Game 11: Flyers at Pens; 10/29/19 @ 7:00

Howie58

2 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

I am resigned to understand that this will be a "process" and not every night is going to be awesome. 

Aside from the line being stolen from the Sixers, I would be happier with the "Trust The Process" theory if that hadn't been the theory for the past seven years. (Maybe longer)

"Won the Trades" - Trust the Process

"Hextall's Plan" - Trust the Process

"New Coach and GM" - Trust the Process

There's a point at which trust has been abused to the extent that it's simply not easily offered any more.

I get that that point is different for different people.

Obviously, I'm still here. I'm still paying attention. I'm still somewhat invested in the team that represents my home town, that I've supported for 40 years, that plays the professional sport of which I'm the most fond.  But for a team that pretty much went into the season saying "new 2C + vet D = playoffs!" I just might be beyond the "Trust the Process" point with this group. 😡

Voracek remains inconsistent. Giroux is having a(nother) slow start*. Defense - a supposed strength - is maddening. Goaltending is...** The team is stumbling out of the gate and will need to do a lot to get back into the playoff mix. Lather. Rinse. Repeat. Yes - "reasons." 🤪

It's not "they got blown out by the Pens so blow it up" - it's that this core has achieved virtually nothing over an extended period of time. Change the coach. Change the GM. Add a free agent...

Trust the Process. 🤔

* I am aware that he has had seasons that had "good' starts (last year among them) but there have been many "slow" starts...

** I'm on board with "sophomore slump" for Hart. 🌞😎

@radoran

I get that in the course of 82 games there are going to be "those" nights where **** doesn't go right, Calgary ( nothing went right) and the Dallas game this year. 

But the lack of effort against that rival was the thing I found alarming, watching Voracek glide around while dudes with an 8th of his talent took the puck from him was maddening.

Watching our guys get out-competed by dudes who are a twisted knee away from working at Fortino's full time made me wish for two weeks of bag skates for the Flyers. 

• Like 1

Just now, mojo1917 said:

Watching our guys get out-competed by dudes who are a twisted knee away from working at Fortino's full time made me wish for two weeks of bag skates for the Flyers. 

That's the most maddening thing...

Also, how this "leadership group" - of which Voracek is a part - isn't chomping at the bit to go out and show that they are a legit team that can "compete for the playoffs" is beyond dismaying.

That's, for me, where "trade them" is more and more of an option...

I'm not calling for a fire sale, but if the next two weeks doesn't result in Meltzer's mythical 7-1-2 run (or at the very least solid showings against top competition) IMO they're going to need to do something - and something big.

I desperately want something that shows me that Giroux's term as the soon-to-be longest-standing captain in organizational history has something more to show for it than the most disappointing stretch of hockey in organizational history.

2 hours ago, radoran said:

I'm not calling for a fire sale, but if the next two weeks doesn't result in Meltzer's mythical 7-1-2 run (or at the very least solid showings against top competition) IMO they're going to need to do something

For me, and I suspect for the Coaching staff and GM, it's more about how they are playing than the record. One leads to the other. We've had a couple of real stinkers, but also played some good hockey, sometimes where goaltending let us down. 

• Like 1

On 10/29/2019 at 9:20 PM, pilldoc said:

Absolutely agree.... and that was before the age of the internet and fan forums such as this.... I remember staying up and listening on the radio .... damn I miss Gene Harts voice....

After games that we attended we used to run back to the car (when you could park on Pattison Ave.) to hear the Pepsi Post Game Show so we could hear Gene Hart call the goals in his awesome way with the Spectrum crowd roaring in the background.  It was one of the most perfect sounds I have ever heard in my life.

• Like 3