Flyers targeting UFA's

CoachX

Seems like they should go ahead and try and lock up their own guys first.

Coots, Hart, Sanheim and Morin i would start with.

Nolan Patrick needs a new contract too but i guess that one could be the tricky one.

It would be nice to know what you have left to show with before going shopping i am done with the painting yourself into a corner like Holmgren use to do.

As of right now they have about 13 mill to do all that with.

So not very much in my mind to even get involved in the Hamilton sweeps.

It would help along ways if Seattle was to take one of them big money contracts off their hands.

Know the Flyers luck they just snag Robert Hagg for cheap (1.6 mill).

But they have to get to the salary cap floor depends on what other contracts they pick up.

Im hearing Ghost to Seattle. That would be a good move for us. I'd like to keep him, but his window closed

of the 26 names on this UFA list, I don't know a single one. I didn't bother to read the article. It required a free sign up and Im just too lazy. I spent enough time today just getting my SWA rapid rewards figured out

I wonder if we read tomorrow that someone is bought out. JAKE?

6 minutes ago, CoachX said:

Im hearing Ghost to Seattle.

I could see this too. I'd prefer a Jake or JVR selection but it may require a draft pick to make such a move happen. You'd also have to think Hakstol may have a huge say so in it too.

Fingers crossed that he loved Jake Voracek....

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

The Athletic is a step away in reporting integrity from Eklund and the National Enquirer. That being said, who are the 26 UFAs on their radar? Does it specify anyone?

There was an article by charlie o'connor listing the top f/a he thinks the team should pursue.

It's not reported as fact but does provide some insight to the market .

https://theathletic.com/2691502/2021/07/08/flyers-free-agency-26-pending-ufas-who-should-be-on-the-teams-radar/?amp#click=https://t.co/tQmLC3b4vq

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

There was an article by charlie o'connor listing the top f/a he thinks the team should pursue.

Due to the cap issues and guys needing new deals and knowing Chuckles love for Swedes here is the first big acquisition I feel in my gut...

• Like 1

I'd like to see Fletcher take a swing at Matt Calvert from the Avs.

He's coming off an injury, so there is a hope he could be cheap/er.

He reminds me of a bigger Yanni Gourde, he's got some nasty, skates well, can score and play up and down the lineup.

I know he's not "oooh shiny" but he's the kind of player the Flyers were missing this year.

I also saw that Conor Garland from the Coyotes is looking to get paid and he's another guy that every time I've seen him I've thought, I want that guy on my team. He plays hard for a little dude and will shoot the puck he's always around it doing good things.

There are opportunities to change the make up of the team. I hope Fletch and Flahr are knocking on all the doors.

On 7/8/2021 at 4:41 PM, OccamsRazor said:

I could see this too. I'd prefer a Jake or JVR selection but it may require a draft pick to make such a move happen. You'd also have to think Hakstol may have a huge say so in it too.

Fingers crossed that he loved Jake Voracek....

If  you believe Seattle likes Ghost and wants to pick him, then just trade him somewhere else and that forces Seattle to pick JVR or Jake , to me it’s a lot easier to trade Ghost than JVR or Jake. Or maybe tell Seattle you have a deal in place for Ghost with another team and if they really want him all they have to do is pick Jake and you will throw in Ghost.

49 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

that forces Seattle to pick JVR or Jake

Not really they could still opt for NAK or Hagg.

I wouldn't wait i would be shopping Jake and/or JVR to Arizona they have 30 mill in cap space.

Either one would look good on their 2nd line over Bunting or Garland.

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

I'd like to see Fletcher take a swing at Matt Calvert from the Avs.

How about Brandon Saad??? If they don't resign him.

Calvert in a Pitlick type role wouldn't be bad either.

Maybe it's just me, but if I'm the Flyers, I'm working more young forwards into the lineup. Friday, O'Brien and possibly Foerster are the three I'd be looking to add to the team. 

The biggest need right now is to fix the right side of the defense. Since Jones won't commit long term, he's out of the running. Hamilton would probably use the Flyers as leverage for a long term deal from Carolina.  So, make the deal for Ryan Ellis and then add a guy like Brandon Montour. You'd have:

Provorov - Ellis

Sanheim - Montour

*Ghost - Myers

Morin

*I don't think he's getting selected by Seattle and that JVR or Voracek is the player they take. 

It's not pretty, but it's effective. It's something that won't break the team and it's an interchangeable group of six. 

I get that people want to spend, but they need to be smart. I understand that a flat cap is in place for this upcoming season and next. After that is when things could get really ugly, because the NHL took a pounding this past year money wise and it's possible after these flat cap years that the cap will possibly go down and go down significantly. 

54 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

So, make the deal for Ryan Ellis

Wonder what the cost would be.

I can get behind Ellis and Montour.

I don't see Hagg is he headed to Nashville as part of the trade?

Patrick and Hagg for Ellis?

don't think he's getting selected by Seattle and that JVR or Voracek is the player they take

This is what I am hoping for.

I get that people want to spend

I'm not in that camp.

Especially with Hart and Sanheim needing new deals.

And Coots and Farabee up for new ones after this upcoming season.

They need to keep it manageable to keep this rebuild moving forward.

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

I don't see Hagg is he headed to Nashville as part of the trade?

Patrick and Hagg for Ellis?

This is what I am hoping for.

I just have Hagg gone. I don't have him as part of a package for Ellis. I think Ellis will probably be something like Patrick, Ratcliffe and a mid round pick. Nashville wants to free up money. 

If anything, I think Hagg ends up in Seattle as a future consideration deal for taking on the JVR/Voracek contract (some say that Haktard won't have a say on player acquisitions,  but that simply won't be true - every coach in the league has significant input as to what players are on their roster).

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I just have Hagg gone. I don't have him as part of a package for Ellis. I think Ellis will probably be something like Patrick, Ratcliffe and a mid round pick. Nashville wants to free up money. 

If anything, I think Hagg ends up in Seattle as a future consideration deal for taking on the JVR/Voracek contract (some say that Haktard won't have a say on player acquisitions,  but that simply won't be true - every coach in the league has significant input as to what players are on their roster).

I'm good with that.

I wonder what we can expect for Sanheim next deal he has arbitration rights now.

Could he price himself out of town and they plan on plugging York in to replace him?

Just now, OccamsRazor said:

I'm good with that.

I wonder what we can expect for Sanheim next deal he has arbitration rights now.

Could he price himself out of town and they plan on plugging York in to replace him?

It's possible. If that's the case, I'm wondering if Sanheim can be used to acquire a center prospect or a legitimate third line center. The good need is that there an embarrassment of riches in terms of defensive prospects, so while losing Sanheim might sting a little while York gets up to speed,  it's not crippling.

My only hope is that Fletcher doesn't panic this offseason and make moves just for the sake of making moves. And that's what concerns me, especially with Holmgren hovering over his shoulder. 

• Like 1

I seen this the other day and it had shades of Wentz and Eagles drafting Hurts and thought no way possible....right??

Then this today.

So i guess we'll see how this plays out. Maybe nothing to see here...

The UFA list this year is piss poor. The Flyers would be better off taking a step back and letting young players play and learn as they go. Bring in a veteran who can point things out here and there, but other than that, just let them play and let them take their lumps. That's the only way they're going to get better. And funny thing is, the young players could really end up surprising everyone of the coaching staff believes in them, and part of me thinks a guy like Therrien could care less about young players and only wants to cater to veterans.  

Maybe it's just me, but I see so many differing philosophies smart the coaching staff that is very easy to see how the message could be convoluted and how everyone kind of tunes out. Maybe this entire veteran coaching staff isn't conducive to developing and winning. 

This is a very huge year....if things go south this year we could see the Flyers pivot and make a historic trade at the deadline.

Could you imagine trading Giroux and Couturier before the deadline???

2022-23 lineup:

23 Oskar Lindblom -24 Morgan Frost - 17 Wade Allison
86 Joel Farabee - 12 Tanner Laczynski- 11 Travis Konecny
21 Scott Laughton - 22 Tyson Foerster - 18 Bobby Brink
14 Elliott Desnoyers - 19 Zayde Wisdom - 15 Connor McClennon

Coots traded to the Avs

Giroux traded to Edmonton

Hayes traded to the Blues

Patrick traded to the Predators

I can only imagine the haul they would have landed in these trades.....oh by the way don't wake me.

I know Morgan Frost as a top line center.

I haven't even got to the blueline yet.

1 minute ago, FD19372 said:

Whoa. When did that happen? My Zzzquil must have worked way better than I expected.

I guess you skimmed over the rest of the post so i will explain Morgan Frost came out like gang busters for the 2021-22 season and showed Chuckles he was ready and put on the needed muscle and well it blossomed from there....but the Zzzquil will help.

And the team decided now was the time to pull the plug on the core.

Jake was already traded the summer of 21-22 to Arizona and JVR was claimed by Seattle.

Are we up to speed yet??? Oh do i need to explain further this was a lucid dream...

:beer:

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

The UFA list this year is piss poor. The Flyers would be better off taking a step back and letting young players play and learn as they go. Bring in a veteran who can point things out here and there, but other than that, just let them play and let them take their lumps. That's the only way they're going to get better. And funny thing is, the young players could really end up surprising everyone of the coaching staff believes in them, and part of me thinks a guy like Therrien could care less about young players and only wants to cater to veterans.  

this sounds a little contradictory. If the Flyers think the coaching staff is sound, which they must becasue they haven't made any changes, then moving to all young players would not work out if one of the coaches "could care less" about those players. If you think having a coach who is good with veterans is the right move, then you don't go youth movement. You obviously have to bring in veterans to support the team's coaching philosophy

I don't see them making any moves behind the bench, but I do think we will see a significantly different lineup when the season starts. I guess we will see if your thoery is correct