Niederreiter Traded For Victor Rask

bbgarnett

On 1/17/2019 at 2:10 PM, IllaZilla said:

Nino was tradeable since he didn't have a NTC. Problem was a lot of GM's were scared off by the $5M price tag.

This reminds me of the Martin Havlat/Dany Heatley trade...two struggling, overpriced players swapped for each other in the hopes that a change of scenery will ignite something...

I was thinking more like the Pouliot / Latendresse trade.  But the same motive mostly...does Rask like poutine?

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, sweetshot said:

I agree with you regarding Nino's treatment. For whatever reason the Wild seems to have a lukewarm attitude toward him. That goes back to Yoe's days.

Maybe he left too many water spots on Mikko's Mercedes.

I think Nino is a classic example of a guy needing a change of scenery--IMO he'll do well for Carolina.

Nino was frustratingly inconsistent.  At times he could be your best player, even your most dangerous offensive player.  But it became more fleeting in the last two seasons.  Still...even an average year for Nino was as good as Rask's best ones.  Considering they're roughly the same age...this was all about the $$$ and to a lesser extent it was a shot across the bow of a super comfortable locker room.  

We have now added two more small/soft players in exchange for a larger more aggressive player (and more consistent scorer).  Given our issues in the past seveal years of playoffs, in terms of; lack of size, lack of aggression and absence of timely scoring, we just exacerbated our playoff issues with trades.  We also traded someone whom scored to move us past the Avs in Rd 1 a few years back for guys that have done nothing to that effect.  Lastly, the Country Club of vets that have failed us in the playoffs for years, remain untouched and unaccountable.  If we are going to make these types of inexplicable roster moves to zero return value, then just blow it the hell up.  No ‘shot across the bow’ will ever get the attention of the Country Club.  

Rask isn't small.   I'm yet to be convinced he is a "soft" player earlier.   My memory is that he's neither small or soft.   Unlike the usual posters on these boards nowadays, I'm not making my mind up about him until I've seen him play for the Wild.  Same for the other kid.   I'm not pre-judging Rask before he even sets foot on the ice for the Wild.  The other kid?  He  works out, great.  He doesn't, so what?   Cost nothing to get and minimal hit against the Cap.

From my personal observation the few games of Carolina that I've watched the last few years Rask seemed like a decent player.   Problem was, he's a 2nd, 3rd Liner and Carolina was/is such an absolutely chitty trainwreck of a team that they need him to a Top 2 line Scoring Center-type.  I think he's a lot like a smaller Mikko kind of Center.    Not as strong or as hockey smart as Mikko, but the same kind of Two Way guy.   I don't give a chit about his Plus Minus considering the crap teams he played on.

Nino, on the other hand.   I think he was a scare crow with lots of tools but no hockey sense or brains.  Ran around a lot but way too often skated the wrong way.    Classic chicken with head cut off syndrome.  Obviously Nino was currently a very bad fit with the Wild.  Good move to get rid of his contract IMO.

Will Rask contribute?  I think more than Nino was.   I'm OK with the trade.  Not saying it's a great trade, we'll know that in a few years but right now I'm not being a Hater until I see more.  No regerts seeing Nino go.

Thing I think SUCKS and is a stupid move (IF they do it) is moving Coyle away from Centering Parise.

You won’t like Rask when you see him play 10 games.  He IS soft, I didn’t say small.  The othe trade player is small.   Last thing Wild need is a lesser Koivu.  But, I guess we will all see the depth of trade stupidity over next 25 games.  

2 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Nino was frustratingly inconsistent.  At times he could be your best player, even your most dangerous offensive player.  But it became more fleeting in the last two seasons.  Still...even an average year for Nino was as good as Rask's best ones.  Considering they're roughly the same age...this was all about the $$$ and to a lesser extent it was a shot across the bow of a super comfortable locker room.  

Yet a player in recent years who's name often came up in trade rumors. That's got to be nagging. But on the same token unless you're a toughish old bastard with a chip on your (his) shoulder... Now days players like him don't gain a burning desire to play their tail off hoping to get noticed by someone and move on to something better. Confidence blown, frustration set in, probably fragile emotionally... Might as well hand him a coloring book without any crayons and tell him to just deal with it. Which for all practical purposes is how this club treats most of its young talents / assets.

This club is a joke.  Let me count the ways:

1). Overplay Suter for his ego; and his play suffers laziness

2). Continue to act like Koivu is a Star - for years in spite of evidence. 

3) try to act like Ennis and Pominville are decent players 

4). Screw your young players and allow the Country Club to ruin their development. 

5). Poorly manage all assets in trades:  be they draft picks, developing players, protecting in expansion, handing out NMC/NTC to the wrong players and too much $ on the downside of careers

6). Hand out permanent C and As to players based upon Gid knows what, and in spite of performance (and playoffs)

Need I go on?  I have held season tickets for years, and though I let my kids go now, I am done after this year. 

My guess is...these are the first couple of moves to set up both cap space and depth when bigger pieces are moved in the coming days, weeks and months.   That said, even short term, it isn't as awful as some make it.    Essentially at the NHL level, it's Rask and Aberg for NIno.   

In a capped environment, managing assets is CRITICAL.  Thus, who will be moved or sat (at C) for one of these ‘new assets’ like Rask?  My prediction; Coyle moves back to Wing - which is stupid, and/or EEK is moved down (or over) and his performance is stunted even further.  We just caused a negative ‘ripple effect’ on the team, not to mention that we have 3.5 years of $4MM to swallow (and the ripple effect therein on other players and contracts). Not worth the $1.25MM in savings and loss of a more proudtive player and useful part.  There really is NO UPSIDE.  I would have taken younger players - not the Canes cancer.  You don’t fix one stupid decision (Koivu contract) with another, when managing finite assets.  Jury is out on Fenton.  He sat on his ass in summer, and is now making dumber trades than CF...,I hope to be proven wrong next offseason, but I don’t see it happening  

BTW: If the goal is to turn around and move Rask, you are going to have to enhance the trade imbalance on Wild side to get someone to eat 3 more years of a $4MM contract.  Sounds like Poms and/or Ennis.  You hope Seattle will take him, but they won’t without an enhancement. 

11 hours ago, EmptyShelf said:

Regardless of your ‘opinion,’ it is terrible value in a trade.  Trade a player that HAS performed in the past and was injured most of last year, for a player that has tailed off for two or more years and will become a bigger problem for the Wild down the road. All for $1.25MM in savings, which should have been saved on the disastrous Koivu contract where we were bidding against ourselves.  Rask also has 3 more years on contract.  This is TERRIBLE management of assets.  If you are going to make this trade, you don’t make it when your asset is at lowest value.   

Regardless of your opinion, Nino had zero points, -1 rating in his debut and Rask had an assist, +1 rating.

I just checked the standing in the west.

Good point is, even with a record barely over ,500, you can pretend to be in the postseason. The Wild still holds the 2nd WC spot.

Bottom line is, there are now 8 teams within 6 points for 3 playoffs spots. Even Arizona can arguably fight for one of them, and I would say, even the dead-last Chicago (10 pts behind). The race is so close this year...

14 hours ago, 4Check said:

My guess is...these are the first couple of moves to set up both cap space and depth when bigger pieces are moved in the coming days, weeks and months.   That said, even short term, it isn't as awful as some make it.    Essentially at the NHL level, it's Rask and Aberg for NIno.   

I agree with this 100%.  This is just the tip of the iceberg.  Overall, the team is a bit faster now and that does help the team in the here and now a bit.  

1 hour ago, IllaZilla said:

Kind of funny...people were screaming for Fenton to make a move, and then when he does, they start screaming "Not that move!" 😂

Well its sort of like the reported move Fenton supposedly had for Domi for Zucker and Nino if I remember it correctly.  People when they heard that they were thankful that move didn't actually take place.  

6 minutes ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

I agree with this 100%.  This is just the tip of the iceberg.  Overall, the team is a bit faster now and that does help the team in the here and now a bit.  

Yeah, Nino MIGHT be a bit faster than Rask (now there's a race you could use a calendar with), but Aberg is WAY faster than either one of them.  IMO, Rask is the short term top 6 C in the event Staal and/or Koivu  are moved.  

21 hours ago, EmptyShelf said:

This is TERRIBLE management of assets.  If you are going to make this trade, you don’t make it when your asset is at lowest value.   

If there were any signs to show that Nino was on an improvement swing, (60% of the season of the same thing) I'd fully agree. We'd at least could hold on to him and if it didn't pay off leave him unprotected for Seattle. But Currently he just took up space.

Something had to be done and it had to start somewhere. If we waited for all these valued players to increase ...Well, We'd all be bitching that Fenton did nothing.

I hope Nino does "Stick it in our face". Proof that there was still value in him. But why should he have that attitude? He brought it on himself.

At least this trade may replace the extremely old and beaten to death yet still rears it's head... The Brent Burns Trade... *cue ominous music.;)

17 hours ago, Hockey-78 said:

Regardless of your opinion, Nino had zero points, -1 rating in his debut and Rask had an assist, +1 rating.

A one game sample size is the definition of cherry picking.  How about their last 3 games prior to the trade?  Didn’t think so...,Canes wanted to cut Rask, but our Mgmt has a much better track record of making the right decisions.....NOT

7 hours ago, ClusterChuck said:

If there were any signs to show that Nino was on an improvement swing, (60% of the season of the same thing) I'd fully agree. We'd at least could hold on to him and if it didn't pay off leave him unprotected for Seattle. But Currently he just took up space.

Something had to be done and it had to start somewhere. If we waited for all these valued players to increase ...Well, We'd all be bitching that Fenton did nothing.

I hope Nino does "Stick it in our face". Proof that there was still value in him. But why should he have that attitude? He brought it on himself.

At least this trade may replace the extremely old and beaten to death yet still rears it's head... The Brent Burns Trade... *cue ominous music.;)

You don’t trade an asset 1/2 way through a year post multiple injuries when he is moved around game-to-game.  He was still one of the most productive players by TOI.  Have you ever seen the Clyde, Suter, or Parise playing musical lines after 1-5 games of $hitty performance?  Didn’t think so.  How about Zucker and Granlund in the past - they were jerked around somewhat like Nino.  We will go edge toward the basement of the standings and Suter and the Clyde’s TOI will NOT be touched.

9 hours ago, 4Check said:

Yeah, Nino MIGHT be a bit faster than Rask (now there's a race you could use a calendar with), but Aberg is WAY faster than either one of them.  IMO, Rask is the short term top 6 C in the event Staal and/or Koivu  are moved.  

NN ain’t Zucker, but faster, tougher, and more skilled than Rask.  Åberg will be a real bonus in the playoffs against Winnipeg this year....on his ass like the rest of our soft/small players.  Didn’t everyone say that we need to get bigger/tougher?  These two trades further the issue...in the negative. 

1 minute ago, EmptyShelf said:

NN ain’t Zucker, but faster, tougher, and more skilled than Rask.  Åberg will be a real bonus in the playoffs against Winnipeg this year....on his ass like the rest of our soft/small players.  Didn’t everyone say that we need to get bigger/tougher?  These two trades further the issue...in the negative. 

Of course, you're assuming that Rask and Aberg are long term relevant.  I will judge Fenton by the 20-21 season. Because IMO, there is no short term answers for this aging roster

2 minutes ago, 4Check said:

Of course, you're assuming that Rask and Aberg are long term relevant.  I will judge Fenton by the 20-21 season. Because IMO, there is no short term answers for this aging roster

I am not assuming they are long/term relevant, I am saying that they hold zero value as assets (maybe placeholders). Why lose assets for non-assets?  It’s not like we have many with the asinine contracts NMCs and drafts. 

Archived