What if? .... Forum from a different Flyers era

CoachX

We obviously have had little, to no good, to discuss for a long time. When stuck in a negative rut that hits hard emotionally,  people react differently. I often wonder how some of us might interact if our forum was around during the 70s, 80s, or during the rise of the legion. How would we be discussing those events? How many people would have lost their minds when we traded for Eric? What would the reaction be to BC breaking the ankle of that Russian?

We missed out on some good material

• Like 1

I think today's me would have enjoyed yesterday's forum.

Lindros/Brind'Amour,  Hextall's struggle filling Pelle's shoes...lots of juicy gossip.

I'd like it especially because it means we'd have gone through all of the digital life growing pains by now.

Our current times leave a lot to be desired when it comes to mental well-being.

It seems so much "content" is just a stick being poked through the bars of our little rat houses at us.

It would be very nice to be on the other side of this societal cognitive shift, rather than not knowing how to navigate it as it's happening.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CoachX said:

We obviously have had little, to no good, to discuss for a long time. When stuck in a negative rut that hits hard emotionally,  people react differently. I often wonder how some of us might interact if our forum was around during the 70s, 80s, or during the rise of the legion. How would we be discussing those events? How many people would have lost their minds when we traded for Eric? What would the reaction be to BC breaking the ankle of that Russian?

We missed out on some good material

Hard to say.

I know I would have enjoyed winning two Cups.

And even with two Cup I'd have to think k some here would still bitch about something...

:5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

• Like 1

Among many things that happened, I would have loved discussing the Montreal pre-game brawl. That was a one of a kind. Considering today's views on fighting, I wonder how forum posters would've reacted to that

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CoachX said:

Among many things that happened, I would have loved discussing the Montreal pre-game brawl. That was a one of a kind. Considering today's views on fighting, I wonder how forum posters would've reacted to that

The Ottawa line brawl would have been fun too.

• Like 2

Tim Kerr would've been a great discussion. 4 goals in 8:16 against the Rags (who I fcking hate 😤) in a playoff game

Can you imagine how the medical staff would get brutalized in this forum over his issues?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CoachX said:

Wasn't the forum operating then?

Team History GIF by ClickUp

2004? probably. 

But I wasn't savvy to internet forums yet, with tech I'm either way ahead of the curve or with the pack, I usually don't lag behind the exception being cable cutting and live streaming.

I don't think folks were as active in the public internet space as they became once the iPhone became a thing. That was 2007.

So maybe like 15 people were arguing with each other on Philly.com

• Like 1

Thinking of the way people react today, I wonder how many forum members would've criticized the Lindros trade when it happened?

Hindsight being 20/20, I would still do that trade today

• Like 1

Both of my daughters still watch the Ottawa thing on YouTube on occasion.

You even mention Spezza or they hear his name on play by play and they'll yell, "down goes Spezza! Down goes Spezza!"    (Jackson's call on the Philly feed)

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, CoachX said:

I remember watching that happen. I stood up the whole time in my living room....wife thought I was an idiot!

I remember watching it it live on TV thinking… holy hell … so this is what 70’s hockey was like….

• Like 2

19 hours ago, ruxpin said:

Both of my daughters still watch the Ottawa thing on YouTube on occasion.

You even mention Spezza or they hear his name on play by play and they'll yell, "down goes Spezza! Down goes Spezza!"    (Jackson's call on the Philly feed)

I still watch the Ottawa thing on YouTube as well....good times!!!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Good Post 1

10 minutes ago, flyer4ever said:

In the 70's Keith Allen had a plan. Clarke, Barber, MacLeish, Parent, Jim Watson, were elite talents. The toughness was secondary, but the puff balls in the media loved to detract from the talent. You don't brawl your way to back to back championships. 2 shutouts in cup clinching games. Reggie Leach was added, but the Habs built a juggernaut. The mid 80's teams were stacked on the blue line and in goal. Great depth at forward. Management had a plan, and Keenan was the perfect coach, as was Shero. It was fun to watch those teams live, when they were visiting the atmosphere was awesome, home crowds hated them, but the Flyers had a big fan base. And the Spectrum, nothing like it. I could go on and on, being a Flyer fan was awesome. 

And then Allen was pushed to the side and the team has legitimately not been built well since.

We were competitive. We bought our way into that.  It wasn't grown from within, our system grew fat, lazy, and corporate and we lost our identity.

I blame the goalie coach, myself.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, flyer4ever said:

In the 70's Keith Allen had a plan. Clarke, Barber, MacLeish, Parent, Jim Watson, were elite talents. The toughness was secondary, but the puff balls in the media loved to detract from the talent. You don't brawl your way to back to back championships. 2 shutouts in cup clinching games. Reggie Leach was added, but the Habs built a juggernaut. The mid 80's teams were stacked on the blue line and in goal. Great depth at forward. Management had a plan, and Keenan was the perfect coach, as was Shero. It was fun to watch those teams live, when they were visiting the atmosphere was awesome, home crowds hated them, but the Flyers had a big fan base. And the Spectrum, nothing like it. I could go on and on, being a Flyer fan was awesome. 

Very interesting synopsis. But what does it have to do with the hypothetical conversations our forum would have if we were discussing those events as they transpired?

Edited by CoachX

13 minutes ago, flyer4ever said:

Another upside to the pre internet era was that if someone had a differing point of view than you  you didn't hate them and call them names.

Great point. Totally agree. But on the flip side, without the internet those conversations would be limited to your local crowd only. How would I get insight from OC, mojo, yourself or , (gulp, I cant belive I'm saying this) or Rux 😁?

• Haha 2
  • Uggh... 1

24 minutes ago, CoachX said:

Great point. Totally agree. But on the flip side, without the internet those conversations would be limited to your local crowd only. How would I get insight from OC, mojo, yourself or , (gulp, I cant belive I'm saying this) or Rux 😁?

True dat. But Rux? Really?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Good Post 1