Minnesota Wild vs Nashville Predators, Sunday 3-13-22, 6:00pm, Xcel Energy Center

MNSOTA

Porous Penalty Kill Spoils Mikko Koivu's Jersey Retirement in 6-2 Loss to Nashville

I missed most of the jersey retirement ceremony but I am not regretting that one bit.  Predictably the Wild looked flat and were mostly outworked by a Nashville team that had played last night.  The Predators recognized the importance of this game and they played like a team that wanted it more.  Minnesota's penalty kill is about as effective as a wet kleenex these days.  Roman Josi played like a stud.  Our defenseman look slow, weak and mistake prone.  We let teams send cross-ice passes all night and those turn into prime chances.  

I have a game recap, some thoughts on the jersey retirement, an extended Iowa Wild report, prospect news and a full 2022 Tourney summary with the new Hockey Hair video too!  Check it out!  

Glad to not have to watch this team for a few days.  My guess is we'll still look tired when we play Boston.  These are crucial home games and I have a bad feeling we're going to throw most of them in the schitter.  

• Like 1

No special patch on the jersey after retiring #9 ? Jackets, Stars and Preds all wore one the night they retired Nash's #61, Zubov's #56 and Rinne's #35...

Next step, unretire this numb #1.

Wild saves cap space by burying him in the minors. It's the owners money 💰💸 so if he wants to pay Rask, Suter and Parise to play elsewhere, it's his dime. Rask is a big leager with too big a contract for him. Like Kirk Cousins. I don't think Fenton gave him the contract but he inherited it when they traded Nino. Problem was, they had not scouted him. 

3 hours ago, Cookie said:

Is Victor Rask rehabbing some sort of injury or are they saying he is just not good enough to make the big club? It would seem if he was making that sort of cash he would be on the big club.

I honestly am not sure what is going on with Rask, but if I were to guess, he is sitting where he is due to the fact the Wild feel they have better options (and they DO).

One of the things I really like about GM Bill Guerin, is that he doesn't seem to really care how much money a guy is making.
If he fits what he wants the club to be, he is on the roster.
If not, he is sent down, not made available for the coach to play, bought out, etc, etc.

Some thought Guerin would be just another 'guy on a string' in the GM seat due to past history with this club and some players, but that doesn't seem to be the case with the current GM.
He has an idea of how he wants this club to be constructed, seems to have an eye for long term competitiveness, title aspirations, and all that....and he isn't gonna let a high priced anchor get in the way.

Wild have some cap hell to navigate through the next four years and that is worrisome.
But you know what?
With Guerin at the helm, and as long as ownership is allowing him to do his job, I think the team will be just fine.