Boldy signs

Jimtown guy

On 3/30/2021 at 8:56 PM, Icechipper said:

Hope they give him a few games with big club! 

I am already skeptical regarding his tryout in the big club based on what we have seen so far this season in a current tryouts from Iowa. No Sokolov, no Dewar, no Giroux, no Gordeev, few games only for offensively minded Addison and Mayhew, no signed contact for natural offensively minded profi  defenseman 23 y.o. Minnesotan Brennan Menell.

35 minutes ago, Alexandron said:

I am already skeptical regarding his tryout in the big club based on what we have seen so far this season in a current tryouts from Iowa. No Sokolov, no Dewar, no Giroux, no Gordeev, few games only for offensively minded Addison and Mayhew, no signed contact for natural offensively minded profi  defenseman 23 y.o. Minnesotan Brennan Menell.

I heard a Guerin quote on KFAN. He said a tryout is up to Boldy. If he plays well enough, he'll get one. He doesn't want to overwhelm anyone, though. "The best league in the world" after all. There's a certain wisdom in that. We don't want to rush our prospects in, Oilers style. On the other hand one can't be too hesitant, either. When you give a chance, you give a chance. Otherwise we'll have another Tuch on our hands, without knowing it. Personally I'd like them to take more risks than they seem to be doing now.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, lynxrattle said:

I heard a Guerin quote on KFAN. He said a tryout is up to Boldy. If he plays well enough, he'll get one. He doesn't want to overwhelm anyone, though. "The best league in the world" after all. There's a certain wisdom in that. We don't want to rush our prospects in, Oilers style. On the other hand one can't be too hesitant, either. When you give a chance, you give a chance. Otherwise we'll have another Tuch on our hands, without knowing it. Personally I'd like them to take more risks than they seem to be doing now.

Completely agree. Without risks the team will be in dormant conditions forever. I really want to see above mentioned players tryouts including Boldy in the big club. Maybe some of them will shine the team with their play, like Kaprizov does. Search for talents should have a continuous/none stop mode. As more we will have as better and dangerous team will be.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, lynxrattle said:

I am 100% fine with that.  IMO, you have to earn it, and its a good message to send to everyone in the organization let alone Boldy.  Play well and demonstrate you are worthy of a call up.  If he can't do that, then its hard to believe he'd perform better in Minnesota if he isn't able to do so playing for the Iowa Wild.  

I think we've rushed prospects far too often.  Tuch was doing fine in Iowa.  When we call him up, he's not being used nearly in the same way he was in Iowa and I think that takes some getting used to.  The team then felt he was expendible...and parlayed him to protect Dumba which is ironic since we're almost certainly going to have to part ways with him or lose him in the expansion draft to Seattle.  

I agree there. One definitely needs to excel in Iowa in order to earn the chance. Then, when one gets the chance, the chance needs to be real. If one has been a goal scoring monster in a gold medal winning team in WJC like Boldy, one should have the chance to show what one can do with decent PP time and good linemates.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, lynxrattle said:

I agree there. One definitely needs to excel in Iowa in order to earn the chance. Then, when one gets the chance, the chance needs to be real. If one has been a goal scoring monster in a gold medal winning team in WJC like Boldy, one should have the chance to show what one can do with decent PP time and good linemates.

The chance needs to be real. 100% agree. Some players I do see for years in the big club and having lots of chances, but do not present a lot of interest as players and for some players I do see minimal or even 0 chances to play in the Wild uniform besides on their impressing results in AHL or KHL or other leagues( Mayhew; Menell; Anas; Dewar; Sokolov; Giroux; Addison; Touch...). And some players even did not show any will to play well in Iowa (like Greenway and Donato), but only in NHL. The NHL coaching staff also should be responsible for the professional preparation of players who showed  not ordinary impressive results in minor leagues, but not creating a double standards for those players :if I like his character then he will play, if I do not like his character then he will not be playing and  will be send back to Iowa. Personally, for me, the most of AHL players with the nice results there should be tried at least for 50 games with a big club before to make a decision if he could be playing in NHL. If the team is full of real talents collected from the minor leagues then the professional hockey business will be better too. Nice that soon our home ice arena will be able to allow at least 3,000.00 fans( since April 5th). IMO, some players without fans are not having a lot of interest to play well on empty arena.

That makes me think how for example Greenway had reacted if his lackadaisical reaction to playing in Iowa after the Wild's season ended, would have been letting him start the next season in Iowa too. Would he have learned to compete, would he have not needed Guerin talking about his need to change his approach?