Surgery now seems to be a sure thing for Jack Eichel

Buffalo Rick

The word is Eichel will need the surgery.  The question is whether he gets the disc replacement or the fusion.  I myself had this surgery at the C6/C7 level.  Though a neck injury, its part of the cervical spine. i believe his is at a higher level, closer to the neck.  Mine was in the upper back region.  The common one.  I had it fused, a bone fusion and recovered well.  But I was 39.  He is much younger and should be fine one would think.  But I would not want him playing until it were finished no matter what team he is on?  I personally do not want him traded.  Which means he likely will be.  IF Adams trades him then I doubt I will ever like Adams.  I will say given the arsenal of draft picks the Sabres now have, they should be set up for success at some point.  They seem to be fine with journeymen and Ullmark in the nets this year? Maybe until they really know if Luukenen or one of the other young guys is the answer?  if not, their is the draft next year and I believe they have 3 number ones.?

2 hours ago, Hockey Junkie said:

The word is Eichel will need the surgery.  The question is whether he gets the disc replacement or the fusion.  I myself had this surgery at the C6/C7 level.  Though a neck injury, its part of the cervical spine. i believe his is at a higher level, closer to the neck.  Mine was in the upper back region.  The common one.  I had it fused, a bone fusion and recovered well.  But I was 39.  He is much younger and should be fine one would think.  But I would not want him playing until it were finished no matter what team he is on?  I personally do not want him traded.  Which means he likely will be.  IF Adams trades him then I doubt I will ever like Adams.  I will say given the arsenal of draft picks the Sabres now have, they should be set up for success at some point.  They seem to be fine with journeymen and Ullmark in the nets this year? Maybe until they really know if Luukenen or one of the other young guys is the answer?  if not, their is the draft next year and I believe they have 3 number ones.?

Rumor has it he is wanting to go with disc replacement surgery still risky either one when is the big question...

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

Rumor has it he is wanting to go with disc replacement surgery still risky either one when is the big question...

It's not a rumor. His agent and personal doctor have outright said it.

The procedure has never been performed on an NHL player. That said, I don't get what the Sabres are trying to achieve here. According to his doctor, replacement surgery would sideline him for a much shorter period than the fusion and has fewer long term risks.

The fly in the ointment is that the CBA says the player must follow the direction of the club physician.

Which is kind of hard for me to believe is still in there, given the whole Lindros Situation where the club almost literally killed the player.

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

5 hours ago, Hockey Junkie said:

They seem to be fine with journeymen and Ullmark in the nets this year?

I hate to break this news to you, but Ullmark signed with Boston.   You have journeymen. Period.  And not good ones.

If I'm Adams, I'm on the phone with the Kraken trying to get Dreidger since they pretty much screwed him.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, radoran said:

The fly in the ointment is that the CBA says the player must follow the direction of the club physician.

Fact ? Or does Jack have the option to listen to a doctor of his choice...

If so, you'd would figure the team physician would do whatever it takes to get him on the ice as fast as possible regaurdless of the consequences...

8 minutes ago, Brewin Flames said:

Fact ? Or does Jack have the option to listen to a doctor of his choice...

That's the main issue according to what I've read. He actually wanted the replacement surgery earlier this year, when the team wanted him to get the fusion because he would probably be ready for the regular season. That's where things fell apart in the relationship.

All the reports also indicate that he's supposed to follow the club physician (I have not read the specific section of the CBA myself). Part of it, I think, is that the Club pays the medical bills.

9 minutes ago, Brewin Flames said:

If so, you'd would figure the team physician would do whatever it takes to get him on the ice as fast as possible regaurdless of the consequences...

I think the issue there is the whole "wants to be traded" thing and the potential value of a player undergoing a procedure no other player has had. His doctor points to successful applications in rugby and MMA.

The whole thing is a mess.

15 minutes ago, Icechipper said:

Does league allow trading damaged goods? Or is it buyer beware? Should the Wild acquire him, could it immediately place Eichel's contract on LTIR?

The league allows trading of guys who are on permanent LTIR.

Tampa just picked up Seabrook, for example. The Flyers once traded Chris Pronger to the Coyotes while he was working for the league...

There are a few issues with the off season cap and how and when players make it on to LTIR, but most teams have gotten through it.

All the reports also indicate that he's supposed to follow the club physician (I have not read the specific section of the CBA myself). Part of it, I think, is that the Club pays the medical bills.

I'm just thinking this out loud.   I'm just wondering how a CBA overrules workers' compensation law.  I didn't think the WC statutes were something you could sign away.  But now I have to go look.   Too exhausted at the moment.

2 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I'm just thinking this out loud.   I'm just wondering how a CBA overrules workers' compensation law.  I didn't think the WC statutes were something you could sign away.  But now I have to go look.   Too exhausted at the moment.

My first thought is that they aren't bound by the rules for the plebes...

There's also the little wrinkle about Canada and that Universal Health Care thing.

🤔

My first thought is that they aren't bound by the rules for the plebes...

There's also the little wrinkle about Canada and that Universal Health Care thing.

🤔

Yeah, I thought about the Canada thing, too.  I dunno.

On 8/3/2021 at 2:25 PM, ruxpin said:

I hate to break this news to you, but Ullmark signed with Boston.   You have journeymen. Period.  And not good ones.

If I'm Adams, I'm on the phone with the Kraken trying to get Dreidger since they pretty much screwed him.

Wow  I did not hear this.  What a dick head Adams is. I thought he was going to sign Ullmark.  I do not see Ullmark starting much in Boston.  Unless Rask is gone?  I cant keep up with who is where.  Dell is not terrible, like Hutton.  So I am really more concerned with the lineup

28 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Wow  I did not hear this.  What a dick head Adams is. I thought he was going to sign Ullmark.  I do not see Ullmark starting much in Boston.  Unless Rask is gone?  I cant keep up with who is where.  Dell is not terrible, like Hutton.  So I am really more concerned with the lineup

Rask is out until at least late season and possibly not returning.  He's currently not resigned, but he's injured and had surgery (torn labrum in hip).   I suspect he's not returning.

Ullmark is the starting goalie for Boston.

Very few goalies are as bad as Hutton.  Sadly, they tried to make a decent backup a starter.   They're about to do that with Dell.

2 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Rask is out until at least late season and possibly not returning.  He's currently not resigned, but he's injured and had surgery (torn labrum in hip).   I suspect he's not returning.

Ullmark is the starting goalie for Boston.

Very few goalies are as bad as Hutton.  Sadly, they tried to make a decent backup a starter.   They're about to do that with Dell.

What makes you think he will start over Anderson?  I say they alternate and do not count out one of those kids from Rochester getting a shot

22 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

What makes you think he will start over Anderson?  I say they alternate and do not count out one of those kids from Rochester getting a shot

I think ultimately, the Finn becomes the goalie, but my guess is they want him to stay in Rochester and play behind a defense.   No offense, but your defense is not what I want my kid starting behind.

Anderson is ancient and has not started.  He was the practice squad goalie with Washington last year and played four games. At 169 minutes, he didn't play 4 complete games, so I'm not sure whether he played in relief or was pulled or what (I think probably relief because his GAA doesn't reflect getting shelled in that time).    There's no good answer here and I have no idea what the Buffalo front office is thinking getting this pair.   I imagine they'll split pretty close to 50/50.   I like Anderson and hope he does well.   But "starting" 50+ games at this stage spells disaster.

I think you're probably on the right track with thinking it'll be a kid call up.  Anderson might be an insurance policy if Luukkonen isn't ready.  But I'm not sure what the plan is if they DO bring Luukkonen up because they have Toharski backing him up in Rochester.       All the goalies floating around and what they've done--from here on my couch--is bizarre.

(on the other hand, I'm not throwing stones.  All the goalies floating around and the Flyers signed Martin fricken Jones as backup).

Edited by ruxpin
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, ruxpin said:

I think ultimately, the Finn becomes the goalie, but my guess is they want him to stay in Rochester and play behind a defense.   No offense, but your defense is not what I want my kid starting behind.

Anderson is ancient and has not started.  He was the practice squad goalie with Washington last year and played four games. At 169 minutes, he didn't play 4 complete games, so I'm not sure whether he played in relief or was pulled or what (I think probably relief because his GAA doesn't reflect getting shelled in that time).    There's no good answer here and I have no idea what the Buffalo front office is thinking getting this pair.   I imagine they'll split pretty close to 50/50.   I like Anderson and hope he does well.   But "starting" 50+ games at this stage spells disaster.

I think you're probably on the right track with thinking it'll be a kid call up.  Anderson might be an insurance policy if Luukkonen isn't ready.  But I'm not sure what the plan is if they DO bring Luukkonen up because they have Toharski backing him up in Rochester.       All the goalies floating around and what they've done--from here on my couch--is bizarre.

(on the other hand, I'm not throwing stones.  All the goalies floating around and the Flyers signed Martin fricken Jones as backup).

Actually the other two kids, I think Houser was one, played pretty well down the stretch.  But I am not sure if they are in the plan?  If so, then why the pick ups?  Adams needs to fix the Eichel problem. Let him have the damn surgery.  Letting Reinhart go is the thing that burns my asss the most.  I mispelled that intentionally so it wont get bounced.  You know what I mean.  Too much moderation for an online sports forum.  Even if we did win the Risto deal,  it does not sit well with me.  This team is now in limbo.  The Bills own Buffalo once again.  We are loaded with draft picks so I guess that is the one positive.  But it does not help in the immediate.  Skinner must bounce back and I expect he will. He is a good player and proved that in Carolina before he came here.  Middlestadt looks real promising and Olofsson can score.  But I really do not know where he is going now that he traded Reinhart.  I do not like the guy very much right now.  Adams I mean.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Houser was one, played pretty well down the stretch.  But I am not sure if they are in the plan?

They announced a couple days ago that Houser resigned to return and will be back in Rochester to tandem with UPL. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Samifan said:

They announced a couple days ago that Houser resigned to return and will be back in Rochester to tandem with UPL. 

I hadn't seen that one.

Since I got vaccinated I get SiriusXM when I got the microchip upgrade.  But it doesn't work as well inside.  Plus, it occasionally switches to a recording of Susan Sarandon doing an oral interp of Das Kapital.   Besides disliking Susan for not trusting the sandwich, the real annoying part is I keep walking outside and catching it in the same spot. I'd really at least once like to hear it from the beginning.  I hate that. 

Anyway, when they reported on Houser I was either inside or hearing Susan.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

@ruxpinI’m jealous. Pfizer didn’t have the microchip available yet when I got vaccinated, since I was one of the first humans, right after they finished testing on the rabbits. 

Anyway here’s the link on Brick Houser signing an AHL deal with the bargain bin Sabres. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ruxpin said:

I hadn't seen that one.

Since I got vaccinated I get SiriusXM when I got the microchip upgrade.  But it doesn't work as well inside.  Plus, it occasionally switches to a recording of Susan Sarandon doing an oral interp of Das Kapital.   Besides disliking Susan for not trusting the sandwich, the real annoying part is I keep walking outside and catching it in the same spot. I'd really at least once like to hear it from the beginning.  I hate that. 

Anyway, when they reported on Houser I was either inside or hearing Susan.

Did you get the Phizer?