Game 20: Tampa vs. Philadelphia 11/17/2017 @ Wells Fargo Center 1:00 pm

Hockey-78

8 minutes ago, flyerrod said:

See above...I added the reason for why I say so.

So you did. I watched the whole game and saw an unorganised D. Bolts tapped two goals to an open net and Andy wasn't the culprit in those. And because someone is on ice doesn't necessarily mean he's all to blame for that particular goal. I think your comment was a hyperbole by definition and believe you meant it as such. I'm not here to pick a fight, let's move on.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Hockey-78 said:

I think your comment was a hyperbole by definition and believe you meant it as such. I'm not here to pick a fight, let's move on.

MacDud and his constant retreat/never challenge and skate backwards like the wind and give up the blue line, EVERY FREAKIN'TIME, is and will always be a problem as long as AM is on the ice. He would not even rate as a seventh d-man on any other team in the league. I have not been critical of Hakstol and trying to give him some leeway but if he played MacDud over a healthy Folin, he should be fired. Period. 

11 minutes ago, Hockey-78 said:

I'm not here to pick a fight, let's move on.

I'm not either i respect your opinion.

We don't agree.

It might not be the last time.

Not matter what we can agree on one thing. THE FLYERS SUCK!!!!!!

14 minutes ago, Hockey-78 said:

I watched the whole game and saw an unorganised D.

This is true.

But the goaltending is sub par by league standards. The numbers bare that out.

Also change of subject but i check your profile you are in finland...Finnish or just live there??

OK, we don't have Bernie in goal.  But as best I can tell, Pickard faced shots that were high percentage. If he flubbed two..and I will be conservative, the others would be very, very difficult to stop.  

The late heroics were good to watch. But then you have to ask why they were needed.  There was terrible D. Our PP took two periods to wake up.  I am finding it hard to watch this squad.  I bought tickets for the Black Friday game--I am heading north to visit for Turkey Day.  I have some regrets. 

In the post-game show, JJ and Keith Jones discussed the awful penalty kill, commenting that it has been a problem for the past few years, and that there would be no playoffs unless it was repaired quickly.  They commented on possible need for change of personnel.  Strangely, there was no comment on coaching.  They did say, quite strongly, that our plus/minus of -15 on special teams was worst in the league and was a big issue.  

We are at the 20 game mark and the n is big enough to draw some conclusions.  It isn't pretty.  

The boys finally released the death grip on their sticks and scored some goals, they went to the big boy places with their big boy pants and made ****** plays.  

I get the shits of reading how "soft and gutless" this group of players is because it's not true.

Sure they haven't fought yet, but to say they don't put out professional level effort is ridiculous and flat out wrong...you're all welcome to @ me about this.

Watching that game yesterday I saw the Flyers work and work and work some more to finally get a goal, they had the puck for nearly entire game,  The 3 or 4 times there was a miscue the puck wound up behind the Flyers goalie yet they managed to keep the pressure on and tie a game Tampa truly had little business winning.

The goaltending is ****** terrible. The penalty kill is terrible, these two rather important aspects of the game must be addressed or this team will waste this season. 

5 v5 they are a good team, the power play was generating chances but not cashing in maybe that nut has been cracked....but for me, the lack of scoring on the PP wasn't because they weren't getting chances.

If we can see this I'm sure Ron and Comcast can too, if it means giving up a precious prospect to bring back an NHL goalie I think this must be considered.  Elliot is not the answer, he's okay- Neuwirth is never available, Lyon Meh -Stolarz ??? Hart is 20 and needs to become a pro.  Make a trade, get a player, give quality to get quality. 

This team would be a contender if they could play knowing their goalkeeper could erase a mistake rather than dig the puck out of the net.

The penalty kill is a joke, there are no signs of it "getting better" the way the PP was showing signs of life. 

Straighten these two things out and this team could make some noise, ignore them and this season will be wasted. 

Missed the game.  What are the takeaways?  Looking at the 5v5 stats, things looked kind of OK.  Was it a good effort undone by bad goaltending and poor PK?  I certainly like the resiliency in the 3rd period, but I am bothered that the game even got to that point.  Also, was it more of the Flyers being resilient or TB letting up too much and them having goalie woes of their own?  Aside from Pickard, who looked bad?  Anyone look good?  Need answers, dammit!

54 minutes ago, vis said:

Missed the game.  What are the takeaways?  Looking at the 5v5 stats, things looked kind of OK.  Was it a good effort undone by bad goaltending and poor PK?  I certainly like the resiliency in the 3rd period, but I am bothered that the game even got to that point.  Also, was it more of the Flyers being resilient or TB letting up too much and them having goalie woes of their own?  Aside from Pickard, who looked bad?  Anyone look good?  Need answers, dammit!

The game wasn't dissimilar to the previous game. Flyers had jump early, and controlled 5v5 play for most of the game. They got their chances. Outshot TB almost 2:1 (45-26).

Goaltending certainly didn't help. But this is one game where I wouldn't blame the PK. TB has the 4th ranked PP in the league, and we're the bottom PK team, so it was kind of expected. 

Familiar script, though. Flyers didn't cash in on their early chances, and TB did. 

The top line looked good. Basically neutralized TB's top line, who had 0 ES points, while our top line had 3 ES points. JVR had a lot of jump and was noticeable - 1g, 2a. The Patrick line looked just ok. Patrick, in particular, didn't have a great game. He tried a lot of OHL-level type plays that just didn't work. Hagg, Gudas, and Sanheim had strong games. Provorov had a so-so game. 

The fact that they clawed their way back in historical fashion (latest start in a game for a 4-goal comeback) and salvaged a point is great. TB is a cup favourite. 

@vis

It was a weird game, the result felt unjust. 

There were seriously like 5 minutes of game time where the Flyers weren't controlling the play or so it seemed.

Provorov got beat by Braden Point...news flash a lot of guys get beaten by him.

The Flyers would push the play, and push some more and not score. First opportunity by the Lightning they're on the score sheet.

The first period was all Flyers, but 0-0 at the break...

then..a penalty; the penalty kill is actually playing well, killed off one, Tampa has nothing going on the second either but scored on a meh shot. The Flyers push some more and give  up another goal on a seemingly nothing play...

This was frustrating to watch, every little mistake wound up behind Pickard. The boys kept at it though, they went through a stretch towards the end of the 2nd period or maybe the beginning of the 3rd where like 3 guys broke their sticks taking shots, Gudas and TK i'm not sure if the third stick was a Flyer or bolt's . After that though the Flyers luck seemed to change , they were going to the net getting into high % areas and finally cashing in. 

Simmonds tied it on a super high effort play taking 3 whacks at the puck as he's falling / getting dragged down, then gets wrong footed for the game winner in OT... the goaltending and PK again were the Achilles heel.

19 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Provorov got beat by Braden Point...news flash a lot of guys get beaten by him

My issue that he got beat by him as to HOW he got beat by him....outmuscled and Ivan had 30+ pounds on him. Strange indeed.

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

My issue that he got beat by him as to HOW he got beat by him....outmuscled and Ivan had 30+ pounds on him. Strange indeed.

yeah, it happens.

also Point might be the fastest skater in the league, I'll bet he's strong as hell.

Archived