Blair Betts

Guest DaGreatGazoo

According to capgeek, he is on LTIR. He's not been listed as a scratch, which would seem to back up the idea that he is LTIR'ed, as neither Pronger or Laperriere are scratches, either.

I think the emergence of Talbot on the 3rd line has made Betts an afterthought. I still would not mind seeing him return if he can get healthy.

Not at the expense of our young forwards ice time. I like Betts and his hard work since he's been here but it's time for us to move on.

VOORHEES, N.J. — Blair Betts has a locker again in the Flyers locker room.

That might not mean much, especially since Betts is still close to a month away from any decision being made if he can return from a debilitating knee injury, but it could also mean a lot.

Follow the logic:

Betts, who has been on the long-term injury list since early October after he was returned to the Flyers following a failing of a physical in Montreal when the Canadiens claimed him off waivers, has been skating for about a week on his own (he was actually joined by rehabbing Phantoms defenseman Oskars Bartulis Monday).

Betts still has several hurdles to jump before he would be medically cleared to play hockey again, but he just might be a post-trade deadline option for the Flyers.

“My conditioning has improved, but my knee still feels the same,” Betts said. “I’m slowly trying to get used to being back on the ice. Mentally it’s been the biggest factor to just change the monotony of being upstairs in the weight room every day.”

Betts said he hasn’t spoken to general manager Paul Holmgren recently, but that he intended to soon.

“I plan on playing this year,” Betts said before adding that he wants to play for the Flyers. “They’ve given me as much time as I’ve needed or wanted to see if I can get myself as healthy as possible and that’s all I’ve ever asked for.”

http://www.timesherald.com/article/20120116/SPORTS03/120119668

VOORHEES — Bet on Blair Betts playing hockey again this season ... at your own risk.

Whether it be for the Flyers or some other NHL team, the 31-year-old center with a bad knee made it clear on Monday that he wants back before this campaign comes to an end.

A source in the organization said something should be resolved in the vicinity of the Feb. 27 NHL trade deadline.

Betts was thought to be a goner on Oct. 5 when he was claimed off waivers by Montreal. But four days later, after being examined by Canadiens doctors, Betts was ordered returned to the Flyers by none other than NHL commissioner Gary Bettman because of a failed physical.

Since then, Betts has been sort of the phantom (and, no, not Adirondack) of the Flyers' locker room. He hasn't played a minute of NHL hockey and the word was that his knee would never allow a return.

But Betts never gave up. After being land-bound for months, he's now been back on the ice for a couple weeks and sounds like he wants to get back in the game.

Is Betts an upgrade over what we currently have? PK? Maybe that saves Giroux from having to play the PK but that would mean one of the kids gets bumped like Harry Z.

So basically, if Betts can skate and isn't a liability, does he contribute more than Harry Z?

My conditioning has improved, but my knee still feels the same,” Betts said

So, in over 4 months, his knee doesn't feel any better? I say it's highly unlikely that he plays again this year. In addition, his knee failed a physical in Montreal; all joking aside about the Flyers medical staff, if it hasn't improved, I doubt he passes a physical here either.

Rinaldo, Shelley, Zolnerczyk...

if Shelley was a regular, I'd agree. It seems to me at the moment, if all forwards are healthy it's either Z or Rinaldo in the line up, not both. And anyway, no way I'd sit Zac or Harry Z for Betts. They do what he does and much more. I liked Betts when he was playing, but the young guys that have suited up in his place to me have won over his spot. Aside from his faceoff ability, I'm not sure Betts can bring anything to the team that you can't already get with at the very least Z. But to each their own

Rinaldo, Shelley, Zolnerczyk...

I'm not saying it is ideal, or that the young players aren't just as good (although I would rather have a healthy Betts than Rinaldo personally. Rinaldo throws hits and draws the occasional penalty, but I think this team has enough spark plugs). If anything playing Betts if he is healthy becomes a financial move. Zolniercyck and Rinaldo, if I am not mistaken, can be sent down to the minors without clearing waivers. Betts, on the other hand, if he is cleared to play, his salary counts on the cap even if he is scratched. If they waive him and he is picked up the Flyers are still on the till for half his salary. It might not be much, but that extra $200k or so a year can be the difference between landing a rent-a-defenseman or not landing him.

I'm not saying it is ideal, or that the young players aren't just as good (although I would rather have a healthy Betts than Rinaldo personally. Rinaldo throws hits and draws the occasional penalty, but I think this team has enough spark plugs). If anything playing Betts if he is healthy becomes a financial move. Zolniercyck and Rinaldo, if I am not mistaken, can be sent down to the minors without clearing waivers. Betts, on the other hand, if he is cleared to play, his salary counts on the cap even if he is scratched. If they waive him and he is picked up the Flyers are still on the till for half his salary. It might not be much, but that extra $200k or so a year can be the difference between landing a rent-a-defenseman or not landing him.

Does that mean he has to go through Montreal who claimed him or is that a moot point since he was returned?

right on, I was approaching the discussion purely from a playing stand point. Contract and cap implications are more than valid. Right now I'd put a healthy Betts in the lineup purely for the sake of shopping him. He was a serviceable player when he played but he's too one dimensional for me and if you are a one dimensional player who isn't all that physical, then I'd rather find another player to fill the role. plus, his arm pops out of socket too easily ;)

I'd assign Harry Z to the AHL, and use Betts heavily on PK and D Zone draws. That would help spell Giroux a little and let him focus on maintaining energy and scoring points. Plus, maybe Betts can help mentor Read and Couturier on some PK tips and Couturier on FO.

Experience in the locker room can be a good thing. Think of the message Lavy/Homer can send by using Betts after he fights his way back from injury. Hopefully the rookies can benefit.

Rinaldo stays in the lineup if it were up to me.

http://www.phillyburbs.com/sports/flyers/flyer_flash/jagr-eyes-another-season-with-flyers/article_987c456b-3d8d-5c48-9e7b-27573fd84816.html

Holmgren said he met with Blair Betts after a recent workout in which it was determined his injured knee is still a big problem. "I think it's safe to say ... I talked with him yesterday, he's having a tough time, not just his knee but (stuff) going on in his life,'' Holmgren said. "I would say it's safe to say he's not going to play this season ... I don't think he would be able to pass a physical.''