Flyers sign Derick Brassard

Samifan

24 minutes ago, Samifan said:

Cheap insurance for depth at center. 

They were over the cap after re-signing Sanheim so who is leaving?

What is this?  Where is he going?   That's the 23rd roster spot, right?   Like you said, they're over, so... 

I know I keep getting told about west coast trips and stuff, but they're going to need to be under the cap and they're not.

I guess at this point Frost shouldn't bother?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

What is this?  Where is he going?   That's the 23rd roster spot, right?   Like you said, they're over, so... 

I know I keep getting told about west coast trips and stuff, but they're going to need to be under the cap and they're not.

I guess at this point Frost shouldn't bother?

I’m baffled. Doesn’t seem like any kids make the team this year other than Farabee and Allison?

• Like 1

Another useless old stiff to block a young guy from making the team.. If we were not over the cap and you sign a vet like Brassard as insurance if a young guy fails  to produce, then that's OK, but all this does is block Frost and Lacynski from making the team. Fletcher and Vigneault are desperate to save their jobs and have to make the playoffs , that's why they signed such stalwarts as Brassard and Yandle.  I cant wait to see which young player we give away to make the cap. I assume we will dump NAK or waive him and he will he claimed.

Edited by RonJeremy

https://www.nhl.com/flyers/news/flyers-sign-free-agent-forward-derick-brassard/c-326022478

I don't really get what this signing is meant to achieve, aside from some depth and a player that knows AV and knows his "system."

While Meltzer goes on to say that this likely means another move is in the offing, as there's not a path to fitting everyone under the cap at this point, capfriendly shows them with ~$380K in space with 13f, 7d, 2g.

I'm guessing that this and Thompson are "prove it" moves to some of the younger players to force their way onto the roster?

• Like 2
  • Good Post 1

7 minutes ago, radoran said:

https://www.nhl.com/flyers/news/flyers-sign-free-agent-forward-derick-brassard/c-326022478

I don't really get what this signing is meant to achieve, aside from some depth and a player that knows AV and knows his "system."

While Meltzer goes on to say that this likely means another move is in the offing, as there's not a path to fitting everyone under the cap at this point, capfriendly shows them with ~$380K in space with 13f, 7d, 2g.

I'm guessing that this and Thompson are "prove it" moves to some of the younger players to force their way onto the roster?

What happens with the cap if say Prospect X just wows them in camp and they waive Thompson or Brassard (just as an example)?   Are they still on the hook for the whole cap hit or just a portion?  I'm never sure how that part works.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, radoran said:

Yes i guess these two could be competing for the same slot.

I hope so. If so i guess why not competition is always welcome.

I hope all this leads me to buying the mid season package. Otherwise...

:PopcornSmiley2:

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Getting the band back together still.

Remember that 2014 Rangers team that bounced us in the first round and got to the Final and it was a "good sign" for the organization*?

Let's get them back together!

42 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

Another useless old stiff to block a young guy from making the team.. If we were not over the cap and you sign a vet like Brassard as insurance if a young guy fails  to produce, then that's OK, but all this does is block Frost and Lacynski from making the team.

When I see this I think, if this old stiff is keeping these young guys from making the team...then maybe these young guys aren't too good.

The other side of that coin is whiskey tango foxtrot with these old Ranger re-treads? Are they like a security blanky for AV?

I don't get this signing at all, maybe he makes camp more competitive and gets cut, or buried in the A or something like that. 

There already is a guy no one likes in this depth center role, why sign another?

Unless there is some behind the scenes stuff going on like, Frost's shoulder just fell off at his locker... or something.

@OccamsRazor you make a good point about maybe competition for the 13th forward slot, a highlander style tryout.

There Can Be Only One Highlander GIF

Edited by mojo1917
  • Good Post 1

16 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

What happens with the cap if say Prospect X just wows them in camp and they waive Thompson or Brassard (just as an example)?   Are they still on the hook for the whole cap hit or just a portion?  I'm never sure how that part works.

According to capfriendly, they could bury either of them in the AHL and get their full cap space.

• Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, radoran said:

Remember that 2014 Rangers team that bounced us in the first round and got to the Final and it was a "good sign" for the organization*?

Let's get them back together!

Hey i never ever once said it was a good thing....anywhere.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

When I see this I think, if this old stiff is keeping these young guys from making the team...then maybe these young guys aren't too good.

The other side of that coin is whiskey tango foxtrot with these old Ranger re-treads? Are they like a security blanky for AV?

I don't get this signing at all, maybe he makes camp more competitive and gets cut, or buried in the A or something like that. 

There already is a guy no one likes in this depth center role, why sign another?

Unless there is some behind the scenes stuff going on like, Frost's shoulder just fell off at his locker... or something.

@OccamsRazor you make a good point about maybe competition for the 13th forward slot, a highlander style tryout.

+A plus for the Highlander gif.

Panda calificación Mansedumbre there can only be one highlander gif  Kilimanjaro Tremendo inteligente

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

It's like when Hakstol kept playing Van de velde, some of these coaches just love their former layers no matter how washed up they are.

18 hours ago, pilldoc said:

Indifferent and confused by this move.

If Brassard can still be an effective player obviously a plus – my main issue though is does this move impact Morgan Frost. If Frost has a solid training camp again, even if he starts the season in LHV given he only played 2 games last season, does this move have any implications on Frost’s potential as 3C this season – assuming of course that Frost earns that spot. Understand that Brassard or Thompson not 3C candidates but based on current cap appears some cap juggling would be required even with Frost’s relatively low cap hit.

Also ...

1) If this leads to Thompson being in LHV (their cap hits differ by only $25K) I am fine with this, especially if Brassard is the 13th forward.

2) If this leads to both Thompson and Brassard being among the 13 roster forwards I am definitely not fine with this.

3) If this leads to both Thompson and Brassard being in the starting lineup, I want CF fired immediately

seriously dude, what is your issue with having vets? all the great gms in nhl dont rely on youth especially if they cant play. look at redwings, steve y brought in a ton on vets, he's a bad gm?  lou brought in vets for the islanders, he's bad gm too because they wont play youth? are you telling me you would rather suck and force youth on this team because you dont like vets?

6 minutes ago, tucson83 said:

are you telling me you would rather suck and force youth on this team because you dont like vets?

Not going to speak for @pilldoc but from my chair, bringing in a guy whose best days are clearly in the rear-view, who doesn't have a lot of speed and has been scuffling around the NHL (5 teams in 6 years) when the team is already over the salary cap doesn't scream plan the parade to me. 

I understand the rationale, getting some guys that know how AV wants to play and have been successful doing it seems wise. As does not relying on all the young guys to step forward in their development- that turned into a **** show real quick last season.

Making camp competitive and having a fallback option in case a guy (Frost) isn't ready shows me Fletcher has learned from his mistakes last season.

It's a late signing of a guy who is not going to improve, who plays a position that is in question. It is a little weird.

I feel like Brassard was never the answer, will never be the answer so wtf ? 

If as @OccamsRazor says and he winds up as our 13th forward instead of Nate Thompson then that's fine.

I'm not one bit hopeful about a team that will ice both those players to play an important role for any significant amount of time. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, tucson83 said:

seriously dude, what is your issue with having vets? all the great gms in nhl dont rely on youth especially if they cant play. look at redwings, steve y brought in a ton on vets, he's a bad gm?  lou brought in vets for the islanders, he's bad gm too because they wont play youth? are you telling me you would rather suck and force youth on this team because you dont like vets?

First of all lets make one thing clear.  I don't have an issue with Vets (plural) when they bring something to the table.  I have a problem with this Vet (singular) as Brassard's best days are behind him.  @mojo1917 stole most of my thunder with his post. 

Let me ask you this ...Does Brassard make this team a SC contender?  I will make it easy on you.  No he does not.  Matter of fact this team as assembled is barely a playoff contender.   Many on this board have bitched and moaned that the younger players never get a chance to develop.  Now there is opportunity for Frost to get meaningful minutes and he may be potentially blocked because of Thompson and Brassard.

Go back and reread my post for comprehension ....

22 hours ago, pilldoc said:

1) If this leads to Thompson being in LHV (their cap hits differ by only $25K) I am fine with this, especially if Brassard is the 13th forward.

I am clearly OK with this as long as this leads to Thompson being in LHV (hence the bolded part)

2) If this leads to both Thompson and Brassard being among the 13 roster forwards I am definitely not fine with this.

There is no way I want BOTH Thompson and Brassard on this team. 

3) If this leads to both Thompson and Brassard being in the starting lineup, I want CF fired immediately

This team is in serious trouble if both of the players are starters. 

4 hours ago, tucson83 said:

would rather suck and force youth on this tea

You do realize that the youngest player on the team is Farabee at 21.  Frost would be the 2nd youngest at 22.  Konecy is 24 but already in his 6th year.  Every other player is 25 or above.  Not exactly all youth.  They all should be NHL ready by now.  If not time to ship them out.

Riddle me this ...if Brassard is such a great Vet presence why is he going to his 7 or 8 team in 4 years??? Inquiring minds want to know.

I stand by my post .... take it or leave it.

Edited by pilldoc
  • Like 3