Thompson 7 yrs, $ 49 Million

Brewin Flames

Thompson agrees to seven-year contract extension with Sabres

Forward will make $7.14 million annually, set NHL career highs in goals, assists, points last season

NHL.com @NHLdotcom
 August 30, 2022
  •  
cut.jpg

Tage Thompson agreed to a seven-year, $50 million contract extension with the Buffalo Sabres on Tuesday. The contract, which starts next season, has an average annual value of $7.14 million.

The 24-year-old forward has one season remaining on a three-year, $4.2 million contract ($1.4 million AAV) he signed with Buffalo on Oct. 5, 2020. He set NHL career highs in goals (38), assists (30) and points (68) in 78 games last season.

"Tage Thompson embodies the pride we expect from every player who wears the Buffalo Sabres sweater," Sabres general manager Kevyn Adams said. "His success last season is a testament to his unrelenting dedication to his craft and commitment to bettering the team both on and off the ice, which we believe will help us reach even greater heights moving forward."

Thompson had said after last season ended that he was hoping to stay with the Sabres in the long term.

"This is a place I want to be at for a very long time," he said May 1. "I want to be a guy that helps this team win and make the playoffs and win a Stanley Cup, and obviously those are all just words and you've got to put that into action.

"I'm excited to be a guy that's a Buffalo Sabre and I think we've got lot of guys in the room that feel the same way about our team as I do."

Selected by the St. Louis Blues in the first round (No. 26) of the 2016 NHL Draft, Thompson has 103 points (56 goals, 47 assists) in 223 regular-season games with the Blues and Sabres.

Thompson was acquired by Buffalo in the trade for forward Ryan O'Reilly on July 1, 2018.

• Good Post 1

Wow. Thompson had a terrific year, but that's literally it: he's only played one full NHL season. Tying up $49M over 7 years is an awful lot of risk, especially for a guy who has never produced like that before. For the sake of Buffalo's long suffering fans, I hope it works.

• Like 3
  • Good Post 1

Agree with those who are saying it is a huge gamble.
I've always liked his potential, but like many have pointed out already, it wasn't until last year that he actually realized that potential.

Now it falls on the player to show he wasn't a 'one night only' performance and THAT is who he really is....otherwise....yikes...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/31/2022 at 11:49 AM, OccamsRazor said:

Wow so one good year where you score 38 goals lands you a contract like this.

Unreal.

I guess this is the new norm.

This is the first I heard of this.  Unreal is right. WTF.  And if Middlestadt has a big year are we going to give him the same?  We just cant continue this. I was shocked at Thompson taking such a big step last year.  I did not see it coming. 

• Like 2