*** 2022 Free Agency Thread ***

1 minute ago, FireDillabaugh said:

Absolutely crazy term for Trocheck.

Agree ...he is 29 and thinking this may be his last big pay day .....  nice player but not for that length of contract.

• Like 2

Not sure if this was posted earlier in the week ....

Rickard Rakell signed a six-year, $30 million contract with the Pittsburgh Penguins on Monday.

It has an average annual value of $5 million.

The 29-year-old forward, who could have become an unrestricted free agent Wednesday, had 41 points (20 goals, 21 assists) in 70 games for the Penguins and Anaheim Ducks this season, including 13 points (four goals, nine assists) in 19 games with Pittsburgh after he was acquired in a trade March 21

Oilers finally get a goalie ......  does this get them to the promised land???

The Edmonton Oilers are signing goalie Jack Campbell to a five-year contract ($5 million average annual value), according to Sportsnet.

Campbell to Edmonton is not a surprise. The Oilers need a No. 1 goalie and there were two true top goalies on the market, Campbell and Darcy Kuemper, who has been linked to the Washington Capitals.

Campbell, 30, is coming off his best season, going 31-9-6 with five shutouts, a 2.64 goals-against average and .914 save percentage for the Toronto Maple Leafs.

Mike Smith remains in Edmonton, but now likely in a backup role, if the 40-year-old veteran goalie stays.

Edited by pilldoc

1 minute ago, pilldoc said:

The Edmonton Oilers are signing goalie Jack Campbell to a five-year contract ($5 million average annual value), according to Sportsnet.

I mean, hey, he worked out for Tronno, right?

:5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

1 minute ago, FireDillabaugh said:

Word is he'll be on LTIR for the season.

Hell he barely made it through last season.  Every time he sneezed he was getting injured . 

23 hours ago, pilldoc said:

The Chicago Blackhawks are hellbent on purging themselves of talented players in their 20s. Dylan Strome will not get a QO and will become a UFA.

Chicago trying desperately to suck bad enough in order to get a chance at Bedard ......  I will be thoroughly pi$$$$$$ed if the Hawks land #1 overall at next years draft.

That's how you retool. BITFU. See Colorado, Tampa, or how not to, see chuckles (I'm an idiot) Fletcher.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, radoran said:
6 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

I mean, hey, he worked out for Tronno, right?

Campbell finished with an impressive 31-9-6 record with the Maple Leafs last season. However, that doesn't mean his entire season went smoothly. Check out his first half/second half splits:

GP W L OTL GAA SV% QUAL QUAL% GSAA
1st half 25 17 5 2 1.89 0.939 19 76.0 20.33
2nd half 24 14 4 4 3.47 0.888 9 37.5 -16.06

In other words, Campbell looked like an All-Star during the first half (which he was) but struggled mightily in the second half. His playoff numbers (3.15 GAA, 0.897 SV%) were somewhat misleading when you factor in his overall decent performance against Tampa Bay.

• Like 1

Ian Cole going to Tampa Bay.
I like the player there too, but that also means, Jan Rutta won't be coming back.

Cole > Rutta, BUT, Rutta has been Victor Hedman's regular partner and played very seamlessly with him. 
Hope whomever partners with Hedder can live up to that.
If Hedman has one major flaw, it is that he tries to do TOO MUCH when he feels he has to cover for his partner....he never really had to do that with Rutta.

Cole's deal looks like it is for 3M per for two years.

Namestnikov returns to the Lightning. all but sure Palat will play elsewhere...

Burns, how he has fallen. He was dealt for a 13th forward and a C plus goalie prospect and the Sharks ate a third of his contract. BUT the wporst for the Sharks is he is the only Shark defender who scored a power play goal last year

2 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

Chiarat and Matta to the Wings who are rebuilding their defense along with Copp they will be tougher to play agaisnt

Solid moves for the Wings.

Defense was always an area of concern, Stevie Y is slowly addressing that.
Having good vets like Chiarot back there should allow youngsters like Mortiz Seider to do more their own thing.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

Length is horrible. I'm in the never-more-than-three-year-for-a-goalie-unless-he's-at-least-a-three-time-Vézina-winner school.

Just now, FireDillabaugh said:

Will they though?  I get that you hope they will be.  But, not sure either is much of an improvement.  Maatta is a HUGE liability.

Chiarot nor Maata make the Wings "heavily armored", but they DO make Detroit better than the mostly paper thin defense they've had for most of the last few seasons.

Like I said in my post, Yzerman SLOWLY addressing the defensive issues.
Neither of those defensemen take the Wings to "the promised land", but they make great stop gaps while they figure out who will.
I particularly like Chiarot on the Detroit blue line.... Kronwall-lite. :) 

• Like 1

Bolts ink Mikhail Sergachev to an 8 year extension....8.5M AAV.
Wow.

Pressure is on Serge!
No more sheltering for you...now you gotta perform like a big leaguer with no training wheels!
He is expected to take Ryan McDonagh's minutes and responsibilities, while providing a bit of offense.
We will see.

Lightning also welcome back an old buddy...Vladdy Namestnikov. 1 year deal, don't see the amount, but can't be much left after the previous signings already.
Namestnikov likely takes Palat's spot and responsibilities.

3 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Lightning also welcome back an old buddy...Vladdy Namestnikov. 1 year deal, don't see the amount, but can't be much left after the previous signings already.
Namestnikov likely takes Palat's spot and responsibilities.

Quite liked him during his stint with the Stars. Amongst the one or two bottom-6 forward we should get, I was favoring him because of his swiss-knife CV. But I guess DeBoer will give the spots for some of the prospects.

Edit: $2.5M. A bit expensive IMO.

Edited by Math

2 minutes ago, Math said:

Quite liked him during his stint with the Stars. Amongst the one or two bottom-6 forward we should get, I was favoring him because of his swiss-knife CV. But I guess DeBoer will give the spots for some of the prospects.

Vladdy was a relative "bust" as a first round draft choice for the Lightning, but over the years, he has proven himself to be, like you said, a swiss knife type player, very useful, chips in offense, can play any forward position, etc.

Seems more like a guy who should have been picked in the 3rd round or so...Bolts clearly selected him too high in 2011.
And Namestnikov always seems to be that player that keeps getting flipped around from team to team.....on the one hand, makes you think, "Why doesn't anyone want to hang onto him?".

But on the other hand, if a team keeps trading for him, SOMEONE wants him and what he can do.
Maybe the teams who keep trading him are disappointed he isn't a real first rounder?
But those that want him accept what he is and go from there? I dunno.

I'm ok with Vladdy coming back "home" to the Lightning.

• Like 1