Minnesota Wild vs. Nashville Predators 3/5/19 @ 7:00PM CST at Bridgestone Arena

CreaseAndAssist

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wild Persistent in 5-4 Shootout Loss to Nashville

Fiala certainly gave us some of the game breaker flashes of brilliance Fenton talked about.  But Aberg is still lazy as crap, despite getting a goal tonight.  Didn't get a lot from Staal IMO.  Not happy with our personnel choices, especially after we got the power play.  I don't get 3 guys on the outside...one person too scared to actually screen a goalie.  

Boudreau "I guarantee we will make the Playoffs"...

And you send out 20 and 12, The 2 slowest players together for the OT.🤬

Then we get the Suter Pass-A-Thon during that PP...WHY?!!?

We have Newer, Faster, Younger players to choose from.

Then after Dubnyk actually stopping the first 3 SO attempts, We get a chance to win it with Parise and he comes up with...Whatever that was...I believe the last few have gone exactly that way from him.

Any players in a shootout that slows down like that should get Bull-Rushed by the goalie.

He's carrying the puck so it would be a legal check. 

Beats backing in to literally the goal line.

Why back up? If you challenge them (When they do this slow-mo), Then they have to change course and probably lose the forward momentum.. 

So frustrating after the regular 60 minutes.

2 hours ago, Icechipper said:

He and Brian Rolston would at times unleash heat seeker slapshots from the high circle....

I recall that Petteri Nummelin had one of the best SO percentage in Wild history.

I agree we need to prepare / to improve our players skills in a SO task. That always was a problem for us. If I remember our former player Chris Stewart also was pretty good in shootouts too(stats show between 75-100% in 2 seasons). And I think our prospect Sokolov having a good potential also in SO. Any way the team was pretty competitive in both games against Nashville. Fiala's goals were on a superb professional  level. Wished Dubnyk should be better during last game. Last goal in regulation evidently was on him because he was not able to hold better the puck, which went between his arm and body. But in general, the team should not be dependable on one or 2 players in a shootouts. They all should produce well during that time (at least up to 65%). Just checked stats in a last 2- 3 seasons for all our players  and, unfortunately, found that results are still poor and they all need an intense training for that task. Actually, Donato had 2 attempts in two seasons for Boston and was successful in both (100 %) there. Fiala had 12 attempts in 2 seasons for Nashville and was successful only 2 times. In my opinion, our players should try to perform in practice the same trick as Ryan Johansen does for Nashville ( for this year 100% for doing same thing in 3 games already). I like it (despite our goalies were not happy), because it is an art and takes a lot of practice of doing that. Or look for tricks of some other successful players in SO in NHL, because still it is an important part of our hockey.

Here is a nice link from hockey-reference.com about Nashville stats for this season where you can find their shootouts results . You also could look for our team as well as for other teams too.

https://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/NSH/2019.html

It looked like Boudreau went with the 'Hot Hand' theory with Donato and Fiala but I'd go with the best stick handlers and a nice shot instead. Especially when one's stats are 2 for 12.

I'm not at all in favor of encouraging that slow-mo SO style. I know it's effective and currently allowed but it does nothing for me.

It's also exploited in the 3 on 3 on teams that do that. (Nashville) Look how many times they'd eat away at the clock sitting behind their net. It was all about getting to their advantage in the SO.

The whole idea of the 3 on 3 was to quickly end the game. It does work for the most part and can be a very exciting (and has been) way to finish. The NHL could take away the SO, Extend the 3 on 3 to 10 minutes and without that SO as a fall back, I believe the games would end even quicker.

Archived