Merged: Yzerman returns to Detroit as GM! / There is a God and he is Good

SpikeDDS

I woke up this morning and started scrolling through my FB news feed and one of the first things I see is “Welcome Home, Steve Yzerman!”

Press conference this afternoon should make it official that Stevie will take the helm as GM, while Kenny Holland will finish his contract in an advisory role.

It’s about time!

I hope he is able to do what he did in TB. It’ll take some time, but I think this is the best DRW news in several seasons.

Good start to my Good Friday!

Edited by pilldoc
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, SpikeDDS said:

I woke up this morning and started scrolling through my FB news feed and one of the first things I see is “Welcome Home, Steve Yzerman!”

Press conference this afternoon should make it official that Stevie will take the helm as GM, while Kenny Holland will finish his contract in an advisory role.

It’s about time!

I hope he is able to do what he did in TB. It’ll take some time, but I think this is the best DRW news in several seasons.

Well yes its Good Friday.  I am going to try and make the 1030 mass on Easter Sunday.  I am hoping Jesus has moved to St Louis for a month or two and then to Buffalo.  Just kidding Lord

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/nhl/red-wings/2019/04/19/red-wings-announce-news-conference-friday-steve-yzerman/3517801002/?fbclid=IwAR1AErCI75qb3YKjq7Mw605xe5ajkxEveiLdFEmgm2ZLGtra2sLV1y2vjPg

@SpikeDDS

Here ya go. Stevie is coming home, the presser is scheduled for tomorrow, Kenny Holland is being kicked upstairs to Executive VP for the one remaining year on his deal and Yzerman who built the successful Lightning franchise is coming home to fix the wings. When Blashill was given his two year extention I thought that Holland had won the front office power play and Yzerman was going to Seattle or Edmonton but he is coming home to take over the Wings.

Oh happy day. I think my feet will be two inches off the ground the rest of the day.

1 minute ago, SpikeDDS said:

@yave1964

You obviously missed my posted topic entitled “There is a God, and He is Good!”

I missed it!! I have been chasing grandkids and skyping with my wife who is on vacation in Hawaii visiting one of our daughters! Yay!!!!!!

Yeah when Blash was entended and Holland made that snarky comment about I am the GM and will be until I am not anymore I thought, well that is that. My wife sent me the link, WOOT WOOT! Plan the parade!

• Like 1

1. 4 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

To paraphrase a Seinfeld line: "He's real, and he's magnificent."

lol.

All seriousness, Dreger has been saying for months that he thinks, not so much from a source but from a hunch that Holland is going to end up in Edmonton either as GM or as an exec tutoring a young GM. I have been critical of Holland, stating that he handled the decline of the Wings poorly refusing to acknowledge the rebuild instead continuing to give up young assets for washed up vets such as Legwand, Zidlicky and Cole to sneak into the playoffs only to lose in five games in the first round for several years before it fell apart completely. IDK, maybe he would rediscover something that has been missing with a new organization, if you want him you can have him.

1 hour ago, yave1964 said:

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/nhl/red-wings/2019/04/19/red-wings-announce-news-conference-friday-steve-yzerman/3517801002/?fbclid=IwAR1AErCI75qb3YKjq7Mw605xe5ajkxEveiLdFEmgm2ZLGtra2sLV1y2vjPg

@SpikeDDS

Here ya go. Stevie is coming home, the presser is scheduled for tomorrow, Kenny Holland is being kicked upstairs to Executive VP for the one remaining year on his deal and Yzerman who built the successful Lightning franchise is coming home to fix the wings. When Blashill was given his two year extention I thought that Holland had won the front office power play and Yzerman was going to Seattle or Edmonton but he is coming home to take over the Wings.

Oh happy day. I think my feet will be two inches off the ground the rest of the day.

59 minutes ago, SpikeDDS said:

@yave1964

You obviously missed my posted topic entitled “There is a God, and He is Good!”

The prodigal son returns home..... :)

• Good Post 1

7 hours ago, SpikeDDS said:

It’s about time!

Good news for Wings fans indeed.

Between the Bolts, Bruins, Leafs all contenders already, this news, the Panthers and Sabres making strides to be very competitive as well, the Atlantic Division could be shaping up to be one of the toughest divisions in hockey in the near future.

High expectations for Yzerman, not only because of who he is, but because of what he has accomplished taking an abysmal performing franchise like the Lightning, and turning them into a yearly contender through smart drafting, acquisitions, and even tough love on players when it was needed.

But as much pressure as all that will add to his new post in Detroit, I suspect Stevie Y wouldn't have it any other way!

• Like 2

@yave1964

@TropicalFruitGirl26

@pilldoc

@JR Ewing

Steve Yzerman is the PERFECT fit right now. It is good for the organization, because as vaunted as Kenny Holland’s history with the franchise has been with the 3 Cups and so many consecutive years in the playoffs, he CLEARLY has made a number of SERIOUS booboos. And some of them aren’t going away any time soon.

To Holland’s credit, he started making some better decisions since dealing with Datsyuk’s bolting for Russia. Not ALL of them. Here we are with a long-term deal for Justin Abdelkader who went 41 games between goals this season! We are going to regret that.

But to be fair, he actually had started to do something for us lately with excellent deals for draft picks and solid draft picks.

It might have been easy for Holland to let his ego get in the way of letting someone else take the helm. With Stevie being such a good friend, that made that decision easier for him and for ownership. And the team needs this. Badly!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SpikeDDS said:

@yave1964

@TropicalFruitGirl26

@pilldoc

@JR Ewing

Steve Yzerman is the PERFECT fit right now. It is good for the organization, because as vaunted as Kenny Holland’s history with the franchise has been with the 3 Cups and so many consecutive years in the playoffs, he CLEARLY has made a number of SERIOUS booboos. And some of them aren’t going away any time soon.

To Holland’s credit, he started making some better decisions since dealing with Datsyuk’s bolting for Russia. Not ALL of them. Here we are with a long-term deal for Justin Abdelkader who went 41 games between goals this season! We are going to regret that.

But to be fair, he actually had started to do something for us lately with excellent deals for draft picks and solid draft picks.

It might have been easy for Holland to let his ego get in the way of letting someone else take the helm. With Stevie being such a good friend, that made that decision easier for him and for ownership. And the team needs this. Badly!

Totally understand ....we kind of felt the same thing when Hexy took over for the Flyers.  However, Yzerman has a better track record than Hexy .... but I do understand......

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, SpikeDDS said:

@yave1964

@TropicalFruitGirl26

@pilldoc

@JR Ewing

And his first move i read is to offer sheet Brayden Point.

Nah i kid....

• Haha 3

• 2 months later...

Not that I need to tell you Detroit Red Wings fans this, but this is something to get excited about...from NHL.com
https://www.nhl.com/news/detroit-red-wings-roster-news-projected-lineups/c-308218592?tid=281151520

Basically, Stevie Y is seemingly going through the same motions as GM for the Wings as he did with the Lightning when he started out with us.

He fully understands the condition the franchise is in, is evaluating things as we speak, and you can bet your bottom octopus he will make moves (he has already) that will begin to help remedy the situation.

Hmmmm…..hire out competent vets while the younger players develop? Sounds awwwwfully familiar to Lightning fans.
From a Bolts point of view, as much as I probably am going to grit my teeth at "those nasty Wings" getting in the way, I also am excited to see Yzerman work his magic yet again with another franchise...…….I truly have become a fan of his, whether he is TB GM or not.

This can only bode well...very well....for the Red Wings future...and it may not be so far off.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Damn Stevie done broke it off in the Black Hawks... stole their top line center.

@yave1964

The contract of

with the

is worth 6.5M total for 2 years (2.75 and 3.75)

Gambled and lost.

Edited by OccamsRazor
#boubonup
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 7/12/2019 at 1:56 PM, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Hmmmm…..hire out competent vets while the younger players develop? Sounds awwwwfully familiar to Lightning fans.
From a Bolts point of view, as much as I probably am going to grit my teeth at "those nasty Wings" getting in the way, I also am excited to see Yzerman work his magic yet again with another franchise...…….I truly have become a fan of his, whether he is TB GM or not.

This can only bode well...very well....for the Red Wings future...and it may not be so far off.

And you weren't a fan back when he hadn't yet won the Cup and he gave back $1M in resigning a new contract telling the front office to get him more talent that would allow the team to go all the way. Nick Lidstrom followed that example, shunning $12M FA contracts and signing with Detroit to end his career there for $8M/season in order for the team to remain competitive. From that year on, no matter how good a FA was that was being considered, "NO ONE gets paid more than Nick," became the standard. Hossa learned that firsthand.

The point is that Yzerman set the standard even as a player that winning was the most important thing, and that sometimes it costs you to do it. When Bowman was trying to implement the left wing lock, Yzerman, at first, resisted because it was going to affect his personal stats. He ALMOST got traded as a result of it. But he stayed and they kept coming close, but no cigar until after he agreed to do it Scotty's way, and then the next year he signed for $1M less the next year (might have been 2).

Since then he's never forgotten the lessons he learned. You could tell the way he handled the Drouin situation. You can't put all of your salary eggs in one basket or you won't have enough $ left to pay for a decent supporting team. And no one man can win a Cup alone. He tried!

These lessons are what makes him a great GM. You're right to be a fan.