Carle could have gotten us a first and second rounder

Guest RonJeremy

@RonJeremy

Suter can be had for money only,

i'm curious as to who else is out there we could deal JvR for ? who would be the ideal replacement for Pronger after Weber ?

do you think Chicago would consider, brent seabrook, or duncan keith in some kind of block-buster deal multiple players and picks exchanged ?

LA deals Doughty ?

a smaller type deal where we resign Carle and trade for Yandle from PHX ?

i don't know the FA pickin's aren't abundant and I don't know who would be available via trade that would be worth giving up roster players....

I know Suter can be had for only $$ , I meant the price of his contract will be high. Suter is good, but Im not sure if he is worth 7 million. I dont see LA trading Doughty, after they dumped Jack johnson. I also dont see Chicago dumping Keith or Seabrook, and if they did, they would want more than JVR. I think we may have to go after a young dman, who may have fallen into disfavor on his current team. Guys like Subban, Schenn or Bogosian, it also depends on the other teams needs, teams that have a surplus of dmen and are looking for some size/scoring up front, those are the teams that might want to make a trade. Im sure there are other good young dmen out there in the Western Conference, I dont get to see those teams, so I cant really say. Im sure there are also some cant miss defensive prsopects who have been drafted in the past few years and are NHL ready, those are also the tpyes of guys we can target , if all else fails. Lets face it we have ZERO top 4 defensemen anywhere in our junior or AHL sytems. If you sign a dmen via free agency, you always overpay with the contract. Maybe a trade is the way to go

Lets face it we have ZERO top 4 defensemen anywhere in our junior or AHL sytems.

Yeah, the cupboard is pretty bare. However, I think Gus can be a top 4 guy, eventually replacing Timonen. He plays a bit like Timonen and once he puts on a few pounds and gains some more experience, he could be the perfect replacement. People forget that Timonen was a 10th round pick. He developed.

Still, we need more. Homer absolutely has to take a D-man in June in the first round. Ideally he could trade up to get a top-15 pick since the 2012 draft has a huge number of D-prospects. Too bad he traded a bunch of picks that could have been used easily to move up :(

Given what i've seen of Schenn in the last 3 weeks(for whatever reason they're on all the time here in Pennsyltucky) he will be crucified here, he has been in the frame doing not much in many of the Toronto goals against, and he's been particularly brutal this week,

he may yet develop but JvR for him straight up is robbery Homer would never do it.

@mojo1917, when they did talk of getting Schenn from Toronto, they did say that TO would sent more than just Schenn for JVR. One kid i like on Toronto is Cody Franson, they stole him from Nashville for nothing. Id try and get him, but not for JVR. I guess or management has to look at the potential dmen out there, and decide who to go after. Who has the most potential to improve, and who provides what we need on the blueline. A guy with a good accurate shot would be nice, a guy with top defensive ability too.

Standing Pat is great for now, but no one seems to be addressing the fact that in spite of adding 2 dmen, the guys we added are 3rd pairing guys. No one is thinking about how do we replace Pronger, and Timmo is wearing down and has one year left. So that leaves us without a number one and two dman in the very near future, and those kind of guys dont grow on trees. So viaFA or a trade will have to make a move. Pronger is virtually irreplaceable, the closest to his skill set is Webber, and getting him is a long shot. The price for Suter will be very high, so we may have no alternative but to trade a guy like JVR for an equally talented young dman.

The thing the Bruins and Rangers have on us is defense and goaltending, there is not much we can do with the goaltending, but we can surely make some deals to improve the D. o matter what Holmgren or anyone else says, there is no way he is satisfied with our group of defensemen. He will do something in the offseason

I think Homer is gearing up to address that in the offseason by signing Suter or acquiring Weber.

And I think that is the smart play.

I am starting to think that the Preds resemble the 2007 Ducks (Suter & Weber = Neidermeyer & Pronger). Looking more & more like a real Cup contender, at least for this year.

@RonJeremy

Suter can be had for money only,

i'm curious as to who else is out there we could deal JvR for ? who would be the ideal replacement for Pronger after Weber ?

do you think Chicago would consider, brent seabrook, or duncan keith in some kind of block-buster deal multiple players and picks exchanged ?

LA deals Doughty ?

a smaller type deal where we resign Carle and trade for Yandle from PHX ?

i don't know the FA pickin's aren't abundant and I don't know who would be available via trade that would be worth giving up roster players....

Trading for Schenn or Yandle would be terrific, especially if Homer finds a way to land Suter.

But don't be so shocked if Carle stays.

@JackStraw Agree jack, just because you're not a cup fav does not mean you become a seller. Besides, giving up Carle for picks would be totally counterproductive to acquring Grossman and Kubina....the whole idea was to bolster the defense, not subtract a playoff savvy vet (although I'll admit I'm not a huge fan of Carle....playoff experience is playoff experience.....can never discount the value of being there many times before). Homer saw the goaltending was what it was....so chose to do the next best thing, bolster the defense around the tenders....at least that's my take.

@jammer2 - I agree. I think Homer did what he could, without paying a high price, to replace some of what the team lost when Pronger went out. Size on the blueline, some "tough to play against" factor, and a big point shot. Although those moves don't make the team serious Cup contenders, they do give the team a better chance to get some valuable playoff experience (important for guys like Schenn, Couturier, Read, Voracek...) without really sacrificing flexibility for the future. I think more and more it seems like the smart approach is to tinker at the trade deadline and make the big moves during the off season.

@JackStraw yep, I think the whole idea was to not have a defense pairing that the other teams would be able to target during the playoffs. As good as Bourdon looked throughout the season, opposing teams circle the rookies and look for them to get on the ice. Forget who it was at the moment, but the Hawks picked on our 5/6 pairing endlessly. They played less than 10 minutes a game and *always* seemed to allow a goal against. That's what Grossman and Kubina represent, the inability of opposing coaches to exploit an obvious weakness. Of course, it's all moot if the tenders preform like they have been, but at least they will get some help ie boxing out and clearing the crease...making it easier on them.

• Like 1

http://www.hockeysfu...erik_gudbranson

Here is a dman we could target, i never watch FLA play so Im not sure what theier needs are, but this guys surely sounds like what we need.

I doubt we could get that Gudbranson. He's a top prospect with FLA. They have a ton of money wrapped up in forwards. I doubt we have anything to offer them.

I'm sure the Flyers will target Suter at season's end. They made moves for band-aid free agents-to-be so I bet they go after Suter aa a replacement to Carle. Down the road I don't think its outrageous to pursue Weber when be becomes a FA either. Unless Nashville goes deep and is left wanting I can see Weber walking in 2 years. If he wins a cup or gets ousted early again he might either chase the money or the atmosphere elsewhere.

I think we may have to go after a young dman, who may have fallen into disfavor on his current team. Guys like Subban, Schenn or Bogosian, it also depends on the other teams needs, teams that have a surplus of dmen and are looking for some size/scoring up front, those are the teams that might want to make a trade.

you just listed 3 defensively terrible defensemen. why are we wanting them, now?

Is Bogosian poor defensively or is he having a bad year?

he's actually having his best year defensively since his rookie season. last year and the one before, he had the worst +/- on the entire thrashers' roster. when you were the worst defensive player for the atlanta thrashers two years running, you've accomplished something impressive.

this season, he's just bottom third on their roster. so he's improving.