Game 27: Flyers at Rangers; 3/15/21 @ 7, NBCSP

Howie58

Greetings:

The O and B are mild favorites, but we have lost nine of the last 15 and the Rags may be a franchise on the way up.  Kincaid may be in goal for the Rangers. He is playing well for them. 

https://www.covers.com/nhl/flyers-vs-rangers-picks-predictions-march-15-2021

I suspect that next 7-10 games will say a lot about our season.  Candidly, Niskanen's departure may explain part of what we're seeing, but it can't be the the sole explanation.  The players seem to respect AV.  From my vantage, there's a talent problem. Meanwhile, as some have noted, watching this team is tough.  

Edited by Howie58

Not sure I will even turn this one on.

At work till 7 and then going by the gym before heading home.

I'll check the Scoreboard (not sure why when I type Scoreboard it keeps capitalizing it but go figure on my phone) when I get home.

Maybe they finally get a win.

If they don't well it may be worse than we thought.

40 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Not sure I will even turn this one on.

At work till 7 and then going by the gym before heading home.

I'll check the Scoreboard (not sure why when I type Scoreboard it keeps capitalizing it but go figure on my phone) when I get home.

Maybe they finally get a win.

If they don't well it may be worse than we 

Its funny. The forum used to support the games. Now, the games are the support and the forum is the highlight. The interaction here, with the exception of when Leaf and Pen fans get lost and end up here, is more exciting and interesting than watching this team play. 

The only way i know when a game is on is when Howie posts game threads. The only way i see the game is when you post a link. The only reason I know what happens is when everyone talks about the game. And the only thing that makes my head spin more than Bourbon is reading a post from Pods 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

34 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Good news Carter Hart is the guy they ate going to hang out and dry tonight...

:PopcornSmiley2:

Im traveling,  so I guess I'll miss the game 

Darn the bad luck!

Gosh, now I almost feel guilty starting a thread....but I get some of what's felt here.  No...a lot.  

Most of us are emigres from Philly.com and joined up 2011 or thereabouts.  Reflecting on the last decade, we've been a team wallowing in mediocrity.  Having another mediocre season after last season's upswing is disheartening.  There's no other way to look at it.  

Maybe Fletcher represents a break from the Snider-vision past.  Maybe not.  One thing that's gone through my mind lately is our first-round draft picks.  Rubstov, Morin, and Patrick may not help us much.  Laughton will be a pillar.  Provo...yes.  The rest...a blur with a promising Farabee.  Meanwhile, our D, which we thought to be a pillar....

Well, we carry on.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Here's an interesting article on the team.  We are not a definite buyer or seller at the tradeline.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/flyers-face-tough-trade-deadline-133501304.html

Fletcher has no easy path forward.  As this post notes, our expensive elders aren't easily movable.  We may not see a good D-man without major sacrifices.  

If I were Fletch: Collect draft choices, look forward to a restructuring of Giroux's next contract, and pray that Hart really is a franchise goalie.  

Edited by Howie58

AV says Prosser stays in. Hagg and Gus still out.

Alex Lyon will be the backup tonight, not Brian Elliott. AV says Elliott is healthy, but that he was skated hard this morning and therefore is getting the night off. Hart still starts.

Raffl will play center tonight, in between Lindblom and NAK.

6 hours ago, Howie58 said:

Here's an interesting article on the team.  We are not a definite buyer or seller at the tradeline.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/flyers-face-tough-trade-deadline-133501304.html

Fletcher has no easy path forward.  As this post notes, our expensive elders aren't easily movable.  We may not see a good D-man without major sacrifices.  

If I were Fletch: Collect draft choices, look forward to a restructuring of Giroux's next contract, and pray that Hart really is a franchise goalie.  

Do you really think it’s wise to give Giroux another contract?  If it was for one or two years and for less $$ than he’s making now, then maybe, but only if we unload two other big contracts somehow.  We still have JVR, Hayes and Voracek ‘s bloated contracts, plus Coots salary is gonna double, plus Hart , Laughton and Sanheim , and others are due contracts.  So if we somehow unloaded two of those highly paid players, then maybe you let G retire a Flyer , but if we are stuck with those other three , then there is no way I waste big $$ on G. I would free up $$ for a potential impact FA , not waste 7 or 8 million on a guy who is fading.

5 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

Do you really think it’s wise to give Giroux another contract?  If it was for one or two years and for less $$ than he’s making now, then maybe, but only if we unload two other big contracts somehow.  We still have JVR, Hayes and Voracek ‘s bloated contracts, plus Coots salary is gonna double, plus Hart , Laughton and Sanheim , and others are due contracts.  So if we somehow unloaded two of those highly paid players, then maybe you let G retire a Flyer , but if we are stuck with those other three , then there is no way I waste big $$ on G. I would free up $$ for a potential impact FA , not waste 7 or 8 million on a guy who is fading.

Dear RJ:

We agree; that's why I said restructuring.  If he is re-signed, I suspect it is less than half the salary and a few years. Age and productivity matter!

16 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

Dear RJ:

We agree; that's why I said restructuring.  If he is re-signed, I suspect it is less than half the salary and a few years. Age and productivity matter!

The big question is, will G agree to something like that? Most guys try to get one last big payday and they usually want too many years on top of that. 

27 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

The big question is, will G agree to something like that? Most guys try to get one last big payday and they usually want too many years on top of that. 

If he doesn't, it is time to part ways. The salary cap doesnt allow for sentimentality. Remember Jerome Iginla.

Watching the Flyers is like watching "Tora, Tora, Tora." You know the **** will not agree to less aggression in Asia. We will get caught with our pants down. The Arizona will blow up....The O and B will take a lead, blow it, our D will get blown passed, give up 2 goals in 2 mins. It is hockey version of "Groundhog Day."

• Haha 1