Minnesota Wild @ Colorado Avalanche, Saturday 10-30-21, 8:00pm, Pepsi Center

MNSOTA

I think we should not take Talbot out of the net at the end of the game when we play against Colorado. IMO, we tried to be competitive tonight. We made 30 vs their 31 shots. Last season, if I remember, they were able to make more than 40 shots towards our net vs our about 15 shots. This loss was expected/predicted but was not too bad. I am not sure if Zuccarello would help if he was healthy for this game. Greenway definitely will not help. He was invisible for the last 6 games. And I am happy, that Evason was not afraid to bring youngsters for tonight game and tried to use them in different lines with different players.

Not a bad effort by the boys, but a clear loss anyways. To me the turning point of this match was right after Hartman's goal. MacKinnon mauled Brodin on the ice and passed the puck to Eric Johnson for the winning goal. Sheer will power. That's what missing from the Wild right now. We don't see our star players Kap and to a lesser degree Fiala taking reins and turning the game around single-handedly. Kap doesn't look like he did last season, and I think Fiala is starting to get frustrated by the lack of goals from all those nice opportunities he gets.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, lynxrattle said:

Not a bad effort by the boys, but a clear loss anyways. To me the turning point of this match was right after Hartman's goal. MacKinnon mauled Brodin on the ice and passed the puck to Eric Johnson for the winning goal. Sheer will power. That's what missing from the Wild right now. We don't see our star players Kap and to a lesser degree Fiala taking reins and turning the game around single-handedly. Kap doesn't look like he did last season, and I think Fiala is starting to get frustrated by the lack of goals from all those nice opportunities he gets.

Agree.

Overall, I believe the Wild were "game"....but that simply wasn't enough.
Putting aside some very atrocious calls against Minnesota, overall, yea, the Avs just seemed to want it a bit more...even so far as to push the envelope by some of their players as to what is acceptable on the ice.

As for Kaprizov, well, unless the Wild can get consistent contributions from elsewhere on the team, he better get used to other teams focusing on him (Fiala and Zuc too) and bascially telling Minnesota "These players aren't gonna beat us...if you want to beat us, one of your plugs are gonna have to do it".

Steve Yzerman saw that treatment as a player when the Wings were still trying to get good, Lecavalier and Stamkos saw that with the Lightning in the same situations....hell, Connor McDavid and Leon Draisaitl have been seeing that the last several seasons too!

Not much in the way of support scoring, so teams focus on the most dangerous threat, neutralize it, and star players like Kap and to a lesser degree Zuc and Fiala, won't see NEARLY the amount of good chances they were used to seeing.

There is still something to be said for hard work in all phases of the game and in all parts of the ice, and when this current Wild group puts in the big efforts, they can be quite competitive.
But mistakes will often cost this team dearly.

They just don't have enough high end talent throughout the lineup at the moment to cover up mistakes most of the time.

Avs made plenty of mistakes of their own this game.
Which is why I still don't believe they are quite Cup ready despite their top end talent.
But Minnesota, at least tonight, was NOT the team to capitalize on those mistakes and make Colorado pay..... well, Hartman did it once, though obviously that was far from being enough!

• Like 2

Better Effort but the same result in 4-1 loss to Colorado

It was a better effort, but to be honest they set the bar pretty low after Seattle.  Just about anything would've been better.  Jordie Benn not having to play was a good thing and Kulikov being back I thought helped a lot.  Beckman looked excited and assertive.  Wish I could say the same for Fiala who seems to have his bags packed and just hoping to be traded.  

IMO, even with the injuries and Covid...this team showed us who they really are this weekend.  Especially if not everyone is pulling in the same direction.  I thought Talbot and Hartman were the few players who played well in both games.  

Can anyone tell me how Duhaime and MacKinnon were not in a fight?  Gloves were dropped...punches thrown and clearly Duhaime was in complete control but it was just roughing?!?!  Uh huh.  

Anyways, I talk about the younger players, and have a where are they now that might interest some people and prospect news too!  Check it out!  

• Like 2