Flyers call up Phil Myers...what's next...

hf101

After the trade with Montreal that sent Weise and Folin to the Canadiens, Fletcher made a couple of more moves including the decision to put Corbin Knight on waivers and called up the Phantoms best defenseman Phil Meyers.  According to Fletcher Meyers isn't coming up to sit as the 7th d-man he's coming to play with the intent of making the Flyers roster out of training camp next year.

There's some discussion in a couple of other topics which I thought could be discussed into one topic.  The first is without injury to any of the other players who sits so Meyers gets some ice time?  Fletcher had this to say...

That’s how you have to learn. Again, he’s earned the right. He’s better than anybody we have down there. He’s a good hockey player. I believe he can help us up here. We have six guys playing right now tonight that have helped us a lot too. I think our defense is playing very well, for a while now. I’ve been very impressed with young guys how they’ve responded. Provorov has been playing very well of late. Gudas has been tremendous all season. Andrew MacDonald has played very well for I think really since I’ve been here, but certainly the last month. We can go through all of them- Travis Sanheim has grown leaps and bounds. It’s a good group, and they’re playing well, but we need bodies. We have 3 games in 4 days starting tonight. There’s a lot of hockey down the stretch. So, to have some fresh young legs up here will be great. I think again, we will see how the coaches integrate them into the lineup. Phil Myers can help this team win right now, too.

There is no mention of Ghostisbehere, thus it looks like Ghost might be the odd man out for a bit.  If Ghost sits do they go back to the 5 forward PP or might Meyers get some time on the #1 PP?   Could there be a deal in the works to trade another d-man?  Ghost?  Or is this move just a means of getting Meyers some earned NHL time?    Which gives his first game toy be vs the Penguins - what are your defensive lines?

Another question mentioned by @ruxpin in another topic is what's the plan for Meyers is it just to get some NHL experience while they have an opening or can Meyers earn a spot on the roster now?   And what happens when Morin is ready?

Fletcher also mentions Morin in his interview with Bill Meltzer;   Morin will get a conditioning stunt... but then ??

Interesting times in Flyerland.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, hf101 said:

After the trade with Montreal that sent Weise and Folin to the Canadiens, Fletcher made a couple of more moves including the decision to put Corbin Knight on waivers and called up the Phantoms best defenseman Phil Meyers.  According to Fletcher Meyers isn't coming up to sit as the 7th d-man he's coming to play with the intent of making the Flyers roster out of training camp next year.

There's some discussion in a couple of other topics which I thought could be discussed into one topic.  The first is without injury to any of the other players who sits so Meyers gets some ice time.  Fletcher had this to say...

That’s how you have to learn. Again, he’s earned the right. He’s better than anybody we have down there. He’s a good hockey player. I believe he can help us up here. We have six guys playing right now tonight that have helped us a lot too. I think our defense is playing very well, for a while now. I’ve been very impressed with young guys how they’ve responded. Provorov has been playing very well of late. Gudas has been tremendous all season. Andrew MacDonald has played very well for I think really since I’ve been here, but certainly the last month. We can go through all of them- Travis Sanheim has grown leaps and bounds. It’s a good group, and they’re playing well, but we need bodies. We have 3 games in 4 days starting tonight. There’s a lot of hockey down the stretch. So, to have some fresh young legs up here will be great. I think again, we will see how the coaches integrate them into the lineup. Phil Myers can help this team win right now, too.

There is no mention of Ghostisbehere thus it looks like Ghost might be the odd man out for a bit.  If Ghost sits do they go back to the 5 forward PP or might Meyers get some time on the #1 PP?   Could there be a deal in the works to trade another d-man?  Ghost?  Or is this move just a means of getting Meyers some earned NHL time?    Which gives his first game toy be vs the Penguins - what are your defensive lines?

Another question mentioned by @ruxpin in another topic is what's the plan for Meyers is it just to get some NHL experience while they have an opening or can Meyers earn a spot on the roster now?   And what happens when Morin is ready?

Fletcher also mentions Morin in his interview with Bill Meltzer;   Morin will get a conditioning stunt... but then ??

That would be terrible to sit Ghost in favor of Mcdud. I would like to see how a bottom pair of Ghost and Myers would perform.

I mean because let's be honest Mcdud is not a good vet.

Sure he is a vet I give you that but that is it.

However I think Gordon is favoring his old player from the Isle in Mcdud so yeah if that is the case might as well just trade Ghost before he loses all value.

42 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

That would be terrible to sit Ghost in favor of Mcdud. I would like to see how a bottom pair of Ghost and Myers would perform.

However I think Gordon is favoring his old player from the Isle in Mcdud so yeah if that is the case might as well just trade Ghost before he loses all value.

Whatever happens, Ghost/McDud is a horrible pairing even as a third.   They were dreadful as a pair yesterday and that was an improvement over Thursday.   

I don't think that pair's struggles are Ghost's fault, but I also think he's probably the worst of the choices to pair with MacDonald.  But defensively, he also seems like the worst choice to pair with the other four.   

I'm actually wondering whether Ghost is being moved.  MacDonald simply can't be moved.  No one else wants him and our own management seems to see something -- real or imagined -- that the rest of us don't.   

I honestly don't know what you move Ghost for.  I mean, we talk about this or that sniper, but with the exception of RW, there is legitimate help on the way.   So, I don't know.

But we're soon to have 8 defensemen with Myers being someone that should be playing.  It's not a reward to call him up to sit in the press box when he could be playing in Lehigh.  And when you add Morin in, it only makes that situation worse.    So, something likely has to give.

50 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I would prefer Myers (ps everybody it's Myers) to play with someone more defensively responsible than Ghost. We don't want his rookie mistakes to hurt us every single time. I just don't think that's a good pairing to start his career.

54 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

I would prefer Myers (ps everybody it's Myers) to play with someone more defensively responsible than Ghost. We don't want his rookie mistakes to hurt us every single time. I just don't think that's a good pairing to start his career.

Well the only other option is Hagg in that regard because Gudas is but he is also a right hand shot.

And you will never seen Mcduds and defensively responsible in the same sentence so he is out.

So it will have to be....

Ivan/Sanheim

Ghost/Gudas

Hagg/Myers

With Mcdud on the popcorn machine where he belongs.

51 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

How so with Myers in and Mcdud out that makes 7 D men.

You're assuming MacDonald is out. I have no reason to assume that (and your quoting the conclusion of my post explaining why).  You have the six you have now, plus Myers. I went to public school, but we were taught that's 7. Morin soon to be 8.

The whole point, though, was that at 7 (and especially 8 ) it's foolish to bring Myers up to have him sit. He's better off playing in the AHL than sitting in the NHL. So, something has to give. It's only worse when Morin returns. 

33 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

You're assuming MacDonald is out. I have no reason to assume that (and your quoting the conclusion of my post explaining why).  You have the six you have now, plus Myers. I went to public school, but we were taught that's 7. Morin soon to be 8.

The whole point, though, was that at 7 (and especially 8 ) it's foolish to bring Myers up to have him sit. He's better off playing in the AHL than sitting in the NHL. So, something has to give. It's only worse when Morin returns. 

Yeah but Morin is still on IR. And will be sent to LV for a conditioning stint.

So he doesn't count yet.

And Mcdud is just out the lineup hopefully is all.

Ivan

Sanheim

Ghost

Gudas

Hagg

Myers

Mcdud

That is 7. Not going to count Morin because he won't even be back till after the trade deadline.

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

Yeah but Morin is still on IR. And will be sent to LV for a conditioning stint.

So he doesn't count yet.

Rick,

2 hours ago, ruxpin said:

But we're soon to have 8 defensemen with Myers being someone that should be playing.

Pretty much said the same.  What are we debating again?  I missed it.

37 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

So, something has to give

Yeah it does and will.

McKenna will be waived so they can activate Elliott.

They will still have 3 goalies Hart, Stolie and Elliott.

And then eventually I think it will be Morin at or after the deadline can be activated and Myers sent down to make room for him.

Or if we are luckier Mcdud waived to make room...we won't be that lucky.

Just now, OccamsRazor said:

Or if we are luckier Mcdud waived to make room...we won't be that luck

Yeah, I don't think we will be.  Management seems to see something we clearly don't.  Maybe he buys dinner for everyone.  I don't know.

If Myers is going back down, that answers that.   So long as he's not being brought off the ice in Lehigh to sit in a press box in the NHL, that's fine.   But I don't think it's MacDonald that is going to sit.  Everyone in Flyer management seems enamored of him and I don't get it.   It'll be either Ghost or Gudas.  MacDonald will probably take a turn.   

I hope you and I are both wrong and MacDonald is moved.  I rarely get to got to an actual game.  I went yesterday.  I thought he looked bad on TV, but that pair looked simply horrendous in person.

2 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

phlfly Myers will be returned

Yeah, I think possibly.   But I wasn't really initially talking about when Morin comes back.  I was really trying to discuss while there are seven.  Really just saying he'd better not be coming up just to sit because that's foolish.  

And also that I don't think it will be MacDonald that sits.  I think he'll probably take some turns, but I don't think he'll be planted there.  

I wouldn't be shocked to see Ghost move, but I can't for the life of me think of for what.

Just now, ruxpin said:

Yeah, I don't think we will be.  Management seems to see something we clearly don't.  Maybe he buys dinner for everyone.  I don't know.

If Myers is going back down, that answers that.   So long as he's not being brought off the ice in Lehigh to sit in a press box in the NHL, that's fine.   But I don't think it's MacDonald that is going to sit.  Everyone in Flyer management seems enamored of him and I don't get it.   It'll be either Ghost or Gudas.  MacDonald will probably take a turn.   

I hope you and I are both wrong and MacDonald is moved.  I rarely get to got to an actual game.  I went yesterday.  I thought he looked bad on TV, but that pair looked simply horrendous in person.

I hope it's not Ghost it will piss me off.

Myers is coming up so they have 7 D men they have a road trip to Minny the next night after the Penguin game.

They like to travel with at least 13 forwards and 7 D men.

And then Hart and Stolie I doubt the travel with Mckenna.

1 minute ago, ruxpin said:

Really just saying he'd better not be coming up just to sit because that's foolish.  

Fletcher said he brought him up to play someone sits and as many have said it might be Ghost but that would be a mistake.

He brings more to the team that Mcdud for real but Gordon makes the lineup so we'll see.

I hope he is smart enough to dress the right lineup.

Wonder what current Flyers Dman paired with Myers in the A? Sanheim? Maybe Provy gets some breaks, his icetime is up several shifts above career average and Fletch spoke of the need for fresh legs in the Spring. 

29 minutes ago, 926 said:

Wonder what current Flyers Dman paired with Myers in the A? Sanheim? Maybe Provy gets some breaks, his icetime is up several shifts above career average and Fletch spoke of the need for fresh legs in the Spring. 

Yeah, Sanheim was with Myers in Lehigh. They did well.  I think maybe they eventually go back to that, but Sanheim and Provorov has been very good.  That's actually as much about Samheim as about Provorov. 

I'm not in a hurry to split that up. But Provorov/Ghost, Samheim/Myers is probably better than Provorov/Sanheim, Myers/Ghost (or McDud). 

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

Really just saying he'd better not be coming up just to sit because that's foolish.  

Well it sucks we won't get to see them against the Penguins...

Neither Myers nor Bailey will play tomorrow, per Gordon. Wants them to get in a few practices, absorb some systems details without throwing too much on them at once.

So would Fletcher be so bold to make a move after the Minny game with Simmonds my gut tells me something could be up...they will be off till the Redwings game saturday.

He brought Justin Bailey up who could plug into the 3rd line RW spot in a pinch if need be...

...I don't know guess we'll could be just heartburn.

And Bailey is just the 13th forward for the road trip.

Myers and Bailey are probably just extras for the Minnesota game.  Maybe they are giving them a taste of the pros as a reward for strong play.  Really can't see either of them getting time if the current roster continues to play well.  Even if a trade isn't imminent, moving them to the big club and allowing them to get some practice time could make the transition for them easier if/when they are called up when a roster move or two are made.  Phantoms don't play until Friday, a home game, so they could be practicing here all week.  

All that said, maybe something is brewing on the trade front that could press these guys into the lineup sooner rather than later.  In years past, teams have made deals in advance of the deadline.  Wonder if that trend continues.

On 2/10/2019 at 9:47 AM, hf101 said:

There's some discussion in a couple of other topics which I thought could be discussed into one topic.  The first is without injury to any of the other players who sits so Meyers gets some ice time?  Fletcher had this to say...

There is no mention of Ghostisbehere, thus it looks like Ghost might be the odd man out for a bit.  If Ghost sits do they go back to the 5 forward PP or might Meyers get some time on the #1 PP?   Could there be a deal in the works to trade another d-man?  Ghost?  Or is this move just a means of getting Meyers some earned NHL time?    Which gives his first game toy be vs the Penguins - what are your defensive lines?

Apparently it's Bailey... which many are suggesting is a precursor to Simmonds being traded.

Hopefully this is not due to Bailey's complexion, but more to do with being a physical winger with size (more than Simmonds) who can maybe score in the paint.  

The Flyers have two games against the Penguins before the deadline.  They are five points behind the Penguins for the final wildcard spot with Carolina and Buffalo also threatening.

Long story short is I believe Fletcher is giving the team until the deadline to pull off the miraculous.  If they don't, he trades Simmonds and a familiar D-Man (could be Mac, Gudas or even Ghost).  

He may make these trades even if they do pull off the miracle depending on how good the offers are.

Myers and Bailey are apparently up, not necessarily to "play" right away, but more to learn the system and the ways of the big club (assumption being they will be a part of it soon).  That to me says they are here to learn how to do specific jobs that they will likely inherit soon.  

Indeed, Ghost has not played well lately, and I'm still furious with Hakstol about that.  I do blame Hakstol for his regression and for not working a system around Ghost's innumerable talents on his skates and handling the puck.  

I said a few years ago when this process began that if they were not going to let Ghost be Ghost, then they'd better trade him while his value was up and let him do well elsewhere.

As it is, Ghost has spent two years trying to be a much crappier player and fight against his instincts.  Now here we all are wondering wtf happened.  

On the one hand, if he sells out the miracle come back this season for the future (picks and prospects he'd get at the deadline) how is that any different than what Hextall would have done and how do Scott and Homer reconcile this approach with the supposed philosophical reasons the fired Hextall?

On the other hand, he can't do nothing because i the wheels fall off and they don't make the playoffs it will have been at least one, probably two or three utterly wasted opportunities.

4 minutes ago, vis said:

Myers and Bailey are probably just extras for the Minnesota game.  Maybe they are giving them a taste of the pros as a reward for strong play.  Really can't see either of them getting time if the current roster continues to play well.  Even if a trade isn't imminent, moving them to the big club and allowing them to get some practice time could make the transition for them easier if/when they are called up when a roster move or two are made.  Phantoms don't play until Friday, a home game, so they could be practicing here all week.  

All that said, maybe something is brewing on the trade front that could press these guys into the lineup sooner rather than later.  In years past, teams have made deals in advance of the deadline.  Wonder if that trend continues.

I have no insider information, but I'm willing to bet something is definitely brewing on the trade front.  Definitely for Simmonds and probably for another D man, most likely Ghost, Mac or Gudas.   Lord I hope it's Mac, but it's most likely Ghost simply because of Fletcher's "only G is safe" comments and because Ghost would likely fetch the most. 

It's feasible that he's got a deal or Morin or Hagg on the table, but either of those would likely fetch far less in return. 

I like Ghost. I do. But i can understand if he’s on the block. This will seem even more likely to me if Myers shows promise at the NHL level. 

Ghost does one thing well (offence). He is not good defensively and never has been. Is he better offensively than Sanheim? Maybe right now, but honestly not by much, and Sanheim is already better than him on the defense. 

So what does Fletch do? If Myers becomes a second Sanheim, we now have three players who can play offensively and a Seattle draft coming up. Why not trade one of them rather than lose him for nothing? Ghost would net a better return than Sanheim (right now), and he is a defensive liability. That makes sense to me. 

Again, i’m not saying just do it and get whatever is on offer back. I’m just saying I can see how dangling Ghost in a trade can make sense given our situation. 

What do you get in a trade for Ghost? That I don’t know. We’d need to hash it out. :D

Archived