Minnesota Wild vs Pittsburgh Penguins, Thursday 11-17-22, 7:00pm, Xcel Energy Center

MNSOTA

8 hours ago, Tomdog said:

How do you bring in Wallstedt without him tearing up the AHL?

You don't. He's not ready. Let him develop and when he is ready, then bring him up. Don't introduce him to this dumpster fire now, it'll only wreck his confidence.

This team way over performed last season. Look at the number of players that had career years: Hartman, Foligno, Zuccarello, Ericksson-Ek, Fiala, Spurgeon, Kulikov, Gadreau. Now a good chunk of them are either injured or not on the team.

And this is what happens when you sort of rebuild. Young guys are going to need time to figure each other out and get used to the speed of the game. And if the goaltending is shaky, then players start to cheat more and the whole thing collapses like a house of cards. We've seen this before with the Wild.

• Like 2

I agree with @IllaZillalet Jesper Wallstedt stay and play in Iowa.  They made the right move by calling up Zane McIntyre and letting Wallstedt man the fort in Des Moines along with Hunter Jones.  

I also agree with his points about this club way overachieving last season and adding in the loss of Fiala and you see a team playing to where its true level is.  Especially with the injuries.  

No one should be surprised by this.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

I agree with @IllaZillalet Jesper Wallstedt stay and play in Iowa.  They made the right move by calling up Zane McIntyre and letting Wallstedt man the fort in Des Moines along with Hunter Jones.  

I also agree with his points about this club way overachieving last season and adding in the loss of Fiala and you see a team playing to where its true level is.  Especially with the injuries.  

No one should be surprised by this.  

Agree with everything 

19 hours ago, Icechipper said:

Give the net to McIntyre.

Not sure about McIntyre. He played 8 NHL games in 2016-2017 season(0-4-1) then after he never played in NHL but changed 6 AHL teams since 2015-2016 season and also he played only in 6 KHL games ( 0-2-0; GAA 4.65; SV% 0.796). For this season he played so far in Iowa 7 games(4-3-0).  I still would bring Wallstedt to the big club for a tryout who played 5 games(1-1-3) so far(not a lot yet) in AHL, but played pretty well for the big club during preseason this fall. Other clubs are not afraid to experiment with their young prospects goalies in case if this will help to improve a current club's standing position. I remember Flyers tried in one season 8 goalies prospects and found Hart. Carter Hart 24 y.o. goalie is playing for 5 seasons already in NHL since he was 19 y.o. Jesper Wallstedt is 20 y.o., but looks as a very matured player who also played for Sweden team at U-18 and U-20 international competitions. Professional hockey is a real business, which is never care about ruining the prospect, his stats or not to ruin. If goalie is merit attention, then why should not to try. We are now at 6th place in Central Division. Predators and Blues are in front of our team now. We must to start producing more goals and points. 

8 hours ago, Alexandron said:

Not sure about McIntyre. He played 8 NHL games in 2016-2017 season(0-4-1) then after he never played in NHL but changed 6 AHL teams since 2015-2016 season and also he played only in 6 KHL games ( 0-2-0; GAA 4.65; SV% 0.796). For this season he played so far in Iowa 7 games(4-3-0).  I still would bring Wallstedt to the big club for a tryout who played 5 games(1-1-3) so far(not a lot yet) in AHL, but played pretty well for the big club during preseason this fall. Other clubs are not afraid to experiment with their young prospects goalies in case if this will help to improve a current club's standing position. I remember Flyers tried in one season 8 goalies prospects and found Hart. Carter Hart 24 y.o. goalie is playing for 5 seasons already in NHL since he was 19 y.o. Jesper Wallstedt is 20 y.o., but looks as a very matured player who also played for Sweden team at U-18 and U-20 international competitions. Professional hockey is a real business, which is never care about ruining the prospect, his stats or not to ruin. If goalie is merit attention, then why should not to try. We are now at 6th place in Central Division. Predators and Blues are in front of our team now. We must to start producing more goals and points. 

1-1-3 in the AHL is not tearing it up. If he can turn that start into 10-2-3 with a gaa of .950, then bring him up for a short time to see what he needs to work on. 
Until then patients. 

I watched the Iowa game last night against Milwaukee.  Wallstedt got the start.  He gave up 6 goals, 3 of which were pretty soft.  Not saying that alone confirms why he shouldn't be called up, but I don't think its fair to him nor does it serve the team's long term goals to put him in a Kobayashi Maru scenario.  

McIntyre isn't being brought up to supplant Gustavsson or Fleury.  He's being brought up to fill in as backup.  Its really meaningless and he's been Iowa's best goaltender this season, so from a basic standpoint of who's playing the best to earn a call up McIntyre's that guy.  

I am not going to throw stones at Gustavsson if he struggles; he's not our ace and that's not on him, that's on Bill Guerin.  

8 hours ago, Tomdog said:

Wallstedt struggleing isn’t surprising at all considering he has to get used to a smaller rink. 
I never played goalie but I would think his perception of angles would be off. 

I don't think it was angles that had anything to do with the 3 softies he gave up on Friday.  They were unscreened shots from a distance.  I think he realizes there is an adjustment to that; but that wasn't the problem on Friday.