Off Season Priorities

elmatus

11 hours ago, brelic said:

1. Artemi Panarin
2. Erik Karlsson
3. Kevin Hayes

That would about do it for me. Hayes is underrated imo and could be a solid 3C option who can play 2C if needed. He also has played RW a solid amount, and that's something we currently need anyway. I also imagine he'd be fine with a reasonable amount and term, which is good. I like the flexibility and skill he brings.

Karlsson is Karlsson. I think you have to at least inquire what it would cost to get him. Over the past decade, he's been routinely pegged as the best dman on the planet. You don't just pass that up without at least a sniff. That said, I have a sneaky suspicion he's going to decline noticeably in the near future. I'm not sure I would want to offer him what he's going to get for a payout, especially considering our young defensive talent. Of the three, he would be my least interesting add, mostly because of the money and term he'll want.

Panarin is the one I'd go for hard. He's just straight up an upgrade over any player we have not named Giroux, and he's showing no signs of slowing down. We can talk about Lindblom and JVR all we want, but Panarin has far more impact on a game than either of them. He'd be the hardest to sign of course, but I'd be willing to give him a pretty solid contract if he wants to play in PHI. Not to mention signing Panarin would make JVR immediately expendable, which would in turn help pay for the contract in the first place.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bob McKenzie paying Ron Hextall some compliments....

"....he left the Flyer cupboards well stocked with prospects..."

So basically, he left Fletcher with some good promising players, plus between Hextall and Fletcher, they have stockpiled picks as well.
Fletcher has the option of using those as 'currency' or develop the prospects and use the picks.

Fletcher was left in a good place with the team......all he needs to do now is not screw it up.

I am posting this because I STILL feel Hextall did right by the Flyers organization....even if some others do not.
He was left with a monumental mess to clean, he did for the most part, and his 'patience plan' may pay off for Philadelphia (again, assuming Fletcher doesn't submarine it) in the long run.

8 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Fletcher was left in a good place with the team......all he needs to do now is not screw it up.

(again, assuming Fletcher doesn't submarine it) in the long run.

Sad how often comments like this come up when the discussion is about our gm. 

Homer: "Well, he sure left the Wild in a shambles....but let's see if he does that here".

I'm really not worried about Fletcher in Philadelphia. He's got an incredibly strong scouting staff surrounding him and he's going to rely on them heavily. The one guy who has some question marks is the Nature Boy Brent Flahr, but I don't think he's dumb enough to challenge the scouts here, especially when you consider the work they've done rebuilding the pipeline. If anything, I expect that the scouts are going to have even stronger voices within the hockey operations.  

10 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I'm really not worried about Fletcher in Philadelphia. He's got an incredibly strong scouting staff surrounding him and he's going to rely on them heavily. The one guy who has some question marks is the Nature Boy Brent Flahr, but I don't think he's dumb enough to challenge the scouts here, especially when you consider the work they've done rebuilding the pipeline. If anything, I expect that the scouts are going to have even stronger voices within the hockey operations.  

I'm not worried about Fltecher and the draft for reasons you mentioned.

However I am not naive and have to admit like some here have, is I'm just a tad bit nervous on what prospects he would move for a player who could help now from a GM needing to move someone.

I know you have to move some assets to get something good in return but depending on what that is and comes back depends a lot.

Like I wasn't mad when they traded JVR away to Toronto...I wasn't happy about the return.

5 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I'm not worried about Fltecher and the draft for reasons you mentioned.

However I am not naive and have to admit like some here have, is I'm just a tad bit nervous on what prospects he would move for a player who could help now from a GM needing to move someone.

I know you have to move some assets to get something good in return but depending on what that is and comes back depends a lot.

Like I wasn't mad when they traded JVR away to Toronto...I wasn't happy about the return.

I'm feeling certain that guys like Frost, Ratcliffe, Farabee, Allison and Zamula will be off limits. In terms of young rostered players, I can't see guys like Konecny, Lindblom, Patrick, Provorov, Myers, Sanheim and Hart being moved. I don't like the idea of moving big Sam (simply because he brings something to the team that none of the other defensive prospects bring), but at the same time, depending on if the Flyers make a move to acquire a Trouba-type of defenseman, I'd certainly get it.

I do expect Gostisbehere to be put up for auction though and I expect that the Flyers first will be in play. 

I'm also not sold that they're going to go hardcore in free agency and chew up all the money that Hextall saved. If anything, I think Fletcher goes a little conservative and he'll try to target the teams that are close or up against the cap and get a good piece or two to take on a contract. 

7 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I do expect Gostisbehere to be put up for auction though and I expect that the Flyers first will be in play. 

I am not ready to move Ghost yet.

However I would offer Arizona Hagg for Hjalmarsson and go from there.

He would be a good vet to lean on for the kids.

And a good contract for the next two years.

1 hour ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I think so much of next season will have to do with Seattle as well. At this point, I have really no idea how that will shake out. 

Giroux, Voracek, Couts, TK, Patrick, JVR, Lindblom (would Frost need to be protected at this point, or will he be ineligible owing to ELC status?)

Those seem like pretty easy picks to protect, and it wouldn't leave anything major unprotected. I imagine someone like Laughton would probably be the pick minus those guys, and he's not that interesting really.

We're likely to be far worse off on the defence. From where I'm sitting, I would say Provo and probably Sanheim are the first two to protect. With the way Myers is coming on, he may very well force his way into the third slot to be protected. That of course would leave Ghost as the obvious Seattle pick. 

So what do you do if you're Fletch and can't keep all four of those guys? Well, you trade one away out of necessity. You get something for him at least. This is where I can see Ghost being traded. He would have the most value of the lot and could fetch a pretty decent return. His offensive skill set would be missed of course, but Sanheim and Myers seem poised to pick up the slack and then some.

So yeah, I have a feeling we'll see Ghost traded. If Frost is exempt from the draft, then I imagine Fletch will look around for a top nine forward as a return. If Frost does need to be protected, then he'll probably look for prospects and picks of some kind.

I really don't like this expac crap. There are more than enough teams as it is. Quit with the money racket already.

1 hour ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I expect that the Flyers first will be in play. 

Yeah, I think so. 

But do you suppose that changes if our ping pong ball comes up for one of the first three picks?  Or does that just change what gets packaged with it? 

I'd really like one of the two top right wingers. I'd be good with Hughes, too (I know, we talked about that). 

Just wondering if that changes things and how much. 

28 minutes ago, elmatus said:

I think so much of next season will have to do with Seattle as well. At this point, I have really no idea how that will shake out. 

Giroux, Voracek, Couts, TK, Patrick, JVR, Lindblom (would Frost need to be protected at this point, or will he be ineligible owing to ELC status?)

Those seem like pretty easy picks to protect, and it wouldn't leave anything major unprotected. I imagine someone like Laughton would probably be the pick minus those guys, and he's not that interesting really.

We're likely to be far worse off on the defence. From where I'm sitting, I would say Provo and probably Sanheim are the first two to protect. With the way Myers is coming on, he may very well force his way into the third slot to be protected. That of course would leave Ghost as the obvious Seattle pick. 

So what do you do if you're Fletch and can't keep all four of those guys? Well, you trade one away out of necessity. You get something for him at least. This is where I can see Ghost being traded. He would have the most value of the lot and could fetch a pretty decent return. His offensive skill set would be missed of course, but Sanheim and Myers seem poised to pick up the slack and then some.

So yeah, I have a feeling we'll see Ghost traded. If Frost is exempt from the draft, then I imagine Fletch will look around for a top nine forward as a return. If Frost does need to be protected, then he'll probably look for prospects and picks of some kind.

I really don't like this expac crap. There are more than enough teams as it is. Quit with the money racket already.

I believe Frost is protected.

I think if you trade Ghost with the draft in mind, you trade him for near-ready prospects that are draft protected.  Because if you go for top 9 forward you've added to what you need to protect. 

But that's possible. It leads me into what I was already going to ask. 

Pretend for a moment that we sign Panarin. I think he has his heart set in Florida, so just pretend.  Or insert whatever top 6 winger we get from trading Ghost.   Whom of your protect list do you leave off?  I think my vote is JVR, but for all the criticism he's actually posting decent numbers. 

Or do you leave Voracek off hoping either you've gotten out of his contract OR they've taken Gudas or Hagg BECAUSE of the contract? 

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

I am not ready to move Ghost yet.

However I would offer Arizona Hagg for Hjalmarsson and go from there.

He would be a good vet to lean on for the kids.

And a good contract for the next two years.

I don't think fans are ready to move on from Ghost, but I think management and coaching are. I think the good year/bad year routine is starting to get old with everyone. When you see his ice time being cut drastically, it's almost as if the writing is on the wall.

Now, I do like the idea of Hagg for Hjalmarsson though. I think you could put big Nick on the second pairing and really let Myers fly.

24 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Yeah, I think so. 

But do you suppose that changes if our ping pong ball comes up for one of the first three picks?  Or does that just change what gets packaged with it? 

I'd really like one of the two top right wingers. I'd be good with Hughes, too (I know, we talked about that). 

Just wondering if that changes things and how much. 

If they land one of the top three picks, it's going nowhere. Of course, everything they do has to be centered around the upcoming expansion draft because they're going to lose someone. I think it's safe at this time to say that Provorov, Sanheim and Myers will be the protected players. I think that and the young prospects are the only sure things right now that Fletcher won't mess around with.

6 hours ago, ruxpin said:

I think it's at least even money the Flyers trade away the first pick. 

But pretend we keep the pick and don't win the lottery. We currently pick 14th.  So, do we want Turcotte, Suzuki, or Newhook?  Or someone behind door #4? 

@flyercanuck @jammer2

I've seen lots of Suzuki and love his skill. His skating is effortless. He's got great hands but could shoot more.The Colts traded off a few assets this season and he's been left to carry the load. Some games he looks a little overwhelmed...and rightfully so. But he's been good. I'm a bit biased here but would love to get him where we draft.

I wouldn't have a problem with either of the other guys you mentioned though. But if we stay where we are in the draft they're likely both gone. Of course a few losses or wins in a row by any team can change where we pick by the end of the season. Kaliyev (who BCfan brought up recently) is another guy to consider in the area we pick.

With the slew of prospects they have i can see them moving the pick along with a B prospect for someone is closer to helping out.

2019 1st rounder, Laczynski, Friedman for ___________________ fill in the blank.

Maybe that elusive RW or center they need...just spitballing... 

15 hours ago, ruxpin said:

I believe Frost is protected.

I think if you trade Ghost with the draft in mind, you trade him for near-ready prospects that are draft protected.  Because if you go for top 9 forward you've added to what you need to protect. 

But that's possible. It leads me into what I was already going to ask. 

Pretend for a moment that we sign Panarin. I think he has his heart set in Florida, so just pretend.  Or insert whatever top 6 winger we get from trading Ghost.   Whom of your protect list do you leave off?  I think my vote is JVR, but for all the criticism he's actually posting decent numbers. 

Or do you leave Voracek off hoping either you've gotten out of his contract OR they've taken Gudas or Hagg BECAUSE of the contract? 

If we get Panarin, JVR should be on the first ticket out anyway. There's just no sense keeping him around, and his trade value will be higher than Lindblom.

And you're right about Ghost for sure. I think he should be traded for a promising top 9 forward prospect and a pick, someone who is still in their ELC and doesn't need to be protected. I think that should be very doable for Ghost. As far as JVR goes, I think he should be protected right now, though I'm not a big fan of his limited skill set.

Archived