In regards to Ryan Ellis....

FD19372

Is it too early to conclude that we received damaged goods from the Nashville Predators? I mean...we gave them damaged goods in Nolan Patrick, but Ellis has only played in four games this season. In addition, we gave up a decent player in Myers, who is on Nashville's third defense pairing but Myers is still productive for them. He's making 6.25 AAV for six years including this one. I'm very concerned about Ellis, plus the fact that I'm not sure I would trust the Flyers medical staff with something so simple as bandaging a minor cut.

Edited by FD19372

• FD19372 changed the title to In regards to Ryan Ellis....

I do think it's too early to tell and it doesn't really appear that he had the injury before the trade. He had an "upper body" last season and missed some time following a knee surgery, so I don't know that this is related to an "injury history."

But hip/groin things can be a real nagging problem. I would take him off "week to week" and put him on "fix the bloody thing before coming back again". I would rather have a "fixed" Ryan Ellis in the stretch run than a gimpy Ryan Ellis in December.

I know "players want to play" but they aren't helping anybody if they're pushing to come back and immediately leave again.

• Like 3
  • Good Post 1

Entirely predictable. He's been in the league since 2011-12 and played all 82 just once. To be fair he had a 79 and an 80 in there too. His average over 10 seasons is 56.2 games/year.

He's now 31 and on the downside of his career..but the Flyers got him for SIX more years. yeh yeah they kept the cap hit manageable - big deal. It was a bad trade for the Flyers and good for the Predators.

[edit: and gave up a smooth-skating, big, talented (and young) D-man in the process. Myers may turn out to be a big nothing but he's got the natural ability to be an absolute stud. We'll see...]

Edited by GratefulFlyers

2 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Ellis out 4-6 weeks...

https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/ryan-ellis-will-miss-4-to-6-weeks-with-a-lower-body-injury/

Can't say I'm surprised. Fletched again.

That's too bad; not what I was hoping to hear, both for player and team. I've always liked Ellis, and had always hoped the Oilers could find a way to pry him out of Nashville.