Minnesota Wild In-Season Thread 2022-23

If Mat Dumba is indeed on his way out, one defenseman I wouldn't mind seeing on the Wild is Arizona's Shayne Gostisbehere.

Not sure if the numbers would work for the Wild, or whether they can convince him to stay for a reasonable team friendly contract (he is also a pending UFA), but he carries a 4.5 hit to Dumba's 6, he IS a year older at 29 though, but he has been much more productive, LOVES to shoot the puck either from the blue line or skate it towards the hashmarks for a shot, is a pretty swift skater, and does a pretty good job of blocking shots and will even hit a bit despite being of middling size.

In fact, Gostisbehere and Calen Addison's games could be very similar, with Gost obviously being the much more experienced player, but the Wild really don't have a legit offensive threat from the blue line...at least not until Addison gets up to NHL speed and production for his type of defenseman....and I would think a guy like Gostisbehere, adding a second defenseman with offensive instincts would go a long way towards splitting the opposition's coverage, and perhaps even help Addison's game by having him see first hand how a player of his ilk gets it done.

Again, all this is without knowing what Shayne's asking price would be as a free agent in the offseason, but from what I keep reading, the ask from Arizona themselves shouldn't be too high for him.....not like the top tier package they would be asking for someone like Jakob Chychrun anyways.

2 hours ago, Starofthenorth said:

Both have underperformed this season and have sadly made themselves expendable. Was hoping greenway would develop into a power forward like Tuch but he has regressed significantly.

Greenway has one of the ugliest skating strides for an nhl player I’ve ever seen. It actually looks painful 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Jimtown guy said:

The Minnesota Wild signed winger Matt Boldy to a seven-year pact with an average annual value of $7 million, the team announced Monday.

Boldy, 21, was slated to become a restricted free agent this summer.

The Massachusetts native currently sits fourth on the Wild with 12 goals and 29 points in 42 games so far this season while averaging just under 18 minutes of ice time per contest.

pact with an average annual value of $7 million, the team announced Monday.

Boldy, 21, was slated to become a restricted free agent this summer.

The Massachusetts native currently sits fourth on the Wild with 12 goals and 29 points in 42 games so far this season while averaging just under 18 minutes of ice time per contest.

I hope he earns it, and doesn’t go the path of Matt Dumba. 
Dumba’s contract looked similar when he signed it, just didn’t work out. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Starofthenorth said:

Both have underperformed this season and have sadly made themselves expendable. Was hoping greenway would develop into a power forward like Tuch but he has regressed significantly.

Greenway with his size should be more like Ek around the net but he doesn't seem to be doing much of anything close to that.
The GEEF line wouldn't be affected by losing Greenway in fact it could be even better with the likes of Hartman plugged in if they keep Steel with Kap and Zucc.

Edited by ClusterChuck
  • Like 1

I think Boldy will do fine after singing the 'Made it' contract. After a bit of a rough start this year, He seems to be back to being comfortable and like we saw last season.
I'd be fine with the consistency mixed in with gradual improvement as a way to "earn" his salary. As long as he doesn't put pressure on himself to feel he's earning it.

Rossi I could see patterning after Dumba if he got such a contract. Hasn't proven anything yet. Thankfully we didn't have cap space to give him big money early.

The Minnesota Wild are aiming to make a legitimate playoff run this spring. However, to keep up with their tough opponents in the Western Conference, they are trying to add a defenseman before the deadline passes. Due to this, they are expressing interest in Chicago Blackhawks defenseman Jake 

McCabe.

https://www.nhltraderumors.me/2023/01/nhl-rumors-minnesota-wild-chicago.html

• Good Post 1

3 hours ago, Jimtown guy said:

The Minnesota Wild are aiming to make a legitimate playoff run this spring. However, to keep up with their tough opponents in the Western Conference, they are trying to add a defenseman before the deadline passes. Due to this, they are expressing interest in Chicago Blackhawks defenseman Jake 

McCabe.

https://www.nhltraderumors.me/2023/01/nhl-rumors-minnesota-wild-chicago.html

"as he plays a very reliable game defensively and is never shy to throw the body. As a result, he is the perfect kind of player for a playoff team like the Wild to add."
That's what we sorely lack right now around our net.

• Like 1

It appears that the Matt Dumba sweepstakes are heating up, as NHL insider Frank Seravalli listed the Vegas Golden Knights as a potential landing spot for the Minnesota Wild defenseman.

The Golden Knights have never been afraid to make a big trade, and adding Dumba would just be the latest. It is clear that Minnesota is looking to trade the right-shot defenseman, and his market is starting to heat up because of it. Now, it appears that Vegas is the newest team looking to bring him in.

https://www.nhltraderumors.me/2023/01/wild-rumors-insider-links-dumba-to.html?m=1

• Like 2

"**Keep an eye on** Just my hunch, and not confirmed- but I have a feeling the the @mnwild will return to their North Stars kit setup full time (as they should). Undeniably these are some of the best in sports. " Weekes said in a tweet on Sunday.

https://www.markerzone.com/news/index.php?no=203826&fbclid=IwAR2rL1D9Lx7Px9Mtq6sEDCXhvAsgT5j0fohi2_WgZDiURJkhaX1thLB0OAo&mibextid=Zxz2cZ

2 hours ago, Jimtown guy said:

"**Keep an eye on** Just my hunch, and not confirmed- but I have a feeling the the @mnwild will return to their North Stars kit setup full time (as they should). Undeniably these are some of the best in sports. " Weekes said in a tweet on Sunday.

https://www.markerzone.com/news/index.php?no=203826&fbclid=IwAR2rL1D9Lx7Px9Mtq6sEDCXhvAsgT5j0fohi2_WgZDiURJkhaX1thLB0OAo&mibextid=Zxz2cZ

I wouldn't mind that.
But I DO hope they at least keep the current dark green home sweaters as thirds, as they did a good job with those as well.

Far cry from the Christmas color style red sweaters they used to wear at home, and no weird sleeve and shoulder stripes from the early 2000's either.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

I wouldn't mind that.
But I DO hope they at least keep the current dark green home sweaters as thirds, as they did a good job with those as well.

Far cry from the Christmas color style red sweaters they used to wear at home, and no weird sleeve and shoulder stripes from the early 2000's either.

Agree with everything and yes those red sweaters were awful 

10 hours ago, Jimtown guy said:

Agree with everything and yes those red sweaters were awful 

I never understood who thought red and green made a good color combination for a uniform. New Jersey tried it and their unis were horrible until they went to red and black...

The late 1990s and early 2000s was a dark era in terms of jersey design and overall aestethic. It's at that period were you had the most ugliest jerseys and color combination across the league.

Just my 2¢ but I think the Wild will likely keep the current RR as a longterm third alternate jersey or maybe have them as the primary home jersey with the current dark red as alternates (the white away jersey remain unchanged). I'd lean towards this option because the Wild doesn't have an official alternate jersey yet and the current scheme has been designed not a long time ago (maybe 5-6 years ?). Therefore, I don't see them going to a major revamp of the color scheme again and go into a big identity crisis à la Buffalo style. And if you want to go that route, then you go in a full rebrand and this usually go with an ownership change, new arena, or something else big.

You can't dump the current color scheme just because of the mechadising and all related products in a still struggling market that has been severely affected by the pandemic. The League and teams are trying to add options in their palette, not subtracting them. Another thing is that you have now a whole new generation that grew up and identifies itself as the Wild and doesn't care at all about the North Stars: bringing their colors on a permanent basis (even if the combo is beautiful) won't be really appealing or meaningful to them I guess. Having the current RR as alternates would be a good compromise. 

• Good Post 1

9 hours ago, Math said:

The late 1990s and early 2000s was a dark era in terms of jersey design and overall aestethic. It's at that period were you had the most ugliest jerseys and color combination across the league.

Just my 2¢ but I think the Wild will likely keep the current RR as a longterm third alternate jersey or maybe have them as the primary home jersey with the current dark red as alternates (the white away jersey remain unchanged). I'd lean towards this option because the Wild doesn't have an official alternate jersey yet and the current scheme has been designed not a long time ago (maybe 5-6 years ?). Therefore, I don't see them going to a major revamp of the color scheme again and go into a big identity crisis à la Buffalo style. And if you want to go that route, then you go in a full rebrand and this usually go with an ownership change, new arena, or something else big.

You can't dump the current color scheme just because of the mechadising and all related products in a still struggling market that has been severely affected by the pandemic. The League and teams are trying to add options in their palette, not subtracting them. Another thing is that you have now a whole new generation that grew up and identifies itself as the Wild and doesn't care at all about the North Stars: bringing their colors on a permanent basis (even if the combo is beautiful) won't be really appealing or meaningful to them I guess. Having the current RR as alternates would be a good compromise. 

And that's what the league wants and should focus on, The next gen fans. I obviously grew up a North Star's fan but they are gone. Long layoff and we got a new team with a new look. While I understand the Red-Green combo and then the confusing Man-Bear-Pig logo, Both are not what I was hoping in a new look team.
The Wild Org has been pushing the retros I thought for marketing sales but now it looks like they're trying to make it the main jersey. They've gone from what I heard way past the amount of games planned to wear them.
IF Dallas didn't retain the name, (Too easy of a switch for them) Then I'd be all for getting the band back together name and all but we can't have 2 teams with 'Stars' in it.
I still have the nice Black jersey from the Transistion year when it just said 'Stars'. 

Either way, Fleury has to ditch those VGK-esque god awful goldish orange pads. 😂

Edited by ClusterChuck

I attended the North Stars season opener in October of 1993 at Met Center.....night before running Twin Cities Marathon. Broten had just returned from Germany after a hold out and stood on bench in his civvies. The team had black sweaters with a simple green star, no "North." Knew then and there the team was gone (to Texas).

All teams now, it seems, subtly change palettes and shades on whim. The Original Six are the only ones that stay semi-true to original hues.

Russo seems to be pretty convinced, they will just serve as thirds. And that makes sense: the organization won't take the risk to alienate its younger and more versatile fanbase. The Wild identity is linked to their original colors, logo and name, even if they are not fortunate.

The only way they change would be if the fans stop buying the original jersey. 
I prefer the RR simply because it is brighter. Forget the North Stars link. We aren’t the North Stars anymore, that ship has sailed. The RR is simply a better jersey. 

• Like 4

On 1/31/2023 at 7:46 AM, Tomdog said:

The only way they change would be if the fans stop buying the original jersey. 
I prefer the RR simply because it is brighter. Forget the North Stars link. We aren’t the North Stars anymore, that ship has sailed. The RR is simply a better jersey. 

I agree. The retro is brighter, and it seems the Wild team plays better and luckier in that uniform. The question is why? Maybe because of nostalgic notes that our predecessor ("North Stars") was an example of a nice NHL team which we must respect as a historic aspect.  I am sure, definitely, among our fans this Reverse Retro jerseys will be very popular especially if the team will show a winning character in that uniform and will bring us to a higher level in playoffs standings. Hopefully, we will be able to pass 2 rounds this playoffs season. In my opinion, this is our minimal goal so far.

2 hours ago, Alexandron said:

Here is an interesting article from hockeywilderness.com link about predicting the rest of the Wild regular season:

https://www.hockeywilderness.com/2023/1/31/23580164/minnesota-wild-season-review-kaprizov-nhl-prediction

I saw that too. Glad you posted it so we can check back on how they did.
I didn't agree with many of the picks but the overall record I do. 
The projected points difference from last season was an easy one given Fiala gone and the magic/Career years by a few gone also.

Only way to change that is to make some moves during this break. 

Boeser-to-Minnesota has been a dream of Wild fans since the Wild passed on him in the 2015 Draft to select Joel Eriksson Ek. So it’s natural to think, now that he’s on the trade block, a homecoming for the Burnsville native might be in order.

https://zonecoverage.com/2023/wild/minnesota-wild-nhl-trade-rumors-deadline-brock-boeser-vancouver-canucks/

The Wild did right in 2015. Eriksson Ek is a better and more complete player that can still improve. Boeser may be a good sniper but is a one-dimensional player that brings nothing else. I'd pass on him.

• Good Post 1