Minnesota Wild In-Season Thread 2022-23

Out: Hartman, Foligno, Greenway, now Duhaime....

Recall prospects: Petan, Swaney, Beckman, Cramarosa, Chaffee....

I'm like Lemaire, just call in a bench warmer and move Addison to a fourth-line wing slot, Goligoski picks up 6 spot on D.

Minnesota Wild General Manager Bill Guerin today announced the #mnwild    has recalled forwards Adam Beckman and Joseph Cramarossa from the Iowa Wild of the American Hockey League (AHL). In addition, the team has placed forwards Jordan Greenway and Ryan Hartman on IR

• Good Post 1

1 hour ago, Jimtown guy said:

Minnesota Wild General Manager Bill Guerin today announced the #mnwild    has recalled forwards Adam Beckman and Joseph Cramarossa from the Iowa Wild of the American Hockey League (AHL). In addition, the team has placed forwards Jordan Greenway and Ryan Hartman on IR

No doubt out of necessity these callups. Minnesota just losing A LOT of sandpaper, grit, and attitude with the injuries.

Not sure if Adam Beckman would help in any of those areas, but his WHL numbers suggest he has some offensive skill. He may be getting a shot to showcase that in the NHL...IF he can translate over to the toughest league in the world that is.

Cramarossa (for some reason I think of that CRAMBOOOO! song from one of the Tom and Jerry cartoons when I see that name :bigteeth:  ), is strictly a body to keep one of the 4th line spots warm.
At 30 years old and a mostly minor league journeyman, I don't expect him to impact the game in any other way than to bash bodies (if he can catch NHL speed players) and stick his nose in altercations and cause a bit of havoc along the boards.

He is no super tough guy, but he grinds enough to where he MIGHT be useful if he isn't exposed and/or matched up against any of the league's better players.

I don't know if the Wild got a shot at him, but the Maple Leaves® waived Nick Aube-Kubel, whom I thought may be worth a look for a team (like the Wild) looking for NHL level bottom six talent.
Alas, the Capitals made the claim and got him.

15 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

No doubt out of necessity these callups. Minnesota just losing A LOT of sandpaper, grit, and attitude with the injuries.

Not sure if Adam Beckman would help in any of those areas, but his WHL numbers suggest he has some offensive skill. He may be getting a shot to showcase that in the NHL...IF he can translate over to the toughest league in the world that is.

Cramarossa (for some reason I think of that CRAMBOOOO! song from one of the Tom and Jerry cartoons when I see that name :bigteeth:  ), is strictly a body to keep one of the 4th line spots warm.
At 30 years old and a mostly minor league journeyman, I don't expect him to impact the game in any other way than to bash bodies (if he can catch NHL speed players) and stick his nose in altercations and cause a bit of havoc along the boards.

He is no super tough guy, but he grinds enough to where he MIGHT be useful if he isn't exposed and/or matched up against any of the league's better players.

I don't know if the Wild got a shot at him, but the Maple Leaves® waived Nick Aube-Kubel, whom I thought may be worth a look for a team (like the Wild) looking for NHL level bottom six talent.
Alas, the Capitals made the claim and got him.

I think Beckman will be a nice helper (in Iowa he has 6 points(3 goals;3 assists; +/- +2 in 8 played games)), but not sure yet about Cramarossa (4 points (1 goal; 3 assists; +/- -1) in 8 played games in Iowa. I would bring also to try our Minnesotan Sammy Walker to the big club, who has so far in 9 played games in Iowa 10 points (5 goals; 5 assists; +/- +6).

Michael Russo

@RussoHockey

Greenway returns tomorrow, Cramarossa plays tomorrow, Aiming for Foligno to return in Seattle, which means it wouldn’t be surprising if Beckman plays in Anaheim. Evason wouldn’t say which goalie starts in LA.

#mnwild lines

Kaprizov-Gaudreau-Zuccarello

Greenway-Eriksson Ek-Boldy

Dewar-Rossi-Shaw

Jost-Steel-Cramarossa

Beckman-Foligno (may travel) not on regular line

Middleton-Spurgeon

Brodin-Dumba (reunited)

Merrill-Addison

Goligoski extra

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jimtown guy said:

D0883A64-5104-4813-AFD6-D4BA0D2015FE.jpeg

Interesting, that about 3-4 seasons ago we (fans) predicted as a future NHL-ers these prospects: Dewar; Duhaime; Beckman; and Shaw. And they  all became NHL-ers and became a good part of the big club. Shaw has now 5 points (2 goals; 3 assists; +/- +2) in 10 played games. Nice start from a talented and physical player.

• Like 1

Recalled from Iowa, goaltender Zane McIntyre. Born in Grand Forks, he played at Thief River Falls, for the Fargo Force then the University of North Dakota. While with the Force, he was a volunteer Bantam coach in Moorhead. 6-2, 205.

Edited by Icechipper

2 hours ago, Tomdog said:

I thought he showed promise last year. 
This year, not so much. 

He looked really good in pre season games but then again they were pre season games. I was hoping he’d stick since he’s a former UND player who made a huge mistake leaving after one year and he has admitted he should of stayed for another year if not 2

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jimtown guy said:

He looked really good in pre season games but then again they were pre season games. I was hoping he’d stick since he’s a former UND player who made a huge mistake leaving after one year and he has admitted he should of stayed for another year if not 2

Not sure if that was a problem. He played for 6 seasons in Avalanche team and received plenty of experience from such a good team, but it seems enough talent is missing so far for this player. Even for our team he had only 6 points (2 goals; 4 assists; +/- 0) in 21 played regular games  and 0 points (+/- 0) in 6 playoffs games last season. 

I think Sam Steel, Mason Shaw and Connar Dewar’s play really put an end to his chances. 
If those guys play had struggled he would have been given another chance. 
As it is when Greenway and Hartman get back Rossi will get sent back to Iowa. 

• Like 1

Rossi should be sent back to Iowa.  He's accomplishing next to nothing.  Yes, gaining some experience but its also clear the game is moving more than a bit too fast for him.  Beckman, meh.  I watch him Iowa and I see a player who isn't quite fast enough and isn't versatile enough to stick with an NHL club if he isn't scoring.  He's not pulling the trigger as much as he did when he first was with Iowa last season, but he's not burying those chances.  He gets set up with some great looks at the net but he doesn't score the way he did in junior.  

He's always been more of a scorer from the dots and he can't beat goaltenders the way he used to and I am not sure if he has that ability to adapt to score a different way.  

There is no easy solution for the Wild.  Even with the cap room they've gained from Jost being picked up by the Sabres it isn't enough to afford anyone that could really make a difference.  

I'm not sure why everyone is getting wound up over the Wild this season. They are basically rebuilding without calling it a rebuild. The injuries and goaltending aren't helping for sure. But when you introduce a lot of young guys, it's going to take time.

And let's not forget the $12M in dead money thanks to the Wonder Twins buyout. That's anywhere from 2 good players to 3 solid players that could help the team. And it's only going to get worse next year when the dead money goes up to $14.7M.

I’m not too worried about their play other than Dumba has definitely gone backwards. 
To me it looks like he is having a skating issue. He looks slow. 
Shaw, dewar, steel, Duhaime are looking like the bright spots of the season. 
Losing Hartman and Greenway may turn positive as it is forcing line alterations that probably would not have happened otherwise. 
Last year the Wild struggled when they needed to juggle lines. This year they are finding who fits into different combinations. 

4 minutes ago, IllaZilla said:

I'm not sure why everyone is getting wound up over the Wild this season. They are basically rebuilding without calling it a rebuild. The injuries and goaltending aren't helping for sure. But when you introduce a lot of young guys, it's going to take time.

And let's not forget the $12M in dead money thanks to the Wonder Twins buyout. That's anywhere from 2 good players to 3 solid players that could help the team. And it's only going to get worse next year when the dead money goes up to $14.7M.

I guess as a fan, regardless of where a team may be in its competitive cycle, you just want to see them win....buck the odds if you will.

But you are absolutely right.
Anyone who has been following this team for any length of time knew that these next few seasons were gonna be rough.
What with figuring out who to build around, who to keep around, who to get rid of, who is developing properly (and who isn't) in the lower leagues.....and not a whole lot of cap space to maneuver with.

That's where I am with this team.
My head understands the reality of what this team has to go through, although my heart still wants to see them put up W's because when I tune in, I still want to see a good competitive game that ends with the Wild on top!

And if the team has to rebuild in such a way that it DOESN'T feel like a rebuild to the players, then so be it.
One important factor I don't want to see lost from this team, whether they actually are good enough to win on the ice regularly or not, is a competitive mentality that should keep players motivated and maintain a culture of at least EXPECTING to win.

No need to go down the road of complete apathy, non motivation, or simply 'collecting a check' from the players. Because that will surely leave a stink that will be very hard to wash away even if the team does get ahold of good competitive players to build a contender...... see Buffalo, Arizona and for awhile, before Marty St. Louis took hold of the Montreal Canadiens, they too seemed to play with very little motivation.

3 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

I guess as a fan, regardless of where a team may be in its competitive cycle, you just want to see them win....buck the odds if you will.

But you are absolutely right.
Anyone who has been following this team for any length of time knew that these next few seasons were gonna be rough.
What with figuring out who to build around, who to keep around, who to get rid of, who is developing properly (and who isn't) in the lower leagues.....and not a whole lot of cap space to maneuver with.

That's where I am with this team.
My head understands the reality of what this team has to go through, although my heart still wants to see them put up W's because when I tune in, I still want to see a good competitive game that ends with the Wild on top!

And if the team has to rebuild in such a way that it DOESN'T feel like a rebuild to the players, then so be it.
One important factor I don't want to see lost from this team, whether they actually are good enough to win on the ice regularly or not, is a competitive mentality that should keep players motivated and maintain a culture of at least EXPECTING to win.

No need to go down the road of complete apathy, non motivation, or simply 'collecting a check' from the players. Because that will surely leave a stink that will be very hard to wash away even if the team does get ahold of good competitive players to build a contender...... see Buffalo, Arizona and for awhile, before Marty St. Louis took hold of the Montreal Canadiens, they too seemed to play with very little motivation.

I'm not saying fans should be apathetic about the team because they are a mess. I'm just saying maybe we need to temper expectations for the next few seasons, with both the team's record and players. And I get it's a long season and things could eventually turn around. But it's not like you have to win the division to make the playoffs when 50% of the teams make the playoffs. I'm just saying don't go planning a parade for the next several years.

I don't think the players on this team are just going through the motions, I think they are still trying to find themselves. Injuries, shaky goaltending, and introducing a slug of young guys have certainly thrown a spanner into the works. The going through the motions crew was during the Country Club years with the Wonder Twins. When all certain players had to do was call the owner when the coach tried to change things up. Where young players weren't supported by the veterans but were told to sit down and shut up.

And I don't think this team will end up like Arizona. Different beast. Arizona isn't concerned about winning. Arizona is concerned about spending the least amount of money to get to the cap floor. It's amazing to me how many times Bettman and the NHL have intervened to keep that team in Arizona, but they didn't lift a finger to keep the North Stars in Minnesota. But I digress.

Yes, I would love to see the team do well. But I've been a Minnesota Sports fan long enough to know that Minnesota teams tend to be teasers... 

• Like 1

I think this season will be a success if, as tropical fruit girl says, they figure out who to keep, who to build around, how to play with multiple line mates and who to trade for the greatest return. 
The hardest part I believe will be getting players to mesh well with multiple line combinations. Last year too many players only worked well when they were with the right players. That is not a good recipe for a long playoff run. 
If they can do all of that I won’t mind missing the playoffs.