Naming Rights to the NHL Divisions this year.

pilldoc

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/30656402/nhl-sells-naming-rights-four-new-divisions

The National Hockey League has sold naming rights to its four divisions for the first time in its history. The league announced Tuesday that its teams will play in the Scotia NHL North Division, Honda NHL West Division, Discover NHL Central Division and the MassMutual NHL East Division during the 2020-21 season, which runs 56 games and begins on Jan. 13.

An NHL source told ESPN that selling the naming rights to its divisions is viewed internally as a one-year-only campaign.

I will keep this short and sweet ...... I HATE IT!!  🤮 :rage:  Enough said. I don't care if it is for only 1 year .... I HATE IT!

carry on

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This cracks me up, really, this is anathema ?

There is no "sanctity" with regards to sports leagues. 

They are playing hockey; if this is what it takes so teams are able to make some $ in lieu of gate receipts since the country can't get it's act together regarding the pandemic, they can drop the geographical designation and just call it the Mass Mutual division. I don't care.

If there isn't sponsorship or a subscription of some sort then we are the product. This is fine and I don't mean in the way the dog in the burning room is fine. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/30656402/nhl-sells-naming-rights-four-new-divisions

The National Hockey League has sold naming rights to its four divisions for the first time in its history. The league announced Tuesday that its teams will play in the Scotia NHL North Division, Honda NHL West Division, Discover NHL Central Division and the MassMutual NHL East Division during the 2020-21 season, which runs 56 games and begins on Jan. 13.

An NHL source told ESPN that selling the naming rights to its divisions is viewed internally as a one-year-only campaign.

I will keep this short and sweet ...... I HATE IT!!  🤮 :rage:  Enough said. I don't care if it is for only 1 year .... I HATE IT!

carry on

I get it.  I hate it too.

But this is a gate-driven sport and the owners are taking a bath.    For $20, the owner will deliver your Uber Eats in an NHL-branded paper bag.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I get it.  I hate it too.

But this is a gate-driven sport and the owners are taking a bath.    For $20, the owner will deliver your Uber Eats in an NHL-branded paper bag.

I get it too and due to these difficult financial times I understand, but it does not mean I have to agree with it.

43 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

This cracks me up, really, this is anathema ?

There is no "sanctity" with regards to sports leagues. 

They are playing hockey; if this is what it takes so teams are able to make some $ in lieu of gate receipts since the country can't get it's act together regarding the pandemic, they can drop the geographical designation and just call it the Mass Mutual division. I don't care.

If there isn't sponsorship or a subscription of some sort then we are the product. This is fine and I don't mean in the way the dog in the burning room is fine. 

Like I said to Rux  above ... I get it....I really do.  Call me a purist.   Maybe I overreacted a tad bit, I just get tired of all the corporate naming of events such as the "Capital One" Orange Bowl, "Goodyear" Cotton Bowl, etc ... even naming arena's after corporate sponsorship.  Lincoln Financial Field ....miss the old Veteran's Stadium name, or The Spectrum instead of take your pick of Wells Fargo / Corestates Center / Wachovia Center ...etc  you get my drift.  

I do understand a lot of money is being lost by these franchises and the league due to the pandemic.  Doesn't mean I have to like it.  And let me throw my version of an adult tantrum for 15 minutes :bigteeth::P ....I'll get over it. :) 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

Maybe I overreacted a tad bit

Nope.  I had a visceral reaction to it myself.   And I'm still not liking the helmet ads.

Who am I kidding?   I'm still bothered by the ads on the ice.   I'm waiting for the "this space available" signs in the crease.

"Five Hole:  Filled by Tampax."

• Like 2
  • Uggh... 1

@ruxpin @pilldoc

I hate $13 Bud Lights and $ 17 burgers from Shake Shack. *Ummm burgers (full disclosure- I love Shake Shack and would pay whatever)

So to me; if turning the rink and the box score into corporate bill boards helps keep the live event accessible to me - middle class mojo...then get the sewing kit, silk screens and let's EPL this **** up!

I love the game at the rink, there is nearly nothing better, but it has become so expensive. I just look at all * gestures broadly* that with the understanding that without it's abhorrent aesthetics I wouldn't be able to attend the games at all. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

full disclosure- I love Shake Shack and would pay whatever

I like them, too (though I haven't had a burger since I went on my diet in July), but buckle up because they're on the "most likely to fold" list for 2021.

My other problem with Shake Shack is that I live in Podunk and would have to drive forever to get to one.

• Like 1

On 1/5/2021 at 1:59 PM, pilldoc said:

carry on

I think what we're witnessing is the slow death of professional sports leagues (overall).  

Without sounding like an old fart too much, there was a time when pro sports was all about the game. Money eventually became the overriding influence in the game. People stopped calling it a "game" and started calling it a "business". The players stopped being like one of us and became more like CEOs of major corporations, isolated and detached from reality. The players became more interested in money than winning. The league became more interested in money than the game. That's where we are today. 

The "nothing is sacred", "nothing is honored", "nothing is preserved", "nothing is left untouched" mentality of sports leagues makes fans question the validity of the league itself. 

When you begin selling out your team names, division names, and so on...... you've sold out your entire product and have stopped being a caretaker for the game you're supposed to represent.

13 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

I don't believe it has to be this way. I believe fans allow it to be this way by not speaking up and threatening to walk away.

But they won't, and the owners know they won't, so they do what they want to maximise return