Sabres, Cozens extension, 7 yrs $49 Million

Brewin Flames

Sabres sign F Cozens to seven-year, $49.7M extension

Dylan Cozens - The Canadian Press

TSN.ca Staff
Published 

The Buffalo Sabres signed forward Dylan Cozens to a seven-year, $49.7 million contract extension on Monday.

The 22-year-old will carry a cap hit of $7.1 million under the new deal, which begins next season. He was previously scheduled for restricted free agency this summer.

Cozens is in the midst of a career year in Buffalo, with 17 goals and 43 points in 49 games. He had 13 goals and 38 points in 79 games a year ago.

Selected seventh overall by the Sabres in 2019, Cozens has 34 goals and 94 points in 169 career games.

Cozens is the third player to sign a long-term deal with the Sabres in the past six months. He joins Tage Thompson, who signed a seven-year, $50 million contract in August, and defenceman Mattias Samuelsson, who signed for $30 million on a seven-year deal in October. 

Forwards Jeff Skinner ($9 million cap hit) and Alex Tuch (4.75 million) are the only other members of the team signed through at least 2025-26.

Sabres agree to terms with Cozens on 7-year contract extension

Forward has 43 points in 49 games

by Jourdon LaBarber @jourdonlabarber / Sabres.com
 12:43 PM
cut.png

Dylan Cozens delivered one of the signature moments of the Sabres' season to date last month, after the team had retired the number of beloved former goaltender Ryan Miller. Cozens scored the overtime winner that night on a breakaway, sending a sold-out KeyBank Center into a frenzy. 

Afterward, Cozens gave the game-winning stick to Miller's son, Bodhi, and talked about what it meant to him to play in Buffalo. 

"It's just a great feeling," Cozens said. 

There are more moments to come. The Sabres and Cozens, 22, agreed to terms Tuesday on a seven-year contract extension worth $49.7 million.  

The Sabres have now signed three members of their core to seven-year contracts in the past six months, all of whom are under the age of 26. Tage Thompson, 25, signed a $50 million contract in August. Mattias Samuelsson, 22, signed for $30 million in October. 

Cozens, the seventh-overall pick by the Sabres in 2019, is having a career year in his third NHL season. He has 17 goals and 43 points in 49 games, both eclipsing the career-best totals he set in 79 contests last season. His 0.88 points per game ranks second among players from his draft class, behind first-overall selection Jack Hughes. 

Cozens endeared himself to Buffalo early with his combination of speed, skill, and a workmanlike attitude. He memorably fought the New York Rangers' Ryan Lindgren as a 20-year-old rookie in 2021. Last season, he delivered a crushing open-ice hit on Toronto's Auston Matthews late in the outdoor Heritage Classic, then banged on the glass as a spectator while his teammates put the finishing touches on a victory.

Cozens took steps toward a leadership role in the offseason, watching Rochester Americans playoff games from a suite and later driving to visit prospects during development camp in July. He spent the majority of this season centering two rookies in JJ Peterka and Jack Quinn, both of whom have credited Cozens with easing their transitions to the NHL. 

Cozens matched his off-ice maturity with physical growth. Teammates and coaches praised him for looking and playing beyond his years shortly after training camp opened in September.

Sabres coach Don Granato attributes Cozens' success to one factor above all.

"I keep saying the same thing about him, it's compete," Granato said in December. "Just couple that with love of the game that he has, the love of the game hockey. He competes for the right reason being in a team sport. He brings guys in with him, he drags people into the fight, per se, which is a real indicator of his leadership and leadership ability going forward. 

"There's so many things, so many elements for Dylan. … We can assess his skill set, and I guess that's somewhat simple and getting better by the day. But it's the intangibles that separate him."

Edited by Brewin Flames

2 hours ago, Holymakinaw said:

This is a good deal.  Cozens will be a hard-working, talented guy, for years to come.  He could hit 25-30 goals this season, along with 65 points.  Not bad for his 3rd year in the league.  

Ya, but we got Kevin Hayes heading into his twilight for the same price.

No wonder we suck.

The Sabres are setting up nicely for a very long run near the top of the ladder:

-Two stud defensemen, one of whom would be a #1 on any team and the other, Power, is only 20 years old, and is already a strong #2 on his way to being a #1.

-Tage Thompson, Cozens, Jost at C and a bunch of decent wingers.

-Still have a lot of first round picks marinating: Isak Rosen, Noah Ostlund, Matt Savoie and Jiri Kulich.

-Their main issue is goaltending, but have lots of cap space and will have zero dead cap after Cody Hodgson comes off the books this summer.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, JR Ewing said:

The Sabres are setting up nicely for a very long run near the top of the ladder:

-Two stud defensemen, one of whom would be a #1 on any team and the other, Power, is only 20 years old, and is already a strong #2 on his way to being a #1.

-Still have a lot of first round picks marinating: Isak Rosen, Noah Ostlund, Matt Savoie and Jiri Kulich.

-Their main issue is goaltending, but have lots of cap space and will have zero dead cap after Cody Hodgson comes off the books this summer.

Cody Hodgson. Heh. The Bobby bonilla of hockey lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, JR Ewing said:

Agree with your take, JR, but I'd also add they could use another experienced NHL caliber defenseman.

With time the younger blue liners they have will mature, but for now, I still see lots of panic, scrambling, and general chaos when teams pressure the Buffalo defense, oftentimes leaving the goaltender to fend for himself.
Lots of mistakes made in coverage and overcommitting that COULD be mitigated and stabilized with a battle tested, veteran defenseman.

Regarding Cozens here, seems a good fit for what the Sabres are doing, good deal for BUF and their fans.

• Good Post 1

5 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Agree with your take, JR, but I'd also add they could use another experienced NHL caliber defenseman.

With time the younger blue liners they have will mature, but for now, I still see lots of panic, scrambling, and general chaos when teams pressure the Buffalo defense, oftentimes leaving the goaltender to fend for himself.
Lots of mistakes made in coverage and overcommitting that COULD be mitigated and stabilized with a battle tested, veteran defenseman.

Regarding Cozens here, seems a good fit for what the Sabres are doing, good deal for BUF and their fans.

I'd wait for another year (entering their window of competing) if I were them but, yes, I agree with that.

On 2/7/2023 at 7:53 PM, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

I agree with JR.  MAIN ISSUE IS GOALTENDING.   I give Luukenen a shot of course rest of season, throwing the other two in on back to backs.  But if things do not improve, I dump all 3 and go fishing.  One thing we have always had in our history is good goaltending with the exception of the 1975 Finals when we were only 5 years into the league. But since then, Sauve, Edwards, Hasek , Miller.  Now is it Luukenen  He has shown signs of being the guy.  But then he has also showed he needs more seasoning.  I am not sure how long we wait.  With decent goaltending we can take out the Penguins and Capitals right now with this young team.  But time will tell.  They have a ton of games in hand but must win them.  It starts with improving at home.  I am all in on the Cozens thing.  We have to keep him obviously.  Dahlin, Power, Tage Thompson, Olofsson, are for sure keepers. I also add Samuelson to that list and they agree as he was exteneded.  I am not in agreement with Jokuharu  I just a not high on him. If he gets a return, I trade him. Quinn and Paterka are keepers too.  

2 hours ago, Hockey Junkie said:

I agree with JR.  MAIN ISSUE IS GOALTENDING.

Goaltending is playing a role, but this is a team that also had Ullmark and Lehner and discarded both as unworkable.

Lehner blossomed in Vegas and Ullmark is dominant in Boston.

So, yeah, an upgrade from Anderson and Comrie is needed, but not so sure about dumping UPL after half a season. He's already 20th on the all time Sabres wins list.

Team defense is key, as we've seen that Ullmark isn't quite so dominant when he's not behind a team like Boston. He's not the only reason they're the stingiest team in hockey.

That said, if there's a solid starter to be had - by all means go get him.

26 minutes ago, radoran said:

Goaltending is playing a role, but this is a team that also had Ullmark and Lehner and discarded both as unworkable.

Lehner blossomed in Vegas and Ullmark is dominant in Boston.

So, yeah, an upgrade from Anderson and Comrie is needed, but not so sure about dumping UPL after half a season. He's already 20th on the all time Sabres wins list.

Team defense is key, as we've seen that Ullmark isn't quite so dominant when he's not behind a team like Boston. He's not the only reason they're the stingiest team in hockey.

That said, if there's a solid starter to be had - by all means go get him.

Ullmark is a present day Marty Biron or the other guy who was Millers backup I can’t bring to mind at this moment.  Lehner I will never miss.  Sucks on breakaways.  You don’t mention Luukenen.  I am not giving up on him.  He was on fire and then that numbskull Adams sent him down for who knows why?   Still believe Sabres played that Flyers game under protest of that crap. The shots on goal showed they went for a Sunday skate at the pond vs a not so scary defense 

23 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

You don’t mention Luukenen.

You might want to look into who "UPL" is.

24 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

He was on fire and then that numbskull Adams sent him down for who knows why?

This has been explained in detail many times. It was a paper transaction that lasted for all of a game.

• Uggh... 1