Kaapo Kahkonen is making the Wild's playoff goaltending decision tougher

11 hours ago, lynxrattle said:

Agree with the rotation. Two good enough goalies sharing the workload. Come playoffs the hotter hand should get more responsibility.

I also would like to see some goalie rotation during the playoffs like Penguins did on winning 2 Stanley Cups in a row. No doubt we must to make playoffs this season and both goalies should be involved just to diminish pressure for one goalie during a long playoffs run. Last playoffs season Kahkonen played zero games as a backup goalie for Talbot and, I think, for  Stalock too (the season before).

1 hour ago, Icechipper said:

Who among our netminders have had Covid? We may need three if we make playoffs. Iowa playoff bound, likely.

If I remember, Talbot had Covid last year and has already a wider spectrum of antibodies. I think we should be fine with our goalies tandem.  I am not sure if I like any goalies in Iowa. Maybe, our #1 draft Wallstedt will be available by that time for some tryouts during the end of the regular season? His stats in Sweden are pretty good for years. And in 20 games this season there he has so far GAA 1.95.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Alexandron said:

If I remember, Talbot had Covid last year and has already a wider spectrum of antibodies. I think we should be fine with our goalies tandem.  I am not sure if I like any goalies in Iowa. Maybe, our #1 draft Wallstedt will be available by that time for some tryouts during the end of the regular season? His stats in Sweden are pretty good for years. And in 20 games this season there he has so far GAA 1.95.

Unless we have solidified a Home ice spot for the PO's, I don't think that's a good time to be experimenting. :)
Given how our division has been playing, It's probably going too come down to the last few games of where most end up spot wise.
Still can't believe the AV's are on such a tear with Keumper in net. :P 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ClusterChuck said:

Unless we have solidified a Home ice spot for the PO's, I don't think that's a good time to be experimenting. :)
Given how our division has been playing, It's probably going too come down to the last few games of where most end up spot wise.
Still can't believe the AV's are on such a tear with Keumper in net. :P 

With Kuemper's GAA 2.58 in 30 games, it is enough for Avalanche to be on the top of Western Conference because they are the most productive team(181 goals) in that Conference and they are also a 2nd team in goals in entire NHL league after Panthers (192 goals). Definitely, will be difficult to play against this team during a playoffs time. I was surprised when I found out that Darcy is already 31 y.o. He was drafted by Wild organization in 2009 round 6; #161 overall. Last year he have got a Gold medal at World Championship by playing for the Canada team (in 8 played games there his record was 5-2-1, GAA 2.17; SV% .916)

3 hours ago, Alexandron said:

With Kuemper's GAA 2.58 in 30 games, it is enough for Avalanche to be on the top of Western Conference because they are the most productive team(181 goals) in that Conference and they are also a 2nd team in goals in entire NHL league after Panthers (192 goals). Definitely, will be difficult to play against this team during a playoffs time. I was surprised when I found out that Darcy is already 31 y.o. He was drafted by Wild organization in 2009 round 6; #161 overall. Last year he have got a Gold medal at World Championship by playing for the Canada team (in 8 played games there his record was 5-2-1, GAA 2.17; SV% .916)

That alone takes a huge amount of pressure off Darcy. Something he didn't have here and it mentally showed. Maybe he's got his head staightened out now.
I'm not that big on stats like GAA like many are. It usually reflects the team around you more than individual performance.
Keumper's is close to Kahkonen's but who's the better of the two then?
If you compare Kahk's 2.50 (or so) to Talbot's almost 3.00, Again who's the better goalie?
In my mind, Who has played the tougher teams to beat? ...Just an 'average' stat doesn't tell me that much.

38 minutes ago, ClusterChuck said:

That alone takes a huge amount of pressure off Darcy. Something he didn't have here and it mentally showed. Maybe he's got his head staightened out now.
I'm not that big on stats like GAA like many are. It usually reflects the team around you more than individual performance.
Keumper's is close to Kahkonen's but who's the better of the two then?
If you compare Kahk's 2.50 (or so) to Talbot's almost 3.00, Again who's the better goalie?
In my mind, Who has played the tougher teams to beat? ...Just an 'average' stat doesn't tell me that much.

It's been close between Kaapo and Darcy this season.
Granted, Kuemper has played almost twice the games, but here are some more comparison stats to chew on, paying special attention to QS (quality starts) and RBS (really bad starts).
Seems Kaapo has put in more quality starts per game than Kuemper, but his RBS is 3, only two behind Kuemper's in about half the games, so seems 6 of one, half a dozen of the other, assuming Kaapo keeps this performance through the same amount of games as Darcy.

Also interesting:
Kuemper has a better save % on shots in close than Kaapo...but is that due to his taller stature?
Kahkonen also seems to be better when short handed, but again, that could be due to the Wild being better defensively than the Avalanche.

Would love to see a more even playing field comparison of these guys....which would only happen with Kaapo getting regular starts.

1538421947_goaliestats.thumb.jpg.30bbedde15fa7fb997d02bc7031c141c.jpg

• Like 1

They seem pretty similar statswise. Probably the deciding factor in the playoffs would be how the teams defend, and on an individual level, which of the two (or three, if Talbot is considered too) is more level-headed when the pressure starts to build to boiling level.

I think Darcy’s biggest fault is his head. Ever since he was concussed with the wild he has kind of melted down when he gets contacted. 
Kakhonen’s problem seems to be rebound control and losing track of pucks after a rebound. 
I’ll take a cool head in the playoffs every time. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Tomdog said:

I think Darcy’s biggest fault is his head. Ever since he was concussed with the wild he has kind of melted down when he gets contacted. 
Kakhonen’s problem seems to be rebound control and losing track of pucks after a rebound. 
I’ll take a cool head in the playoffs every time. 

Kaapo before games :ph34r:

good humor.jpg

• Haha 2

Out of curiosity I looked back at the games so far. I wanted to see which goalie has played which teams.
Granted not a good comparision as Talbot has had the Lion's share of starts, But found some things interesting.

Talbot's 1st 5 games were wins, Then some 2 w's and 2 L's and then zigzag the next few. ** 3 of the 4 losses in that period we only scored 1 goal in those games.
Next was a 6 game win streak, But then the wheels came off with 4 straight L's including the Classic. Possibly his injury was already creeping up? 🤔 More likely the cold.
He's now won his last 3 in a row.

Kahkonen, I figured was getting the 'Easier' teams for his starts, But he's had to deal with some of the better ones too in his fewer starts. (Caps, Bruins, Ducks, All wins .... While losing to TB, Nash and AV's. We only scored 1 in his loss to LA )
The other wins came via NYI, Chicago and Coyotes Twice each, 1 vs Devils.

Silver lining of that lousy Tri-fecta of Talbot's 4 game losing streak (team 5)...His injury...Covid Cancellations, Had not all 3 happened, Would we have seen Boldy, Rossi and Dewar?

• Good Post 1

We've proven we can score with the best of them. I would like the team to start finetuning the defense now. It's way too sloppy. Grade A chances given here and there every game. We need to have a good defense to succeed and to gain information where Talbot and Kahkonen are at, at their game.