Wild vs. Coyotes 11/27/18 @ 7:00PM CST at the X

CreaseAndAssist

Wild vs. Coyotes Game Preview

Minnesota Wild (14-7-2)  30pts  2nd in the Central

3.26 Goals For Per Game (12th in the NHL)

2.70 Goals Against Per Game (4th in the NHL)

21.5% Power Play (12th in the NHL)

85.2% Penalty Kill (3rd in the NHL)

Top 5 Scorers:

1. #64 Mikael Granlund ~ 10G 13A = 23pts

2. #11 Zach Parise ~ 10G 10A = 20pts

3. #9 Mikko Koivu ~ 4G 15A = 19pts

4. #20 Ryan Suter ~ 3G 15A = 18pts

5. #24 Matthew Dumba ~ 10G 7A = 17pts

Top 3 PIM’s:

1. #17 Marcus Foligno ~ 23 PIM’s

2. #21 Eric Fehr ~ 20 PIM’s

3. #36 Nick Seeler ~ 15 PIM’s

Top Goaltenders:

1. #40 Devan Dubnyk (9-5-2)  2.48GAA  .921%SP

2. #32 Alex Stalock (5-2-0)  2.45GAA  .913%SP

Vs.

Arizona Coyotes (9-11-2)  20pts  7th in the Pacific

2.36 Goals For Per Game (29th in the NHL)

2.82 Goals Against Per Game (10th in the NHL)

15.5% Power Play (26th in the NHL)

90.3% Penalty Kill (1st in the NHL)

Top 5 Scorers:

1. #9 Clayton Keller ~ 6G 8A = 14pts

2. #23 Oliver Ekman-Larsson ~ 2G 10A = 12pts

3. #8 Nick Schmaltz ~ 2G 9A = 11pts

4. #21 Derek Stepan ~ 6G 4A = 10pts

5. #40 Michael Grabner ~ 5G 5A = 10pts

Top 3 PIM’s:

1. #67 Lawson Crouse ~ 26 PIM’s

2. #44 Kevin Connauton ~ 18 PIM’s

3. #23 Oliver Ekman-Larsson ~ 18 PIM’s

Top Goaltenders:

1. #32 Antti Raanta (5-6-0)  2.78GAA  .909%SP

2. #35 Darcy Kuemper (4-5-2)  2.71GAA  .914%SP

I wrote up the game preview today, MNSOTA will be on the post-gamer which has all kinds of extras about the Iowa Wild and prospects ready to go (spoiler alert).  This is a bit of a trap game IMO.  The Coyotes are coming off being dominated by Calgary on Sunday and so they made a deal that probably shook up the fairly young room since it involved younger players.  No doubt we'll probably see a little extra hustle out of the Coyotes tonight.  This is the kind of game where the Wild should do well; but they can't just show up and think it will happen.  Enjoy and discuss!  

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agree. Despite of losing 4 out of last 5 games Coyotes team should be taken for us as a serious opponent - 1st(90.3%) in NHL on PK, 1st in NHL on shorthanded goals (10), and ,probably, 1st in NHL as a trapping team. I remember last season we were trapped by that team few times because we did not take that team seriously. Hope we will be able to build a good cushion of goals during the 1st period, and like LIG said - "do not let them believe they can win".

Agree the Wild simply can't assume this is a 'gimmee' game....and in truth, if ANYONE on the team thinks in those terms, well, they really shouldn't be on the roster. Certainly not the way to be taken seriously as a playoff contender, much less a Champion.

Anyways, the Yotes are full of young players, and as was mentioned, after the recent trade, they will be looking to impress.
I particularly like that Nick Schmaltz.... he seemed to have very high end talents and instincts while playing with the Hawks.
Granted, he had the likes of Toews, Kane and Saad on the same roster, but I think he can find some chemistry with some of Arizona's talented core...maybe he can help finally get the underperforming Alex Galchenyuk back on track....

Minnesota's offense will be tested as well because the Coyotes, surprisingly can be very stingy in goals allowed. You look at some games where Arz has been blown out or allowed quite a few goals and go "How can that be?", but they also have many games where they've kept teams to very low goal totals...even if they ultimately end up losing the game.

And their PK, ranked number one, will certainly smother the Minnesota PP if the Wild don't put urgency into their game and go into full attack mode.
A passive PP simply will not get it done against the Coyotes.

With the young team the Yotes have, if the Wild can constantly apply pressure, they can get some of those young players to panic a bit and not play their positions to the best of their abilities and that should leave nice clean shot lines to the Arizona goal.

Minnesota could be catching the Coyotes at a good time too.
Losers of their last 4 in a row, and the last two, badly beaten on the scoreboard by Calgary (6-1) and Colorado (5-1)...but one thing those two teams did that Minnesota needs to do:  Again, back to the pressure offense.

Hopefully the extended time between games hasn't had a negative affect on the Wild.
That big, big emotional win against the Jets should be clearly in the rearview mirror now, as they have to focus on teams like the Coyotes, whom they may not have any sort of rivalry with, but two points are available nonetheless, and the Wild will have to play this one like those two points will be making all the difference in their playoff standing at season's end...………...because you know, it just might be!

Back to work boys.
Go Wild GO!!  677358346_VikingSkoool.gif.7bb4933d9837f89c81341946680aa26e.gif
:wild:  

I think you attack this team and you don't let up.  Calgary just blitzed them by working pucks deep and then crashing the net.  The Wild can do the same.  Physically, the Wild are bigger throughout their lineup.  Expect Arizona to try to play a fast, up-tempo game.  

FYI, I updated the 'Yotes lines with Schmaltz now in the lineup.  He's going to be playing along side Stepan and Keller as expected.

1 hour ago, DevinWieser said:

Most Blackhawks are going to the Coyotes and it is simply where "Blackhawks go to die" (or retire). It sounds like the Hawks are going towards a full rebuild. 

Well, that could have been true in recent seasons, but don't be surprised if Arizona gets their schtick together before Chicago does again.

Yotes have been building through the draft, have not made any crazy splashy contract signings and seemingly have adopted a defense first mentality....boring as that may be.

But I think in the long run, it will pay off for them and getting young guys like Schmaltz to go along with established guys like Galchenyuk and Stepan is a good direction to be heading as the team tries to find NHL relevancy.

This is why Minnesota fans simply cannot look at the standings and go, "Oh, Arizona...it's a win".

I fully expect the Wild, if they aren't still hazy from the time off, to be ABLE to beat these guys, but I know they are gonna have to work real hard for it..

I know it's such a simplistic cliché - after the WPG game, a classic "trap"  game.   But I'm still psyched by the Wpg game, I hope the Wild players carry that same enthusiasm into this game1   Dead on - get on them early!

Archived