Minnesota Wild @ New York Islanders, Sunday 1-30-22, 6:30pm, UBS Arena

MNSOTA

2 minutes ago, EmptyShelf said:

We are getting utterly BOMBED on shots.  Kahk is keeping us alive

And Kahkonen kept us to the Wild WIN, by stopping 40 shots out of their 43 shots.  Hero #1 for this game. They badly limited us with shots too. We were able to place only 21 shots during this game. And I think our entire team's defense was outstanding too.

3 hours ago, ClusterChuck said:

Lights are set 😁... Hopefully the Wild are still in their New York Groove.
Was going to say 4-2 but I'll go Wild win 5-2 with an ENG.

Sadly, we were not able to place an ENG, but even without that goal you, Lynxrattle and Wildstars95 are the winners in predicting our win in regulation with the right amount of goals(4) in the opposite net. 👍😁

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Alexandron said:

Sadly, we were not able to place an ENG, but even without that goal you, Lynxrattle and Wildstars95 are the winners in predicting our win in regulation with the right amount of goals(4) in the opposite net. 👍😁

It was looking good for my '5' and the ENG until that weak penalty on Zucc. ;) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Alexandron said:

Every game I like his play more and more. Very smart player, like he is playing in chess. 

He is pulling close to Hughes and ahead of Caulfield (his NDTP line-mates) in value to his team.  What happened to the 'he doesn't skate well enough garbage?'  From my experience, some players can compensate for an average or weaker skill with premier skills in another facet.  Clearly, Boldy's play-making, IQ, hands, and quick shot supersede any skating shortcoming to this point.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, ClusterChuck said:

It was looking good for my '5' and the ENG until that weak penalty on Zucc. ;) 

We had few chances to place the ENG, but they were lucky to block them plus they created a lot of pressure too, especially, during the last 2 minutes of the game. Then we were lucky too to steal that game (they outshot us twice more 43 vs our 21 shots). I think, in general, NY Islanders is a difficult team to play against, especially if they get in playoffs. I am glad we were able to win as well as to get some experience out of this not an easy game.

Wild Extend Winning Streak to 5 Games in 4-3 Victory Over the Islanders

It wasn't the prettiest game but they found a way to get it done.  Kahkonen looked good, even with Talbot there on the bench which should make the coaching staff take notice that he's still confident.  Duhaime looked good as Foligno's temporary replacement.  I thought Goligoski was a bit shaky though.  There were certainly some issues with the ice in the one end of UBS Arena, luckily it was side of the ice where the Islanders had to defend twice.  I have a game recap, an extended Iowa Wild report and prospect news too!  Enjoy!  

• Like 2

Just now, Alexandron said:

We had few chances to place the ENG, but they were lucky to block them plus they created a lot of pressure too, especially, during the last 2 minutes of the game. Then we were lucky too to steal that game (they outshot us twice more 43 vs our 21 shots). I think, in general, NY Islanders is a difficult team to play against, especially if they get in playoffs. I am glad we were able to win as well as to get some experience out of this not an easy game.

Had that penalty not happen, NYI would've pulled their goalie earlier giving us more chances since they would've been more desperate to make plays being down 2 instead of 1, Thus making more mistakes.
That's how I saw it playing out. 😄
Good to get a taste of what we've been doing to other teams and we were able to survive and not give up the tying goal.

Amazing how missing 1 player can change this team and it's game...Brodin, Then Zucc and this time Foligno. 

• Like 2

I also thought that Foligno's absence had a huge impact. It looked like we were going to just run away with the game, and then they started throwing their weight around, and came back into the game.

We managed to win, but the game needs to get better. Way too many scoring chances against us.

• Like 1

I  took some notes from a  Russo twitter regarding Boldy's success:

"Boldy's 9 points in his first 9 NHL games has to be a #mnwild record. Kaprizov had 7, Gaborik 5.

Wild are 8-0-1 since Boldy's debut.

Fiala's 11-game points streak, the second longest in team history, largely coincides with Boldy's recall from the AHL.

ELMONT, N.Y. — On Tuesday, Bill Guerin grabbed hold of Matt Boldy and uttered the words all rookies love to hear from their general manager: “You can find yourself a place.”

The prized rookie is still living in a St. Paul hotel, but it’s safe to say Boldy won’t see Des Moines again this season.

Still, somebody down in Iowa might want to ship the 20-year-old his clothes and the rest of his stuff. If not, Kevin Fiala would probably be more than willing to drive down with Boldy during the All-Star break to help his new linemate pack up his apartment and move to the Twin Cities permanently.

At this point, Fiala would probably even help Boldy find a new pad or let him move into his condo."

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Alexandron said:

I  took some notes from a  Russo twitter regarding Boldy's success:

"Boldy's 9 points in his first 9 NHL games has to be a #mnwild record. Kaprizov had 7, Gaborik 5.

Wild are 8-0-1 since Boldy's debut.

Fiala's 11-game points streak, the second longest in team history, largely coincides with Boldy's recall from the AHL.

ELMONT, N.Y. — On Tuesday, Bill Guerin grabbed hold of Matt Boldy and uttered the words all rookies love to hear from their general manager: “You can find yourself a place.”

The prized rookie is still living in a St. Paul hotel, but it’s safe to say Boldy won’t see Des Moines again this season.

Still, somebody down in Iowa might want to ship the 20-year-old his clothes and the rest of his stuff. If not, Kevin Fiala would probably be more than willing to drive down with Boldy during the All-Star break to help his new linemate pack up his apartment and move to the Twin Cities permanently.

At this point, Fiala would probably even help Boldy find a new pad or let him move into his condo."

This is why I believe in Guerin and the staff comunicating with Iowa on when to bring these guys up. It was perfect timing for Boldy and probably not for Rossi.
Then there's Dewar who's quietly sticking around as needed. Rossi may be on fire back in Iowa again...Good, He got a good taste here and needs to be ready when called upon.

16 hours ago, ClusterChuck said:

I'd start Kahkonen next game then after the ASG, Tandem both goalies all Feb to keep both active for the stretch.

That's a good plan.

I'm already looking ahead and thinking next season: a clear-cut #1 goalie would be better. 

Cannot see how Kahkonen with these performances would be left playing the second fiddle. I mean he's outplaying the opposing goalie in every game and he's outplayed Talbot this season.

But the story of the game: Parise with a vengeance - 0 SOG. Man! did they buy him out too late or what. I guess kudos to Guerin for pulling the trigger finally.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Icechipper said:

Brodin played 27:52 last night. Never happens w/out Suter not hogging minutes

Big difference between Brodin's minutes and a comperable Suter total. Brodin works his a$$ off which includes covering up his linemate's frequent bad choices. ;)
Imagine how much better he might be or easier of a time he'd have if Brodin would be paired with just a decent D-man like a Kulikov.

• Like 2