2022-23 HF.net Sweet 16 Hall of Fame FHL - In Season Discussion Thread

pilldoc

• 2 weeks later...

I am reasonably happy with the team I drafted despite being near the arse end of the draft.

I sacrificed offense for the sake of shoring up my goalies and may have overdone it in net, but my modus operandi has always been Peripherals and goalies lol. Time will tell if it was a good decision or not. I would rather have 1 too many than to have to spot start the Coyotes goalie just to make my weekly minimum.

My best guess is workhorse goalies will easily be the hardest commodity to acquire a month into the season. 16 teams mean 32 goalies just to have 2 per team. A single injury is devastating.

Supply and demand will be like the Halifax Housing market. My house doubled in value in the last 3 years because of how crazy low our housing stock has gotten and because of population growth.

1 minute ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

I am reasonably happy with the team I drafted despite being near the arse end of the draft.

I sacrificed offense for the sake of shoring up my goalies and may have overdone it in net, but my modus operandi has always been Peripherals and goalies lol. Time will tell if it was a good decision or not. I would rather have 1 too many than to have to spot start the Coyotes goalie just to make my weekly minimum.

My best guess is workhorse goalies will easily be the hardest commodity to acquire a month into the season. 16 teams mean 32 goalies just to have 2 per team. A single injury is devastating.

Supply and demand will be like the Halifax Housing market. My house doubled in value in the last 3 years because of how crazy low our housing stock has gotten and because of population growth.

I too went heavy on peripherals and goalies. That is why I grabbed 2 with my 3 first picks. Knowing that I was ok passing on Vasi and Shester for Makar with my 1st pick (#5 overall).

Was able to draft Oettinger and Binnington. Drafted Gruber for spot starts later in draft.

it was interesting to have a straight draft. 

I drafted my guys anyone who has played me knows who I draft in banger leagues. took tanev who was second in hits last year before his injury shut down his year and gudas. Have never had bergeron always wanted him 300 shots 950 faceofs. Weak in goal gotta fix that.

I am shopping draisatl  not kidding for elite tender and damn fine right wing and solid centre. Already had a couple talks 

Took a bit of a different approach with my team this year in Hf.net.

Went right away with what I believe should be solid starting netminding.... Jack Campbell I think will put his experience in Tor and make it work for him in EDM....Hell Boy can't POSSIBLY have another bad year, even if his team isn't the best in front of him....and Jonathan Quick seemed a bit revitalized last season, and I think the old netminder as another good season or two left in him as his Kings continue to improve on all fronts.

Decided to go with more younger guys/newer guys, chancy picks this time around, that could turn into something no one expects.....starting on defense, with Owen Power, Alex Romanov.
And up front, with Andrei Kuzmenko, Nick Paul (first full season with a winning club? Let's go Paul!), and Tanner Jeannot.

Face offs should be a strength for me (Horvat, Dubois, Schenn, Haula, Stephenson, and the aforementioned Paul), but not JUST face off men....face off men with some offense and all around decent peripherals in various categories.

Caveats?
Well, if my 'youngsters' on defense (Ryan Pulock is my only real established, reliable vet) fall on their face and Tony DeAngelo DOESN'T thrive in Philadelphia, it could be disastrous.
And if the goaltending turns out to be a mirage (Quick really IS done, Hell Boy just can't overcome his inept skaters, and Jack Campbell turns back into a back up guy), that could also undermine me big time.

I like my forwards units as a whole, but will it be enough to carry the team if those other areas falter?
Don't know yet.

It is FHL pre-season, and EVERYONE is a contender....till the puck drops, and we possibly realize what pretenders we have on our squads! :shifty: 

• Like 3

For the Record, a few of yall did this to me during the draft

I was at the point where I was like "Time to Draft Boldy. I need dual eligible wingers", then DUmba drafted him 2 moves ahead of me.

Next round i was like, "Ohhhh Chabot is still available!" Math Drafts him 1 move ahead of me. Then i was like "ohhh Toffoli" and Dumba drafts him 2 moves ahead of me. LOL

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

For the Record, a few of yall did this to me during the draft

I was at the point where I was like "Time to Draft Boldy. I need dual eligible wingers", then DUmba drafted him 2 moves ahead of me.

Next round i was like, "Ohhhh Chabot is still available!" Math Drafts him 1 move ahead of me. Then i was like "ohhh Toffoli" and Dumba drafts him 2 moves ahead of me. LOL

@Jagged Ice did that to me in a few rounds....the biggest "ouch" was him taking Thatcher Demko RIGHT BEFORE me, when everyone else seemed to pass on him.

Goes to show....despite our various experience with FHL, we all tend to think somewhat alike in terms of players at certain positions at certain points in the draft.
But yea....those 'swipes' right before you get a chance to get your man are uncanny! 😄

@yave1964

"Great draft BTW i cannot beleive that Doc passed in Shester!! Makar great elite player but josi woulda been there in the second round essentially same player. just wow"

Hindsight being 20/20, I misread how I thought everyone was going to draft. I wanted a strong D-man.  Thought if I passed on Makar, I would also miss out on Josi as scoring d-men are a high commodity.  I see now how I could have taken Shester still got Oettinger and drafted Josi.  Oh well, life goes on.  We all make mistakes.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pilldoc said:

@yave1964

"Great draft BTW i cannot beleive that Doc passed in Shester!! Makar great elite player but josi woulda been there in the second round essentially same player. just wow"

Hindsight being 20/20, I misread how I thought everyone was going to draft. I wanted a strong D-man.  Thought if I passed on Makar, I would also miss out on Josi as scoring d-men are a high commodity.  I see now how I could have taken Shester still got Oettinger and drafted Josi.  Oh well, life goes on.  We all make mistakes.

Kicking myself for not going goalie first with 16 teams. Had no idea it wasn't a snake draft never done a non snake happy to get tkachuk who I love but I should have grabbed markstrom or demko or oettinger. Problem was I thought it was a snake draft until about five picks before it got to me and my brain froze. My own fault I was reading the league rules an hour before and missed it. Love my skaters not so much my goalies but think Peterson will end up with kings net. Still if I had to do it over shester woulda been my pick no question.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Took a bit of a different approach with my team this year in Hf.net.

Went right away with what I believe should be solid starting netminding.... Jack Campbell I think will put his experience in Tor and make it work for him in EDM....Hell Boy can't POSSIBLY have another bad year, even if his team isn't the best in front of him....and Jonathan Quick seemed a bit revitalized last season, and I think the old netminder as another good season or two left in him as his Kings continue to improve on all fronts.

Decided to go with more younger guys/newer guys, chancy picks this time around, that could turn into something no one expects.....starting on defense, with Owen Power, Alex Romanov.
And up front, with Andrei Kuzmenko, Nick Paul (first full season with a winning club? Let's go Paul!), and Tanner Jeannot.

Face offs should be a strength for me (Horvat, Dubois, Schenn, Haula, Stephenson, and the aforementioned Paul), but not JUST face off men....face off men with some offense and all around decent peripherals in various categories.

Caveats?
Well, if my 'youngsters' on defense (Ryan Pulock is my only real established, reliable vet) fall on their face and Tony DeAngelo DOESN'T thrive in Philadelphia, it could be disastrous.
And if the goaltending turns out to be a mirage (Quick really IS done, Hell Boy just can't overcome his inept skaters, and Jack Campbell turns back into a back up guy), that could also undermine me big time.

I like my forwards units as a whole, but will it be enough to carry the team if those other areas falter?
Don't know yet.

It is FHL pre-season, and EVERYONE is a contender....till the puck drops, and we possibly realize what pretenders we have on our squads! :shifty: 

How dare you draft my favorite goalie!

Well, its a 1 year league, so I forgive you lol

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

Kicking myself for not going goalie first with 16 teams. Had no idea it wasn't a snake draft never done a non snake happy to get tkachuk who I love but I should have grabbed markstrom or demko or oettinger. Problem was I thought it was a snake draft until about five picks before it got to me and my brain froze. My own fault I was reading the league rules an hour before and missed it. Love my skaters not so much my goalies but think Peterson will end up with kings net. Still if I had to do it over shester woulda been my pick no question.

I just realized there is a big "RIVALRY WEEK" banner above the overview and we play each other week 1 LOL

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

I just realized there is a big "RIVALRY WEEK" banner above the overview and we play each other week 1 LOL

I wouldn't want a 'rival'..
I wanna fly under the radar, sneak up on people, and have everyone at the end of the season say, "How the ^%$@ did SHE win!!??" :bigteeth:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Wellllll....maybe some deal could be worked out...hehe

Maybe. Well see how the first month goes and what the needs will be lol

Im pretty happy with my team though. I suspect I will be hunting SOG and points

10 hours ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

Yes! i realized in the Commish functions. I had the opportunity to make certain weeks “ Rivalry Week “. 😊

I know you two have had many of Epic Matches in the past.  Just another new element I added this year.

• Like 1

Interesting trade between Lady's Neats and J0e's Sharkniconadoes.

Two 'declining' players....but each with the potential to still offer in a few offensive categories.

LadyNeat gets Jonathan Toews, da Sharkas get Evgeni Malkinstein.

I think "Gino" ends up offering more offense (if he can keep from getting hurt), while, as J0e advertised, Toews will offer TONS of face offs to go along with some offense.

10 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Interesting trade between Lady's Neats and J0e's Sharkniconadoes.

Two 'declining' players....but each with the potential to still offer in a few offensive categories.

LadyNeat gets Jonathan Toews, da Sharkas get Evgeni Malkinstein.

I think "Gino" ends up offering more offense (if he can keep from getting hurt), while, as J0e advertised, Toews will offer TONS of face offs to go along with some offense.

Gino is excellent if healthy. Which is usually 50% of the time. Ppg player with ppp and shoots more. I lost a lot of faceoffs though and Toews is 2 years removed from his peak. He could bounce back and I might regret this.