Lost Gaudreau and Gudbrandson...what next...😫😫😫

thegx.ca

3 hours ago, Brewin Flames said:

Meh, Trev did the best he could to keep JG and in the end, he chose to be closer to home...thanks for 9 good years as a Flames, sucks that he left but Oh well.

As for Gudbranson...i won't lose any sleep over it.

Is Columbus that much closer to home for him though...?

3 hours ago, FireDillabaugh said:

Lol.  Too funny.  Concern over losing "Gudbranson"?  That's just hilarious.

Seriously?  You realize he's from Salem, New Jersey, right?  Yeah, just a bit closer to home.

Yeah I like Gudbrandson he's tough as fck too...I don't like Calgary getting softer...

As for wanting to be closer to home he should have just went to Jersey then or Long Island...

1 minute ago, Villella McMeans said:

Yeah I like Gudbrandson he's tough as fck too...I don't like Calgary getting softer...

As for wanting to be closer to home he should have just went to Jersey then or Long Island...

The devils offered him a monster contract, he said no thanks.

1 minute ago, Brewin Flames said:

The devils offered him a monster contract, he said no thanks.

That's what makes no sense...maybe he'll just go to Philly after a year or two like the other poster already said...

Now Jarncrok too...yeah he didn't produce but still he's should be worth 2M/year that Toronto paid...well I guess without Gaudreau there no window anymore but still I'm sure he would've bit less to stay here with his cousin and Markstrom...4 years at 2M is a good deal...

5 minutes ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

They lost JG for jack sh$t...they better get a huge haul for TK

Edited by Brewin Flames
  • Like 1

Matthew Tkachuk has told the Calgary Flames that he won’t be re-signing with the club, multiple sources tell The Athletic, making a trade of the 24-year-old All-Star forward likely to happen soon.

Tkachuk has not officially asked for a trade, but the fact that the restricted free agent is unwilling to make a long-term commitment to Calgary would be the driving force behind the decision to move him now.

In addition to making the Flames aware that he won’t be re-signing with the organization that picked him at No. 6 in the 2016 NHL Draft, Tkachuk has supplied them with a list of teams with whom he would agree to a long-term contract, according to multiple sources. Tkachuk does have some power over where he might land, given that teams likely won't want to pay as large of a trade price for him as a rental.

One source familiar with Tkachuk’s list said that St. Louis, Vegas, Florida, Nashville and Dallas are options. New Jersey and the New York Rangers are also among the other teams that have expressed interest in the past.

This week, Calgary filed for club-elected arbitration. A hearing is expected to be held between July 27 and Aug. 11. The date for Tkachuk’s case has not yet been announced. If the team and Tkachuk did go to arbitration, a one-year contract would be awarded.

That procedural step gave the Flames time to work out a deal — either a sign-and-trade, which would allow for a maximum eight-year extension and perhaps increase the size of the return, or just a traditional trade including his signing rights. A long-term contract would likely carry at least a $9 million annual average value for Tkachuk, who had 42 goals and 104 points in 82 games last season. The left winger was voted a second-team All-Star.

At this point, it appears highly unlikely that the Flames could convince Tkachuk to re-sign, even if they offered him a huge contract and the captaincy. One source said it’s expected that Tkachuk will definitely be dealt before the arbitration hearing.

https://theathletic.com/news/tkachuk-trade-likely-flames-sources/pH0rzGF2cZYs/

-----

Ouch, and I mean that with 0% sarcasm. As a fan, I've been there.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

Those two brothers going to end up in St Louis I guess...now that players decide everything they'll all want to be closer to home...even Dubois letting it known he wants to go to Montreal so in the future teams will have to be knowledgeable about trading players to their favorite teams or closer to their families before they reach free agency...

36 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

Matthew Tkachuk has told the Calgary Flames that he won’t be re-signing with the club, multiple sources tell The Athletic, making a trade of the 24-year-old All-Star forward likely to happen soon.

Tkachuk has not officially asked for a trade, but the fact that the restricted free agent is unwilling to make a long-term commitment to Calgary would be the driving force behind the decision to move him now.

In addition to making the Flames aware that he won’t be re-signing with the organization that picked him at No. 6 in the 2016 NHL Draft, Tkachuk has supplied them with a list of teams with whom he would agree to a long-term contract, according to multiple sources. Tkachuk does have some power over where he might land, given that teams likely won't want to pay as large of a trade price for him as a rental.

One source familiar with Tkachuk’s list said that St. Louis, Vegas, Florida, Nashville and Dallas are options. New Jersey and the New York Rangers are also among the other teams that have expressed interest in the past.

This week, Calgary filed for club-elected arbitration. A hearing is expected to be held between July 27 and Aug. 11. The date for Tkachuk’s case has not yet been announced. If the team and Tkachuk did go to arbitration, a one-year contract would be awarded.

That procedural step gave the Flames time to work out a deal — either a sign-and-trade, which would allow for a maximum eight-year extension and perhaps increase the size of the return, or just a traditional trade including his signing rights. A long-term contract would likely carry at least a $9 million annual average value for Tkachuk, who had 42 goals and 104 points in 82 games last season. The left winger was voted a second-team All-Star.

At this point, it appears highly unlikely that the Flames could convince Tkachuk to re-sign, even if they offered him a huge contract and the captaincy. One source said it’s expected that Tkachuk will definitely be dealt before the arbitration hearing.

https://theathletic.com/news/tkachuk-trade-likely-flames-sources/pH0rzGF2cZYs/

-----

Ouch, and I mean that with 0% sarcasm. As a fan, I've been there.

I'll never hate Johnny Hockey he didn't have to write that and I'd still cheer for him wherever he goes...but it's good of him to write that...things like not being able to go his grandfather funeral etc are high prices to pay for being a professional...I wouldn't be able to make all the time sacrifices that's for sure...just too bad his family and I mean his parents etc wouldn't want to spend more time in Calgary...his dad was already living with him during the season and the playoffs...they could have bought their parents homes in Calgary and I'm sure they all considered all that...oh well...naturally stars that can choose like Tkachuk will all go back to wherever they choose...but if it were me I would've forced my parents and wife to live in Calgary with me hahaha yeah I'm more selfish than Johnny Hockey in that way but he's more selfish in wherever way that made him leave and start the end of this Cup window for Calgary...as a fan I'll miss Johnny Hockey and respect him more for this letter even though I still don't agree...just like I'll always be cheering for Calgary even if they were last in the league...

Might as well turn my mind to the rebuild and who we might get for everyone that's planning to leave...

• Like 1

...and despite losing to Edmonton this year I'll always consider this year one of the best for Calgary especially the regular season really showed what Sutter can do with a team and I'll be excited to see what he can do losing these key players and more...

• Like 1

@Villella McMeans

Canadian sports teams face many disadvantages when compared to just about any US destination, such as taxes, climate, and not having to deal with frenzied fans. I have to admit to a special sort of annoyance, when teams like the Flames and Oilers contribute financially to maintaining perpetually unwatched and unprofitable southern teams while fans in Edmonton and Calgary pay high prices for tickets and a drink, and must work overtime to get and keep good players. We're at the stage of the game where Canadian teams really need to consider the birthplace of the player they're drafting because, to the extent that I'm not very attracted to the idea of living in the US, US-born players can't be faulted for desiring to live close to their families and the culture they know.

---

The Flames are now in a pickle with Matt Tkachuk, and it's not their fault at all. If they want to keep him, they will have to pony up the sort of money that elite players get, and while I think he's very good, I don't think he's in that range where they want to pay out the same kind of cash that goes to players like Connor McDavid or Auston Matthews.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Villella McMeans said:

Those two brothers going to end up in St Louis I guess.

Let's hope so then the Flyers can make it a family reunion and trade them their cousin Kevin Hayes real cheaply...:hehe:

• Haha 1

Vegas? why not. They could ship Karlsson and Marchessault to Calgary for "future considerations" to be cap compliant. Seriously, if the Stars manage to package Lindell or/and Faska in a deal, it's a yes. But it would cost additional assets or prospects...

17 hours ago, JR Ewing said:

@Villella McMeans

Canadian sports teams face many disadvantages when compared to just about any US destination, such as taxes, climate, and not having to deal with frenzied fans. I have to admit to a special sort of annoyance, when teams like the Flames and Oilers contribute financially to maintaining perpetually unwatched and unprofitable southern teams while fans in Edmonton and Calgary pay high prices for tickets and a drink, and must work overtime to get and keep good players. We're at the stage of the game where Canadian teams really need to consider the birthplace of the player they're drafting because, to the extent that I'm not very attracted to the idea of living in the US, US-born players can't be faulted for desiring to live close to their families and the culture they know.

---

The Flames are now in a pickle with Matt Tkachuk, and it's not their fault at all. If they want to keep him, they will have to pony up the sort of money that elite players get, and while I think he's very good, I don't think he's in that range where they want to pay out the same kind of cash that goes to players like Connor McDavid or Auston Matthews.

Yeah...and at least Tkachuk has let Calgary know what his future plans are earlier too allow a trade too...I'll always be wondering what Calgary could have gotten from Columbus for Gaudreau in a trade instead of losing him to free agency...

1 hour ago, Villella McMeans said:

Yeah...and at least Tkachuk has let Calgary know what his future plans are earlier too allow a trade too...I'll always be wondering what Calgary could have gotten from Columbus for Gaudreau in a trade instead of losing him to free agency...

I think Johnny Hockey will become a cautionary tale throughout the league. Cant imagine another superstar just walking away without some sort of return. Teams will be much more proactive in their approach. If it appears you won't resign and its not a negotiation ploy...you will be dealt. Nashville situation with Forsberg was different cause there was active talks between the 2 sides. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jammer2 said:

I think Johnny Hockey will become a cautionary tale throughout the league. Cant imagine another superstar just walking away without some sort of return. Teams will be much more proactive in their approach. If it appears you won't resign and its not a negotiation ploy...you will be dealt. Nashville situation with Forsberg was different cause there was active talks between the 2 sides. 

Didn't we say that about tavares?

• Like 1

On 7/20/2022 at 6:58 PM, JR Ewing said:

I have to admit to a special sort of annoyance, when teams like the Flames and Oilers contribute financially to maintaining perpetually unwatched and unprofitable southern teams while fans in Edmonton and Calgary pay high prices for tickets and a drink,

I'll give you Arizona, but Tampa, Nashville, Dallas, and Vegas were all in the Top 10 for attendance last year (yes, Canadian teams lost some attendance due to COVID).

I don't really know how much revenue sharing comes out of Calgary and Edmonton, but I doubt they are propping up "southern teams" unless you mean Winnipeg and Ottawa. 😃

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, radoran said:

I'll give you Arizona, but Tampa, Nashville, Dallas, and Vegas were all in the Top 10 for attendance last year (yes, Canadian teams lost some attendance due to COVID).

I don't really know how much revenue sharing comes out of Calgary and Edmonton, but I doubt they are propping up "southern teams" unless you mean Winnipeg and Ottawa. 😃

I mean, the Oilers, in a market which is a fraction of the size of those cities, with a dollar worth 75-80% of the USD at any given time, brought in more revenue than each of those teams. But yes, I was thinking specifically of places like Arizona. If the Maple Leafs help prop up a dog like the Coyotes and then lose Auston Matthews to them because he would rather play in his hometown, it's a tough pill to swallow. I wouldn't blame him for it if he did so (because I would likely feel the same way) but it's hard to see all the same.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

But yes, I was thinking specifically of places like Arizona.

OK, but Arizona is one team. You can likely add Florida to that list. So there's two.

There is a narrative that "southern teams" don't draw, which is just factually incorrect. The NHL has attempted to expand the sport, and it has, successfully.

Three of the top ten revenue teams are Canadian - including the top two (Montreal, Tronno), and #4 (Edmonton).

Calgary is 17th. Trailing LA, Tampa, Dallas, and Vegas.

Vancouver is 24th. Just behind Buffalo and just in front of Winnipeg.

Ottawa is 27th, just behind... Florida.

Half the Canadian teams are top ten in revenue. The other half are in the bottom half with two in the bottom third.

To wit, I don't think Calgary is "propping up" anybody.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, radoran said:

OK, but Arizona is one team. You can likely add Florida to that list. So there's two.

There is a narrative that "southern teams" don't draw, which is just factually incorrect. The NHL has attempted to expand the sport, and it has, successfully.

Three of the top ten revenue teams are Canadian - including the top two (Montreal, Tronno), and #4 (Edmonton).

Calgary is 17th. Trailing LA, Tampa, Dallas, and Vegas.

Vancouver is 24th. Just behind Buffalo and just in front of Winnipeg.

Ottawa is 27th, just behind... Florida.

Half the Canadian teams are top ten in revenue. The other half are in the bottom half with two in the bottom third.

To wit, I don't think Calgary is "propping up" anybody.

I think you already know very well that the point of my post was not that the Calgary Flames are propping up the Los Angeles Kings, Lightning or even the Dallas Stars, but go with that if you want. My point was that a small market in the middle of nowhere in Canada already faces disadvantages that won't exist elsewhere, and that they face extra struggles to not only get good players but keep good players, and that there is a special irony in that those players are sometimes lost to markets which aren't exactly hockey Meccas.

• Like 2