players on those reels. You don't see it often as we are not built as a team of talented and beautiful highlight reel goal scorers. We are more of a roll up the sleeves and get dirty scoring group. Once in a while you see a beautiful highlight reel goal from one of our players. But you also have to factor in media and players names and realize we don't have that "it" name player leagues love to highlight. Parise and Suter are arguably our biggest names and they are not in the top 30 for names NHL would pick from to showcase.

On 10/26/2018 at 11:35 AM, Tomdog said:

I just watched a highlight reel on nhl.com. Not routine. Why is it I have the feeling I will never see a wild player make anything near what I just watched. 

(shrugs)  Often MNSOTA and I would turn to NHL Network after a good Wild game to see what their talking heads had to say about it.  What happened nearly every time we did; we'd hear them talk about the Penguins or Capitals game maybe 3-4 times...plus some other games and then well over an hour later.  Oh yea, the Wild played tonight...here is a little highlight package...mention a stat, and then go back to talking about the Penguins.  The Wild barely exist on the NHL's 'team awareness' radar.  The only teams that get talked about less than the Wild are Carolina, Florida and Arizona.  

I still get asked this question from time to time from my peers...why is it the Wild now, weren't they the North Stars?  

10 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

(shrugs)  Often MNSOTA and I would turn to NHL Network after a good Wild game to see what their talking heads had to say about it.  What happened nearly every time we did; we'd hear them talk about the Penguins or Capitals game maybe 3-4 times...plus some other games and then well over an hour later.  Oh yea, the Wild played tonight...here is a little highlight package...mention a stat, and then go back to talking about the Penguins.  The Wild barely exist on the NHL's 'team awareness' radar.  The only teams that get talked about less than the Wild are Carolina, Florida and Arizona.  

I still get asked this question from time to time from my peers...why is it the Wild now, weren't they the North Stars?  

That may be a Wisconsin thing. lol

Just say'in. :CelebratingSmiley:

On 11/6/2018 at 6:09 PM, rottenrefs said:

That may be a Wisconsin thing. lol

Just say'in. :CelebratingSmiley:

No doubt that is a factor.  However, they still show a lot of Wild games on Fox Sports Net-Wisconsin...and its not like the team is brand new anymore either.  

Archived