Game 10: Flyers at Islanders; 10/27/19 at 7:00

Howie58

21 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Well from what i am hearing and from what i seen of the highlights because i didn't get to watch it sounds like he could benefit from maybe being sent to the Phantoms for a week or so to work on his game.

I'm not sure that solves the problem. Who is the other NHL goalie in this scenario? Don't say Lyon, because at absolute BEST he is a mediocre backup in very limited play. Does that mean Elliott is the starter? 

That is the real problem - the alternative to Hart is not able to handle a starter workload while Hart figures it out. 

But if they want to keep him up and just let him work on it in practice i guess i can understand. But at some point he will have to get back in a game....the only way to overcome it...i guess i knew it just couldn't be Philly without some issues in net. SMFH.

I think the kid will figure it out go thing he already has his own shrink.

Not making excuses maybe the Flyers were tired being a back to back....the Isles were rested. Either way they will get it figured out.

I do have faith in them.....for now.

I don't think we have "issues" in net. The "issues" are with the fans' expectations. 

With a young goalie like Hart, and any young player - it's hard to put a timeline to it. Matt Murray won two cups by the time he was 22 and was lights out excellent. Binnington didn't really get his NHL shot until last year at 25. Rinne wasn't in the NHL until he was 26 (is he REALLY turning 37 next week????). Tim Thomas wasn't a thing until he was 31.

Hart's timeline could be weeks, months, or years.

He's just 21 and fans were counting on him being "exceptional" in his development, Fletch included, if we take the Elliott signing as evidence.

Which is why a reliable backup capable of being the starter is kinda critical.

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

2 minutes ago, brelic said:

I'm not sure that solves the problem.

Yes it could if they get him back to playing well.

2 minutes ago, brelic said:

Don't say Lyon, because at absolute BEST he is a mediocre backup in very limited play. Does that mean Elliott is the starter? 

Yes it could be him or Berube to back Elliott up for a week or two. Yeah it's not elite level backup material i give you that. But the backup wouldn't have to play till the upcoming weekend vs. the Devils or Leafs.

It's that or just wait and play Hart in the back to back....but the Leafs are the second half of the back to back and i'm afraid that is too much to ask from a kid who is fighting the puck.

That and whomever comes up in his place would have to go back down with waivers and could be lost. I wouldn't be that upset with it because i want Sandstrom in the AHL anyways.

7 minutes ago, brelic said:

I don't think we have "issues" in net.

Well sure Elliott has been playing well with the exception of the Jackets game but Hart's issues are wll "issues" or we'll just have to agree to disagree.

10 minutes ago, brelic said:

He's just 21 and fans were counting on him being "exceptional" in his development, Fletch included, if we take the Elliott signing as evidence.

I don't think anyone was expecting him to be "exceptional"...but better than average is a fair expectation...and he hasn't. 

I am confident he will fix it...and i am fine if they want to keep him up. 

4 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Yes it could if they get him back to playing well.

Yes it could be him or Berube to back Elliott up for a week or two. Yeah it's not elite level backup material i give you that. But the backup wouldn't have to play till the upcoming weekend vs. the Devils or Leafs.

Yeah, forgot about Berube. Just looked and Lyon has been significantly better than Berube. 

Eesh. 

It's that or just wait and play Hart in the back to back....but the Leafs are the second half of the back to back and i'm afraid that is too much to ask from a kid who is fighting the puck.

I'm totally onboard with letting Hart work through his issues. You can't truly succeed if you don't fail first. 

I'd try and go 60/40 Elliott/Hart until Hart shows something different. That *should* be reasonable and not break Elliott if they monitor him closely. 

I don't think anyone was expecting him to be "exceptional"...but better than average is a fair expectation...and he hasn't. 

What I mean by "exceptional" is the root of the word... "exception." Fans and management expected Hart to be the "exception" to normal goaltender development timelines. 

Not that he stood on his head all time, but I think fans expected him to be "fully baked", if you will. Plug and play.

We're seeing it doesn't work that way. Even our young defensemen are struggling - and not just last night. Same with forwards. I love Lindblom, but he still makes some very ill-advised plays sometimes and a few have led to goals against. It's all part of it.

We like to say all the time that development is not linear, and... well, this is what it looks like I guess.

I am confident he will fix it...and i am fine if they want to keep him up. 

Yeah, me too. And if he doesn't, someone will at some point.. right? We can't possibly be that cursed!! Lol

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, brelic said:

I'm totally onboard with letting Hart work through his issues.

I am too. I just think he needs to just get back the positioning he had displayed so well and then find his glove hand.

I don't think it's anything real alarming and i'm should can be coached up. The Devils might be the team he needs to be back to winning next weekend and let Elliott take the following Leafs game.

The quickest way to get back on the horse they say is well to get back on the horse.

13 minutes ago, brelic said:

Not that he stood on his head all time, but I think fans expected him to be "fully baked", if you will.

Oh no doubt....Philly fans not all but a lot expect too much especially with all the hype that came with the kid. At the end of the day he is human and we all have bad days at the office.

I think whenever you’re losing, adversity reveals character....and ain't nothing wrong with adversity.

Besides this guy came from juniors almost were he was playing a lot and now he isn't that is an adjustment too.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I am too. I just think he needs to just get back the positioning he had displayed so well and then find his glove hand.

Yeah, and as we saw with Carey Price, that's something that might take years to really develop.

At one time, fans wanted to trade Price and keep Halak.

Who's gonna be our "Halak"? Lol

Looked like they went out hard after the CBJ win.  Way out of sync and behind the Islanders.  Rough game.  Toss the tape in the trash.

Hart will be fine in the long run.  He's going to have rough stretches.  I just hope they don't ruin his confidence one way or another.  I would not send him to the Phantoms.

41 minutes ago, MaineFlyFan said:

Did Michael Neuvirth retire?.....Asking for a friend.....

Tried to, but cut himself signing his retirement papers.  Out 4-6 months with a UBI.

• Haha 3
  • Good Post 1

Travis Sanheim better learn that at this level he's going to get hit.

tired of seeing him lose puck battles. 

watching him play scared in this game and the pgh game has been ungratifying at the least.

Not sure where to point the finger as far as the forwards go, maybe they need to get into the gym and get stronger ? seems like they can have their sticks tied up pretty easily and for long periods of time.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Travis Sanheim better learn that at this level he's going to get hit.

tired of seeing him lose puck battles. 

I'm glad someone is seeing this.

I seen it last year and was hoping he would change that a little.

His play has been discouraging to say the least.

He has some size but it's wanting to use it to his advantage.

• Like 1

I'm glad someone is seeing this.

I seen it last year and was hoping he would change that a little.

His play has been discouraging to say the least.

He has some size but it's wanting to use it to his advantage.

I was never a big guy 5'11" 185-90 so I can't relate and say "this- 'this thing here- this is his problem".

But I do wonder if he doesn't think like a big man, he has always been able to out skate everyone nearly all of his hockey life.

In the NHL there are big dudes who are just as fast, and now he's getting hit some...I wonder if he's having some growing pains and needs to learn to be more of a bully, if he's got a good compete level he'll figure it out. 

That's a tough thing to learn if you've never needed to use it. 

But yes, I've noticed he doesn't like getting hit, I don't either, but then it's not in my job description either.

Edited by mojo1917
  • Like 1