Post Hextall press conference thread

Poulin20

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking for a different voice from a GMs point of view = Get better now.  They have an eye on the Feb trade deadline.

Home says Hexy was unyielding in his plan.  Homer says, "good for him, he is a well thought out guy, he put is in a good position but we need someone to put us in a better position."

Dave Scott "He was very confident in his plan, but we thought it was time for a change". 

16 minutes ago, Poulin20 said:

Homer says the coaching staff  have done "a decent job under the circumstances"".

WTF does that mean??

Is that basically taking a shot at Hextall stiffing them in net with Elliott and Neuvy both being brought back.

Then i have to agree with that.

And then not axing Lappy this past offseason??

I would agree too.

Like i have said somewhere around here  Hextall did some great thing like building the prospect pool up. Bravo best i have ever seen.

However when it come to adding talent already in the NHL he sucked at it.

Maybe his best trade was getting two draft picks and Gudas for Coburn.

Then trading Vinny and eventually Kimmo.

He struggled greatly with adding skill talent that he could plug and play with. It was his downfall. See Wiese, Weal and Lehtera.

1 minute ago, mkscrewy said:

did he say anything about "fix PK now"?

Sadly no, not specifically, however reading between the lines they were saying what we are looking at currently is just not acceptable.  They also mentioned that they did notice some things on the business side (i.e. drop in attendance). 

2 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

WTF does that mean??

Is that basically taking a shot at Hextall stiffing them in net with Elliott and Neuvy both being brought back.

Then i have to agree with that.

And then not axing Lappy this past offseason??

I would agree too.

Like i have said somewhere around here  Hextall did some great thing like building the prospect pool up. Bravo best i have ever seen.

However when it come to adding talent already in the NHL he sucked at it.

Maybe his best trade was getting two draft picks and Gudas for Coburn.

Then trading Vinny and eventually Kimmo.

He struggled greatly with adding skill talent that he could plug and play with. It was his downfall. See Wiese, Weal and Lehtera.

I think you hit the nail on the head with your analysis.  I took it to mean that there were needs to be addressed in the offseason and he did almost nothing to fix them and then when pressured to make a big move now he was "unrelenting" in his approach which ultimately led to his demise.  Homer basically said, and this is all my words not his, if he wants to be that way, good for him, but its not good for the Flyers.

Those stooges provided zero answers.

Zero.

Homer;We fired the guy but we don't have a guy in mind.

Homer: I don't know how to fix it, the next guy will get to fix it.

Homer: I don't know.

Dave Scott: corporate buzzword, bias towards action weeks not months.

The team is in good hands ?

really?

Just now, Poulin20 said:

They also mentioned that they did notice some things on the business side (i.e. drop in attendance). 

They can't be happy with all the new opportunities to get fans' money amenities at the Big Bank Building that there were fewer actual butts in seats to fleece cheer on the team.

I am quite curious what "the next guy" will do to "fix" this team. Should be interesting.

12 minutes ago, mkscrewy said:

sounds like he said "win now" but did he say anything about "fix PK now"?

no, but Holmgren did say he talked to Hakstol about his staff.  That was sort of interesting to me.  Seemed like a shot at the PK/PP.  Curious who had control over the staff.  I get the sense that Hakstol never had much say.  

2 minutes ago, vis said:

no, but Holmgren did say he talked to Hakstol about his staff.  That was sort of interesting to me.  Seemed like a shot at the PK/PP.  Curious who had control over the staff.  I get the sense that Hakstol never had much say.  

Yeah I heard that too and wished he would have expounded a bit more on that but am assuming that he doesn't want to throw them under the bus publicly in the current environment but will certainly make his feelings known to the next GM. 

11 minutes ago, Poulin20 said:

I think you hit the nail on the head with your analysis.  I took it to mean that there were needs to be addressed in the offseason and he did almost nothing to fix them and then when pressured to make a big move now he was "unrelenting" in his approach which ultimately led to his demise.  Homer basically said, and this is all my words not his, if he wants to be that way, good for him, but its not good for the Flyers.

And i agree there has to be a balance with trying to build up the prospect pools and also maintaining a competitive NHL club.

You have to have a good NHL and then evaluate when and where there are holes and try to address those deficiencies sort of before they arrive.

The new GM must develop talent through the draft and then know when and where to use free agency to plug holes till the kids have shown they are ready and then know when to move on from aging guys already on the club. 

Easier said than done.

So with all that in mind it sounds like they need an experienced guy to do this not waste time with a young guy who still has a lot to learn.

7 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Those stooges provided zero answers.

Zero.

Homer;We fired the guy but we don't have a guy in mind.

Homer: I don't know how to fix it, the next guy will get to fix it.

Homer: I don't know.

Dave Scott: corporate buzzword, bias towards action weeks not months.

The team is in good hands ?

really?

holy ****, my exact thoughts.

Dave Scott is a neophyte and essentially an empty vessel.  He said nothing insightful or important during that press conference.

If I took a drink every time Holmgren said "I don't know," I'd be as drunk as him.  

No real answers.  They stuck to talking points, which sort of straddled the line of praising Hextall but making clear he was the reason this team isn't better.  I actually thought they looked kind of bad.  It came off to me like this was a bit of a knee-jerk reaction and not well thought out.

Bottom line: Holmgren & Co. want to trade prospects to improve the roster.  Hextall didn't agree.  Look for moves in the coming weeks, regardless of whether a new GM is hired before then.  Nylander or Panarin, imo, will the centerpieces.  Maybe they even try to get Bobrovsky.  Just wonder how much it will cost and set the franchise back.

2 minutes ago, vis said:

: Holmgren & Co. want to trade prospects to improve the roster.

Yep a return to the old ways. So basically this whole 5 year wait was for nothing. They committed to Hexy's plan and then couldn't take it no more. Because they one don't really know how to build a winner.

#scaredas****

Archived