Preseason Games

GrittyForever

maybe nobody watches them this year, there's no topic and really no point to break them all down separately but I did watch them beat the Beaners 2-1 today so felt I had to say something. 

It was bad hockey on both sides. 

2 goals, 2 fights. Will this be the equation this year? 

Torts watched from the press box rather than the bench. Interesting evaluation tactic I guess.  Nobody really impressed me but some of them were not terrible either. 

And who’s gonna watch Sabres at Caps pre-season matinee on Sunday while the Commanders host yer Eagles at the same time?  (And while the Bills play in Miami, at the same time???)

I mean yeah, pre-season, but look at the NFL schedule once in a while and try to avoid direct conflicts, ya scheduling knuckle-heads.  Should play this exhibition at 5 or 6 PM.

Caps TV play-by-play guy Joe Beninati did the Miami Ohio at Northwestern football game tonight.  How excited is he to take a red eye from Chicago to DC to announce the 1st preseason game?

13 hours ago, GrittyForever said:

Oh my did they ever stink against the Bruins today. You know you're in trouble when the highlight of the night is a McEwen fight, and even that wasn't a win. 

It's going to be a LONG season. 

Daughter and I left during the 3rd period...... my favorite quote of the night?

"Daddy, why do we root for the Flyers?!... the Bruins are "Maine's team"...."

And for the first time as a father, I had no good answer for her, and before I knew it I had actually apologized for bringing her!..... (it was kind of a low point in my "dad" career. And ROCK bottom as a flyers fan.)

But MAN.... DId she love the train ride! :)

(I hope Chuck Fletcher's daughter calls him tonight and just says "Why daddy..... why?" :mad:)

• Like 3

8 hours ago, MaineFlyFan said:

Daughter and I left during the 3rd period...... my favorite quote of the night?

"Daddy, why do we root for the Flyers?!... the Bruins are "Maine's team"...."

And for the first time as a father, I had no good answer for her, and before I knew it I had actually apologized for bringing her!..... (it was kind of a low point in my "dad" career. And ROCK bottom as a flyers fan.)

But MAN.... DId she love the train ride! :)

(I hope Chuck Fletcher's daughter calls him tonight and just says "Why daddy..... why?" :mad:)

The train ride was more enjoyable than the train wreck on the ice.

• Like 1

And from what I read tonight’s game vs the Isles was no better. Once again the Flyers’ offense scores just one goal. They did finally manage to score their 2nd PP goal of the preseason, on a 5 on 3, which makes the Flyers’ PP 2 for 20 over 5 games.

It’s preseason under a new HC but so far they look exactly the same as last year. No attack time just dumps and then off for a line change bc they spent their whole shift defending… fwds up ice while the D is still scrambling for an outlet, outworked in front of their own net….etc etc. Just bad hockey having nothing to do with a new coach.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

And from what I read tonight’s game vs the Isles was no better. Once again the Flyers’ offense scores just one goal. They did finally manage to score their 2nd PP goal of the preseason, on a 5 on 3, which makes the Flyers’ PP 2 for 20 over 5 games.

It’s preseason under a new HC but so far they look exactly the same as last year. No attack time just dumps and then off for a line change bc they spent their whole shift defending… fwds up ice while the D is still scrambling for an outlet, outworked in front of their own net….etc etc. Just bad hockey having nothing to do with a new coach.

Well I don't think the new coach has had time to change much yet so they are as you say exactly like last year. Give it some time before we are sure Torts can't fix anything. He isn't going to turn it around this year. All we can hope is he identifies the worst problems, they get rid of them, they deconstruct all they can, and they rebuild around a new identity. But it will take time. 

and of course, it might not even happen. 

• Like 1

Well, it is pre-season, but we are already in the Metro Conference cellar.  We better get used to it.

One observation:  Our drafting for goaltending and relative patience may pay off.  I wish that would carry over to other positions.   

Best to all,

Howie

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, FireDillabaugh said:

Agreed...  Too bad they still have the incompetence of Dillabaugh coaching them.  And, too bad they brought in a 33 year old, washed up, career AHLer to fill a roster spot instead of actually bringing in a much younger option that might actually belong on the ice and have a future in the organization.  Even if that future would just be an AHL future.  And, to top it off, the "talk" is actually saying the 33 year old, washed up stiff has a shot at the backup spot if Sandstrom is injured for a longer stretch of time.  Simply ridiculous.  Even in the few preseason games he's played, he clearly showed he just doesn't belong on the ice.  The guy makes Martin Jones look like an average goaltender, as sad as he was.

Dear FD,

Yeah, I listen to the chirp.  But I don't pay too much attention, particularly if Ersson continues to show promise.  Having a seasoned AHLer for LVH is probably not a bad thing.  I suspect Sandstrom and Ersson may end up higher on the depth chart.  Sadly, Fedotov is probably history.  I will try to be positive (hard given team history and my personality) and hope that goal isn't a problem for the squad this year.  If we are lucky, Torts gets them to play a more coherent defense to boot.  But the absence of "high end talent," plus aging may lead to very diminished scoring.  

BTW, who would be your choice to replace Dilabaugh if indeed he were fired?  

• Like 1