Game 31: Philadelphia Flyers at New Jersey Devils; 12/15/22 @ 7 PM, NBCSP

Howie58

The Flyers are the heavy underdog (+285) despite the Devils playing .500 hockey over the last 10.  The predicted score is 4-3 Devils:

https://www.cappertek.com/article.asp?a=flyers-vs-devils-betting-odds-free-picks-and-predictions-12-15-2022-296105

Statistically, take a gander at the faceoff percentage differences between the clubs:

https://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/phi-vs-njd/2022/12/15/2022020473

We are at 2-18 over the last 20.  Sadly, that speaks volumes.  

Edited by Howie58

4 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

So, just like every game.

FYI, BSH and Carchidi did pieces that strongly support your "thesis."  Hart started the season with an unsustainable save percentage, particularly against high danger shots.  As the season's progressed, his save percentage has declined and expected goals against has increased.  What's strange to me is the lack of goal production with Sandstrom in net...even lower than Hart's by over a third a goal.  I guess Felix isn't as inspiring.

Both pieces suggest that coaching hasn't made as much difference as we think.  Ultimately, this team's talent level is the problem.

• Like 1

The Flyers underlying metrics have been better since the win vs St Louis. 

Middle of the pack xG and they've been much better through the neutral zone.

This is according to stat monger Charlier O'Conner's latest article in the Athletic

Are Philadelphia Flyers’ underlying stats as good as this season can get? - The Athletic

So, I don't think they're going to get "blown out" very much the rest of the way, if all things remain the same.

They are controlling play a lot more at 5 v 5 than they were at the beginning of the season.

There may be a few games during the season where they really suck see the game vs Pgh on Black Friday.

They aren't going to win a lot of games, they're going to play to the best of their abilities and lose a bunch. This is the Tortorella effect starting to show. 

It's so hard to watch maximum effort continually come up short.

Sandstrom's slash line doesn't look great, but adjusted to quality chances against, he's a typical NHL goalie. So he's not a or the problem.

Sandstrom is fine.

The last 2 weeks play is what I'm expecting to see from the Flyers for the remainder of the season.

I don't know how much more I'm going to watch this season until some things change.

It's not pleasant, I feel the frustration and hoplessness that everyone else does.

In my sporting life I've played on a couple of hopelessly bad teams. It is a killer of joy. It can be used for motivation as though, our worst season in summer ball we were all 13 playing against a lot of teams with 15 year olds. We made a list of the team that really ran it up on us and we paid those teams back when we got good.

I can only hope that a list is being compiled and some guys get to experience some pay back too. 

Edited by mojo1917
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

So, just like every game.

Not at all. We keep the vast majority of games very close and grind well and come out on the bad end of 1 goal games. If nobody else, Hart often keeps it close. 

In this case however they simply have too much speed and skill so I expect a blowout. 

4 hours ago, GrittyForever said:

Not at all. We keep the vast majority of games very close and grind well and come out on the bad end of 1 goal games.

Lol I've tried too...doesn't even make a dent. Anyway at this point I think Hart's Save% is .909. His sky-high numbers are a distant memory.

edit: as bad as Hart's numbers are he's still playing very well imo. He's a big reason the games don't spiral into blowouts. Not the only reason but a big one.

Edited by GratefulFlyers

I picked a bad night for my post it's all Hart tonight. Devils are just working harder - and smarter. Provorov having a rocky night but he's not alone everyone is sloppy with the puck. So many TOs...

Flyers have played 12 games when they've entered the 3rd tied - like tonight. They've won just 1 of those 12 games.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

I picked a bad night for my post it's all Hart tonight. Devils are just working harder - and smarter. Provorov having a rocky night but he's not alone everyone is sloppy with the puck. So many TOs...

Flyers have played 12 games when they've entered the 3rd tied - like tonight. They've won just 1 of those 12 games.

Hopefully it will be there 2nd. It will help Pittsburgh a little bit! Go Flyers! (Can't believe I said that!)

• Haha 1

Flyers win in regulation - first road win since Nov. 5th in Ottawa.

Hart with 48 saves. Konecny (12), Laughton PPG (5). Flyers outshot 49-24.

Jack Hughes is wicked fast.

No Hayes in the 3rd - didn't see him get hurt I think Tortorella benched him.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Flyers win in regulation - first road win since Nov. 5th in Ottawa.

Hart with 48 saves. Konecny (12), Laughton PPG (5). Flyers outshot 49-24.

Jack Hughes is wicked fast.

It's about time the Flyers won a road game! Hart should be 1st star. 

If Flyers fan wouldn't mind me saying, start drafting top notch dmen. Gt another Cory Hart.

2 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

Yeah, this is how we will win games until more offense is generated. They didn't blow it after taking the lead. That was a pleasant surprise. 

Would like to see the Bluejackets buried in last place. I'm not sure why. I'm not a big fan of that team. Which part of the reason I like to see the Flyers win.

3 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Lol I've tried too...doesn't even make a dent. Anyway at this point I think Hart's Save% is .909. His sky-high numbers are a distant memory.

edit: as bad as Hart's numbers are he's still playing very well imo. He's a big reason the games don't spiral into blowouts. Not the only reason but a big one.

Feeling refreshed? :)

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Just like old times! 😆 

That really was a throwback game tonight to the Flyers of October. 

Agreed, and it's pretty much the way they have to play against teams like that. They can't match up to the skill level at this stage so "be difficult to play against" as Torts says. He must have been happy tonight. 

14 hours ago, GrittyForever said:

Not at all. We keep the vast majority of games very close and grind well and come out on the bad end of 1 goal games. If nobody else, Hart often keeps it close. 

In this case however they simply have too much speed and skill so I expect a blowout. 

Hart stands on his head.

What I meant was Hart has to stand on his head for us to win. Not that he was doing it every game.

Edited by flyercanuck

7 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

I picked a bad night  season  decade for my post it's all Hart tonight. Devils are just working harder - and smarter. Provorov having a rocky night but he's not alone everyone is sloppy with the puck. So many TOs...

FIFY

7 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Tortsie for GM!!!!!! At least he knows a real hockey player when he sees one. I'm joking of course, but I'd bet he'd do a better job even though he's never done it.

Edited by flyercanuck
  • Thanks 1