2021 Training Camp and "new team"

MaineFlyFan

22 minutes ago, MaineFlyFan said:

I'm just really excited to see how this all plays out this year.

I have to say i am too. Great post too. I am nervous about all the new additions.

To me the biggest key is the goalies and the defense and how they mesh.

Especially when we think about Martin Jones and how his presence will go.

When you look at the number Jones was the best goalie at even strength glancing at Hart, Elliott and Jones stats.

Jones 904%

Hart 889%

Elliott 892%

So it seems Hart just needs his confidence back to maybe pick these numbers up.

Sure easier said than done but i hope the new guys Ellis, Yandle and Risto can help them retain the puck more and get the puck transitioned out of the defensive zone up to the forward and out to start the transition to offense and back in attack mode.

But will they??? The part none of us know now.

So i think the big improvement will need to come on special teams as well.

The PK looks like the weakest link.

Hart 913% not too shabby with the suspect blueline in front of him and Elliott was 889% which is about the same as when he was even strength not impressive at all.

And Jones was an impressive 935% short handed. So this could very well be an upgrade. I know that is hard to believe. We'll see.

So the strange part is the number on the power play you know when you have an extra skater.

Hart 777%

Elliott 865%

Jones 833%

So as we glance at these numbers it tells the let down in a nut shell was when they were on the power play by a huge margin. None of those numbers are impressive at all.

Very scary so in my mind the new guys like Ellis, Yandle and Risto can help with keeping the puck in the offensive zone and out the defensive zone and most importantly out the net.

So the big question can all the new additions help get this putrid power play playing at least like a top 10 unit....and by that i mean help score some goals and ease the burden through out the whole game.

Bottom line they need to find a way to make the other team pay and fear to actually go to the box and that will change how teams play vs the Flyers.

I sure hope it all helps but every other team they need to face made changes too so who made the right changes will be what matters most.

Wins is all that matters making the playoffs is all that matters...and most importantly any season that doesn't end in a Cup win will be a disappointment.

I have faith it will be turned around until well they show me it hasn't. The addition by subtraction of Jake Voracek to me is the best move made all offseason...

:PopcornSmiley2:

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

I'll assume Jones will give us an .896 save percentage.

As i just posted you have to give the guy props for his even strength of 935%.

The problem with him and maybe the team in front of him at the time was the power play 833% is not going to cut it.

His short handed numbers aren't that bad either. 904% is very respectable and yes needs to be better too.

So to me we don't want him to be playing too much and the biggest thing is Carter Hart rebounding.

His 777% power play numbers were Bryzgalov bad....so the key is Cart Hart.

They will go as far as he takes them. He will give this team the confidence it sorely lacked.

If not this could be a very bad and long season. I hate putting the pressure on a young kid but well it is what it is.

A few guys who will be playing for their next contracts i expect to show up and earn new ones are Frost, NAK and most importantly Risto.

Pressure is on everyone.

Will it burst pipes or make diamonds...

:beer:

• Like 1

I expect this guy to at least help the power play.

If not yes Chuckles will more than likely move him to a team needing some vet defensive help.

Is it possible that if this guy has a huge season he could still decide to test the market in the offseason???

But they don't need a bad season from him to keep his resigning price tag down.

Worse case maybe they can move JVR next offseason to help resign Risto...which i hope is a good problem to have wondering what he wants.

Would he expect a Seth Jones type deal??? 9 mill??

Or a team friendly Parayko type deal?? 6.5 mill per??? I guess we'll know more by 2022 gets here.

53 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

So the strange part is the number on the power play you know when you have an extra skater.

Hart 777%

Elliott 865%

Jones 833%

is this save percentage?

It's not terribly strange to me that the shorthanded SV% is worse than full strength.  Often the shots faced shorthanded are from breakaways or 2 on 1 attempts where something broke down at the blueline on the opposite end.   Or a situation where people are back but scrambling and in disarray following the 2v1, etc. from the breakdown at the other end.

The other thing I'd say about the stats is that unlike Hart & Elliott, Jones's crap numbers were not an aberration but rather the third consecutive year of "OMG why are they still playing him???"

That said, I'm scared but optimistic he'll thrive with the change and the PT status.   If something happens to Hart and he's starting all or the bulk, turn out the lights and go home.

19 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

is this save percentage?

It's not terribly strange to me that the shorthanded SV% is worse than full strength. 

No this is on the power play not shorthanded.

Hart 777%

Elliott 865%

Jones 833%

Which is unacceptable when you have an extra guy.

Yeah re reading my post I may have confused some my bad.

Power play is the weak link.

Edited by OccamsRazor
#boubonup

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

No this is on the power play not shorthanded.

Hart 777%

Elliott 865%

Jones 833%

Which is unacceptable when you have an extra guy.

Yeah re reading my post I may have confused some my bad.

Power play is the weak link.

Sorry, I miswrote it.  I meant the powerplay.   I'm the one that confused you.   

We agree the power play is [a] weak link.   But I wonder what that looks like across the board with other team's goalies.  Teams with really strong PPs not so much, but generally speaking the goalie's save percentage will tend to be lower on the power play because many of the shots are on the breakaway or 2-1, etc., stemming from a breakdown or errant/intercepted on the other end.  A fall at the blueline, etc.  

Or in the aftermath as people get back following the save on the breakaway, etc. but are a scattershot, incoherent mess after rushing back to the D-end.

None of this is meant to excuse the power play.  It's bad.   Challenged in ineptness only by our penalty kill.   Just saying I'm not shocked overall that the numbers are lower than other situations.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

Jones's crap numbers were not an aberration but rather the third consecutive year of "OMG why are they still playing him???"

A question I have about Jones' numbers is how much of that .896 is a reflection of the Sharks slowly circling the drain?

Were they bad because he ruined everything, was their suckitude symbiotic, or was the team terrible and he was looking at 15 to 20 grade A scoring chances against  nightly?

That team has been on a decent since the finals loss to the Pens.

I wonder  if the team's collective malaise effected MJ.

He was good for a minute. 

Could be a chicken or egg scenario. 

That said I'm glad he's not option A.

2 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Hopefully Hayes and Atkinson can play some inspired hockey.

Dammit! Knew I was forgetting someone!

Atkinson! (JVR would of never made the "depth" conversation had I simply remembered Atkinson!)

I agree, get what you can for JVR if he plays well early!

I'm interested in your distaste for Yandle. He's an Ironman. Never misses a game. Veteran with a cup. I would think his presence alone might inspire? Is he an asshole or something?! ;)

Thanks for playing along!

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

So i think the big improvement will need to come on special teams as well.

The PK looks like the weakest link.

Great Point!

Is Lappy still in charge of that  mess? I hope we get a little more creative on the ol PP too!...I remember a lot of "pass the puck" last year and very few quality chances/shots.

At least Jake won't be out there stinking it up!! ;)

I'm cautiously optimistic about this year's team.

I do think all the guys that sucked last year bounce back, even if they don't bounce all the way back, I don't see them playing to their 2020/21 level.

Hayes was hurt, so was Couturier, Konecny actually produced some but he wasn't a player that needed game planned for. Oscar has a year to get his muscle mass and timing back. Last year was a perfect **** storm of a year. 

Reverting to the mean will be an improvement. 

I can't help but think having a top pair RHD will make the team better, that was missing last year so, having a legit top 4 in the league guy at that position over pick a stiff from 2020/21 will be a dramatic improvement. I think Ristonlainen could play to a pre-smashed face Brayden Coburn level, if he does...that's  going to be good and fun to watch.

I can't help but think Cam Atkinson shooting the puck will result in more goals than Jake Voracek turning it over every 4th time in the O zone.

Hayes will be healthy and he may struggle for a little, but if he's not injured he'll be good on the PK, he'll be good in  OTs...I think he'll be more like 19/20 Hayes than 20/21.

I cannot help but think this team will be better than the pu-pu platter we iced last season. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MaineFlyFan said:

Is Lappy still in charge of that  mess?

No he's the head coach at Lehigh Valley. 

He's going to get them playing the AV structure and focus on developing players. 

I actually think he'll be decent in this role. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Were they bad because he ruined everything

Can't be and put up a 935% with basically the 14th rated PK.

Pretty much almost all the top 10 PK team made the playoffs...except the Kings and Rangers.

The goalie to me seems to be the difference see the Flyers 2nd to last ranked PK because their goalies were down right bad.

This isn't to say that Jones doesn't share some blame because he does.

But as i say a 904% isn't that bad 5 on 5 on that team...but his 833% on the power play is damning and sounds like they suffered from the same issues plaguing the Flyers they just failed to execute on the PP....and the goalie didn't help much to give them a chance.

But only two goalies were worse than Hart 5 on 5 Quick and Holtby. Not good company.

5 on 5 Jones was 10th in the NHL. And 10th most shots/60 with 31.5.

So long story short the Flyers are going to need much better goaltending than they have been getting we can agree no matter the stats.

:PopcornSmiley2:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MaineFlyFan said:

I'm interested in your distaste for Yandle. He's an Ironman. Never misses a game. Veteran with a cup. I would think his presence alone might inspire? Is he an asshole or something?! ;)

Thanks for playing along!

I've just always thought defencemen should be able to play....defence.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

A question I have about Jones' numbers is how much of that .896 is a reflection of the Sharks slowly circling the drain?

Were they bad because he ruined everything, was their suckitude symbiotic, or was the team terrible and he was looking at 15 to 20 grade A scoring chances against  nightly?

I think it's a big heaping helping of both.   I'm with you on chicken/egg.  I'm not sure which precipitated which but it's certainly became a circular thing.

So, I'm hopeful that the change, reuniting with old coach, and part-time turns things around for him.  I don't watch enough Sharks hockey to have had eyes on him to know whether he's slowed down or he got positionally screwed up or if it was mental.  If he's just slowed, that might be a problem but maybe could be compensated for.   The rest could be a reason for optimism.

• Like 2

LW C RW Forwards
Claude Giroux
CLAUDE GIROUX

Rating: 77.8#9 LW

Sean Couturier
SEAN COUTURIER

Rating: 78.6#12 C

Travis Konecny
TRAVIS KONECNY

Rating: 76.5#20 RW

FL1 Rating
Rating: 77.66#4 FL1
Joel Farabee
JOEL FARABEE

Rating: 72.4#63 LW

Kevin Hayes
KEVIN HAYES

Rating: 75.4#31 C

Cam Atkinson
CAM ATKINSON

Rating: 75.3#28 RW

FL2 Rating
Rating: 74.36#19 FL2
Scott Laughton
SCOTT LAUGHTON

Rating: 72.5#58 LW

Derick Brassard
DERICK BRASSARD

Rating: 69.7#136 C

James van Riemsdyk
JAMES VAN RIEMSDYK

Rating: 74.9#28 RW

FL3 Rating
Rating: 72.39#8 FL3
Oskar Lindblom
OSKAR LINDBLOM

Rating: 72.8#50 LW

Nate Thompson
NATE THOMPSON

Rating: 69.4#145 C

Nicolas Aube-Kubel
NICOLAS AUBE-KUBEL

Rating: 72.6#67 RW

FL4 Rating
Rating: 71.59#6 FL4
DEFENSIVE PAIRINGS Defense
Ivan Provorov
IVAN PROVOROV

Rating: 76.3#8 LD

Ryan Ellis
RYAN ELLIS

Rating: 77.0#9 RD

DL1 Rating
Rating: 76.62#3 DL1
Travis Sanheim
TRAVIS SANHEIM

Rating: 74.8#20 LD

Rasmus Ristolainen
RASMUS RISTOLAINEN

Rating: 73.0#40 RD

DL2 Rating
Rating: 73.92#11 DL2
Keith Yandle
KEITH YANDLE

Rating: 73.5#43 LD

Justin Braun
JUSTIN BRAUN

Rating: 71.8#68 RD

DL3 Rating
Rating: 72.63#8 DL3

GOALIES
Carter Hart
CARTER HART

Rating: 71.6#11 G1

Martin Jones
MARTIN JONES

Rating: 62.4#64 G2

So what we are looking at till someone steal a spot.