Flyers sign Derick Brassard

Samifan

12 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

Knows he doesn't have too many shots left and thinks this might be a good group.

Knows he doesn't have too many shots left and Fletchers the only one dumb enough to sign him is more like it. Plus he can feel more comfortable reporting to a team who already signed a bunch of guys even older and more washed up than he is.

Now...back to Farabee!

6 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Plus he can feel more comfortable reporting to a team who already signed a bunch of guys even older and more washed up than he is.

There are three guys older than him on the roster and two of them were signed this year (Thompson, Yandle).

Brassard at one year for $825K is the very definition of a "low risk" move. We can revisit that if AV starts vandevelding him, but a veteran with actual playoff experience in eight of the past nine years has value in that room.

I'd be upset if Brassard, Yandle, or Thompson had gotten a Jody Shelley type contract, but they're all on one year deals at a low cap number.

I honestly don't see the/a problem.

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

2 hours ago, radoran said:

I honestly don't see the/a problem

The signing itself isn't the problem.  The problem is if the staff (looking at you  AV) has fantasies of the old days and doesn't give one of the kids a legitimate chance.

I wouldn't personally have signed him for half of that because I don't think he has anything left, but happy to be wrong.  It's low risk in the short term unless someone with a brighter future gets moved as a result of "we have Brassard in the near term."

50 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

The signing itself isn't the problem.  The problem is if the staff (looking at you  AV) has fantasies of the old days and doesn't give one of the kids a legitimate chance.

I wouldn't personally have signed him for half of that because I don't think he has anything left, but happy to be wrong.  It's low risk in the short term unless someone with a brighter future gets moved as a result of "we have Brassard in the near term."

Yeah, if that happens, then I'll worry about it (like I said about AV vandevelding him).

If they move, say, Frost because they have Brassard then they're morons. If Frost (or Allison or whoever) plays themselves onto the roster and they decide to keep Brassard up, then they're morons.

Aside from the Senior Hockey Advisor(s), I don't necessarily think they're morons. It's a fluid situation, though...

From where I sit, Brassard and Thompson are low risk, security moves and should be seen and treated as such.

• Good Post 1

22 minutes ago, radoran said:

Aside from the Senior Hockey Advisor(s), I don't necessarily think they're morons. It's a fluid situation, though...

Best sentence this week and that includes the Billy Joel bit, which was great 

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1