Game 23: New York Islanders at Philadelphia Flyers; 11/29/22 @ 7:30, ESPN+, HULU

Howie58

Greetings:

We are underdogs (+144).  During our 10 game losing streak, we have averaged 2.0 goals a game, and given up 3.9.  That speaks volumes.  At some point the youngsters need to start scoring, and our defense has to chip in (Chris Maher has a good Youtube video on Sanheim's regression from last year).   

I don't have the ESPN+ gig and have work to boot, so I'll look forward to comments.  If I'm Torts or the players, I say a few nights back we entered the third tied at two after playing some good hockey, then imploded.  Can they avoid that mess?  

The Flyers play their best, most complete game and it figures it's not televised. The Isles played well but the Flyers were the better team tonight. Sorokin is one of the best goalies in the league and the Isles have no holes in their roster. The Flyers got great goaltending from Hart; team defense was solid all night.

2 (pretty entertaining) fights in the first 8 seconds...carryover from the game in NY.

Travis Sanheim with the shortie.

Kevin Hayes 2 goals...if he keeps putting up points who knows...I can dream...maybe he'll have some value at the TD. Fletcher won't part with him of course but part of the dream is Fletcher is long gone by then.

All in all a great game by the O&B I wish you coulda seen it!

• Like 1

I was just looking at the highlights and some of the reporting. Apparently, you might add Risto to trade talk. Two reporters said it was his best game as a Flyer. He had 12 shots for with 7 against on the ice, with blocks, hits, and whatever. He was on the top line with Provy. 

Yes, after a ten-game losing streak, the bar is probably low.  That said, a win is a win, and possibly a sign of some growth.  As for Risto, I think the Brains Trust wants him to take less risk on open-ice hitting and focus on defense close to goal.  Maybe he is unlearning some bad habits. 

As for Hayes, the guy is averaging nearly a point a game on a bad team. We take it at face value for the time being, for better or worse. Was his term too long? Yep. Too much salary, check?  Will we get our money's worth?  Not sure.  Meanwhile, he will probably be a pillar during a tough season.  If he can contribute to the growth of youngsters, it may be worth it.  

We had one even strength, one shorty, and one EN.  That keeps us around two goals scored per game.  Carter outdueled Sorokin.  Otherwise, we might be at 11.  There won't be many wins averaging two goals.  So sip the champagne......or whatever, 'cause we may not see many wins at this scoring rate.

3 hours ago, Howie58 said:

If he can contribute to the growth of youngsters, it may be worth it.  

If your youngsters learn to play from Haysee, your team ain't winning squat. 

Last man back may be admirable in war, but in hockey it isn't. 

Edited by flyercanuck
  • Thanks 1

Well supposedly Atkinson is back if not Thursday then the next game. And TK I think is about a week away, JVR not far behind. So they should get some offensive support in the near future. I doubt it’ll help the W/L record very much but it’d be nice to see more Flyers goals.

FC just covered my next topic I’ll just agree and reiterate that the only positive from Hayes at pt/g this year is that maybe, if the hockey gods are good to us, he’ll get traded at the TD.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Kevin Hayes 2 goals...if he keeps putting up points who knows...I can dream...maybe he'll have some value at the TD.

I know. He is on pace for a 80 point season.

And you'll still have to pick up a lot of salary but give me a number....sold.

Just utter anything.

• Like 1