Comcast Out, ESPN and TNT in on NHL Broadcast Rights

Howie58

Greetings:

In case you haven't heard, NBC/Comcast is out, and ESPN and TNT will take its place.  

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-04-27/at-t-s-tnt-and-tbs-networks-to-air-nhl-games-in-seven-year-deal

From what I've read, the deal is a lot better than Comcast's final offer.  This is probably a good thing in terms of salary cap.  As a Flyers fan, I wonder what it means in terms of coverage (we were always given a lot of exposure)? I suspect we will be seeing less of Keith Jones and others nationally.

My vague memories of ESPN coverage were not very positive.  I was happy to see NBC return.  I think of TNT and basketball and canned, old programs--don't watch much TV period but they would be at the bottom of my list.  Bottom line--the Comcast-Flyers gig is ending nationally.  What the newbies bring will be anyone's guess. 

1 hour ago, Howie58 said:

My vague memories of ESPN coverage were not very positive.

I love Clement and Gary Thorne together back in the day.

I loved Dave Strader (R.I.P.) but I hated Melrose.

ESPN is clueless when it comes to NHL.

So they have to improve a lot.

3 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I love Clement and Gary Thorne together back in the day.

I loved Dave Strader (R.I.P.) but I hated Melrose.

"ESPN is clueless."

So they have to improve a lot.

FiFY!

:toast:

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

21 minutes ago, albertaflyer said:

Can they get Shaq and Barkley to do intermissions. I might not change the channel during intermissions. The NHL needs some guys that are entertaining like Basketball. 

It's true: I love hockey and the NHL product, but most of the broadcasts are as a dry as a popcorn fart.

• Like 2

On 4/30/2021 at 5:50 PM, JR Ewing said:

It's true: I love hockey and the NHL product, but most of the broadcasts are as a dry as a popcorn fart.

"Entertaining" leads to people like Don Cherry.... which leads to opinions that offend a small minority of people.... which leads to that person being fired.  As soon as they stick a person like a Jeremy Roenick in there, I'd give it two months before he said something that offended someone and then he's gone. There's way too much butthurt in the world today for people to be able to handle "entertaining".  I think robotic, monotonous, bland, and inhuman are the way forward.  

For me, I don't watch the intermissions at all. They've lost my views already.  If I had the ability to mute the color commentary I'd gladly do that too.

:) 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

For me, I don't watch the intermissions at all. They've lost my views already.  If I had the ability to mute the color commentary I'd gladly do that too.

Yeah, I don't watch the intermissions either. I only rarely view the games live now, and skip commercials breaks and intermissions.

• Like 2

On 5/1/2021 at 8:46 PM, WordsOfWisdom said:

"Entertaining" leads to people like Don Cherry.... which leads to opinions that offend a small minority of people.... which leads to that person being fired.  As soon as they stick a person like a Jeremy Roenick in there, I'd give it two months before he said something that offended someone and then he's gone. There's way too much butthurt in the world today for people to be able to handle "entertaining".  I think robotic, monotonous, bland, and inhuman are the way forward.  

Hey, look at that. You posted something I actually agree with

Miracles never cease...

• Like 1