Giroux Trade Talk

elmatus

3 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Can't do that i think they are projected to only have about 2.8 mill in cap space at the deadline unless they free up more by then.

I would hate to be stuck with Jost. How many underachieving players can one team endure . 

17 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

I would hate to be stuck with Jost. How many underachieving players can one team endure . 

But in fairness, is it possible he might be underachieving because they don't have a specific role for him? Don't forget, John LeClair was also considered an underachiever before he was traded to Philadelphia. I'm not saying that Jost will be that incarnation, but if the Flyers find that young, this one guy capable of getting 15 to 20 goals and 35 to 40 points a season and play the pk exclusively, that might be a win, especially if that means that they can flip someone like Laughton for some assets (I'd say that Laughton and Jost are similar players). Now, I don't think Schmuck is smart enough to do something like that, but there's always a chance he has a moment of clarity, no matter how fleeting it is.

15 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

But in fairness, is it possible he might be underachieving because they don't have a specific role for him? Don't forget, John LeClair was also considered an underachiever before he was traded to Philadelphia. I'm not saying that Jost will be that incarnation, but if the Flyers find that young, this one guy capable of getting 15 to 20 goals and 35 to 40 points a season and play the pk exclusively, that might be a win, especially if that means that they can flip someone like Laughton for some assets (I'd say that Laughton and Jost are similar players). Now, I don't think Schmuck is smart enough to do something like that, but there's always a chance he has a moment of clarity, no matter how fleeting it is.

I'm not sure if Jost was misused or what. The thing that worries me is he scored 12 goals as a rookie and each year since over 5 seasons ,his production has dropped.  

7 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

I'm not sure if Jost was misused or what. The thing that worries me is he scored 12 goals as a rookie and each year since over 5 seasons ,his production has dropped.  

2016 was an underwhelming draft.

There's no forward taken after him with more goals (44). Chuchryn on D has 48. Luke Kunin has 43 in about 100 fewer games.

Jost is playing 4th line center according to daily faceoff. His linemates are Helm and NAK. I don't think you're going to see a lot of production from that line...

He shouldn't be a centerpiece of a trade, but as a $2M RFA salary dump that's getting you some better assets in addition, there are worse things to get.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, radoran said:

2016 was an underwhelming draft.

There's no forward taken after him with more goals (44). Chuchryn on D has 48. Luke Kunin has 43 in about 100 fewer games.

Jost is playing 4th line center according to daily faceoff. His linemates are Helm and NAK. I don't think you're going to see a lot of production from that line...

He shouldn't be a centerpiece of a trade, but as a $2M RFA salary dump that's getting you some better assets in addition, there are worse things to get.

As long as we get Baron, he can take Ristos spot. I don't think we can get Byram or Newhook. So Baron,Jost and one more prospect. 

12 minutes ago, radoran said:

Jost has one more year 2022-23 at 2 mill though.

4 minutes ago, radoran said:

That's not a number that kills your cap, though...

Yes and you're trying to move your own dead weight while also filling out your roster next season so the kids have someone they need to beat out and yes that cap hit isn't crippling and not bad if he ends up on the 4th line.

I have no problem with it maybe it keeps them from bringing a Thompson back.

A win win.

10 minutes ago, radoran said:

That's not a number that kills your cap, though...

So from reports Bill Guerin loves Claude Giroux so I guess the more the suitors the better plus the Wild don't want to have to face an already formidable Avs team that adds Giroux...

8 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I have no problem with it maybe it keeps them from bringing a Thompson back.

If Thompson, Brassard, Yandle, and the rest of the Over The Hill Gang are back next year, they've got real problems...

Those guys were supposed to be support for AV...

Jason Bateman Cotton GIF

• Good Post 1

5 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

So from reports Bill Guerin loves Claude Giroux so I guess the more the suitors the better plus the Wild don't want to have to face an already formidable Avs team that adds Giroux...

Of COL, STL, and MIN, I've been of the opinion that Minny is the most likely.

They have space and wouldn't need to affect the current roster. They have draft picks.

Marco Rossi, a 1st and a 3rd?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Yes I heard the Wild also are interested.  I wish we could get Boldy, but that's not happening.  I wanted him in the draft, he was just what we needed, a big scoring left wing and we could have had him, but we traded back and drafted York. York looks pretty good so far but Boldy has 7g and 7a in 14 games as a rookie. 

5 minutes ago, radoran said:

They have space and wouldn't need to affect the current roster. They have draft picks.

They also have Addison and Lambos , two good young defensemen. If Colorado and Minnesota get in a bidding war this could help us.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, radoran said:

I'm good with that. This should stoke the Wild fans on this board on the surface in not a good way but till you see the results well hard to judge but you'd have to think in an arms race you'd rather have Giroux on your team than have to play against him.

We'll have to see what the fans think...

57 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

They also have Addison and Lambos , two good young defensemen. If Colorado and Minnesota get in a bidding war this could help us.

And the loser having to settle for Pavelski. Which isn't a bad consolation prize....

Edited by OccamsRazor

29 minutes ago, radoran said:

I'm a die hard Ottawa 67s fan and Rossi would be mint. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

If anyone can crack the code of an underachieving player I have full confidence that the super developers known as Flyer management can do it!

• Good Post 1

Just now, flyercanuck said:

I'd be fine with that. The problem is, Fletcher is our GM now, not theirs.

Yeah, I was just spitballing for discussion. Probably "too much".

Just looking at where the Wild will be over the next few years as they dig out from the Parise/Suter buyouts, this could be one of their best chances.

I don't think Giroux is that big of a difference maker for them, but if Guerin does...

To your point, they're more like to wind up with Victor Rask, a 1st, a 3rd and Damien Giroux...

• Like 1
  • Annoyed 1

11 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

If anyone can crack the code of an underachieving player I have full confidence that the super developers known as Flyer management can do it!

They can have the Anthony Robbins of the Flyers, JVR motivate him.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, radoran said:

Yeah, I was just spitballing for discussion. Probably "too much".

Just looking at where the Wild will be over the next few years as they dig out from the Parise/Suter buyouts, this could be one of their best chances.

I don't think Giroux is that big of a difference maker for them, but if Guerin does...

To your point, they're more like to wind up with Victor Rask, a 1st, a 3rd and Damien Giroux...

So far other than McEwen all of Fletchers moves have failed. Just by the law of averages he has to make one good deal. He hasn't done bad in the draft..York, Brink, Foerester and some late picks like Attard, Desoyners and a few others look good...

5 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

So far other than McEwen

MacEwan was a waiver pickup.

Atkinson is on pace for 29 goals this season, which isn't chopped liver. Voracek has two. I'll take that as an upgrade for the moment.

The Ellis deal has five more years on it. IMO, too early to call.

Brassard/Thompson/Yanlde were never supposed to be big moves.

Ristolainen I still don't get.

But, for that matter, I don't think that the law of averages applies here. :hocky:

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

So far other than McEwen all of Fletchers moves have failed. Just by the law of averages he has to make one good deal. He hasn't done bad in the draft..York, Brink, Foerester and some late picks like Attard, Desoyners and a few others look good...

Not sure I'd agree with that. I don't hate York or anything but could have taken Newhook, and Krebs could end up being even better. Honestly, I can't think of a single trade/signing/pick where I see Fletcher as a clear winner, aside from maybe snapping up McEwen for nothing but really, that's not very significant really. 

For  a bad hockey team we do not have a stocked prospect cupboard or wealth of picks coming, just the opposite. On this track, Arizona will pass us in a couple years. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, radoran said:

It had to be because he is a right hand shot who is physical in his own end...but after seeing him play that is about it not sure WTF they saw either but i'm on record as giving them the benefit doubt before i rushed to judge and well they got straight bent over....best thing they can do is get the skate sharpener for him and move if they do that well i will chalk it up to trying...but if they do like they did with Mcdud well i will lose my sh it...

MacEwan was a waiver pickup.

Atkinson is on pace for 29 goals this season, which isn't chopped liver. Voracek has two. I'll take that as an upgrade for the moment.

With the team rolling along the way it is, you have to judge part of that trade with the two extra years of term we took on. I agree, for the moment it is an upgrade. One that hasn't helped us one bit. And could become a real hinderance. To go along with all the other ones we already have.

The Ellis deal has five more years on it. IMO, too early to call.

True. But again, for the moment it looks terrible. And could be yet another to throw on the logjam of bad contracts we're stuck with. Time will tell.

Brassard/Thompson/Yanlde were never supposed to be big moves.

But, for that matter, I don't think that the law of averages applies here. :hocky: