Which teams have realistic chance at winning the cup in 22-23?

yave1964

1 hour ago, yave1964 said:

I snagged Bouchard the very moment that they made the Ekholm in Barrie out moves. 

Bouchard has 50-55 point Morgan Reilly lite written all over him. He was given the shot early in the year and clearly was not ready, but a half a season on the second unit helped him rebuild his confidence and he has been damn good, not great but IMHO damn good since the trade (s). 

IDK man, Edmonton DOES lack the clear number one, but a core of Nurse who i absolutely love, Bouchard, Ekholm, that is not bad at all. The problem is from there Ceci and Kulal are just bodies, nothing more, Broberg has done nothing to show that he is ready to step into a top four role, Biemelainen is simply not a realistic option, a 26 year old nobody named Vincent Desharnais has come from the ash pit and stabilized the defense, i really believe he is fools gold. I absolutely love the top three, after that it is cringy. I believe this is beyond dispute.

Bouchard - has run with the opportunity given when Barrie was traded. Scored 14 points in 16 games, and that's what they want from a PP defenseman, and has formed a good synergistic pairing with Ekholm, who has been terrific since arriving. When Bouchard is on the ice, the Oilers score 58% of the goals.

Came across this one:

Vincent Desharnais - Has things you can't teach in huge size and wingspan. Plays a heavy and delightfully nasty game: Arber Xhekaj tried Desharnais in a fight and had his arm ripped out of his socket for his troubles, ending his season. Pre-expansion, the NHL used to be loaded with this type of defenseman: guys who learn in the AHL and show up as rookies, but very experienced pros. He didn't come out of nowhere so much as it may seem, as Woodcroft felt he was NHL-ready for a couple of years, but he suffered injuries which had him finishing his seasons in the AHL upon recovery. The Oilers are 24-5-6 with him in the lineup and get 65% of the goals while he's out there. He's crushing it with his 3rd pairing minutes, and is part of a group of players added to the roster which make the team a lot less fun to play against than in previous years.

1 hour ago, yave1964 said:

That is the problem with todays cap era. You simply cannot fill all the spots with top level talent the way the 2002 Wings did when they bought a cup in 2002 bringing in Robitaille, Hull and Hasek in one spectacular offseason.  Every team has a hole or two to fill, in the Oilers case it is the back end of the blueline. 

I agree with @JR Ewing the Oil forwards are easily by far the best in this incantation. They may be enough to carry the forwards. Someone on the back end may get a chip on their shoulder the way that Kadri did last year and say, we are sick of hearing we are the weak link and step up and be a 30 minute a night force like Pronger was years ago. I truly could see Nurse doing exactly that. I also could see a good coach playing against them especially with last change exploiting matchups on the back end and grinding down the bottom pair and even the middle pair on the back end. That said in todays cap era they have as good a shot as anyone to come out of the West.

Holland has done major corrective surgery on this team. Feast your eyes on the lineup he inherited:

Khaira - McDavid - Rattie

Lucic - Draisaitl - Puljujarvi

Rieder - RNH - Spooner

Gambardella - Brodziak - Kassian

Nurse - Larsson

Jones - Petrovic

Manning - Benning

He had one of the greatest players ever, a future HOFer, a very good #3 centre in RNH and literally nothing else at foward. What a miracle it was when Holland somehow fobbed Lucic off to the Flames. He had a very good defenseman in Nurse and lost Larsson to free agency because he didn't want to go to work across the street from where his father died.

--------

EDIT - in all of this, I forgot to add: not an off-the-wall pick, but the Bruins are set up to run the board this Spring, imo.

Edited by JR Ewing

@JR Ewing

My cup final is Edmonton and Toronto. I think Boston has been so good for so long this season that they wont be able to find another gear in the second round, kind of like Detroit in 1996 when they set a record for wins in a season and lost to Colorado in the Western finals. All Canada finals.

1 hour ago, Math said:

The Flames really don't want to be part of the playoffs.

0-3-1 against Chicago this season. When they hit the golf course in a week that is the reason why.. 

So vladar or markstrom tonight? Does it matter?

Edited by yave1964

1 hour ago, Math said:

The Flames really don't want to be part of the playoffs.

Playoff Odds for Winnipeg and Calgary

image.png

No, they don't have a real shot. They've been done in by really bad goaltending and, I think, the players are done with Sutter. They got off to a 5-1 start and he then bag-skated them and the team responded with a 7-game losing streak. Multiple reports have said that more than one player has told management they'll be gone if he's back next year.

EDIT - forgot to add the damned chart

Edited by JR Ewing
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Brewin Flames said:

No Kidding....blowing every opportunity they get. Might cost Sutter his job.

No. What cost Sutter his job is the fact that the Flames have a bunch of NHL ready, over ripe real deal prospects who can play in the NHL right now who Sutter refused to even give a look  this season, instead choosing to play  slugs like Ritchie, the other Ritchie, Lucic, Stone, Lewis, Gilbert, guys like that. Just clearing the roster of deadwood and giving the kids a shot would have easily gotten this team to the postseason. Sutter is a hall of fame coach deserdely so but the game has passed him by. 

Edited by yave1964
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

No. What cost Sutter his job is the fact that the Flames have a bunch of NHL ready, over ripe real deal prospects who can play in the NHL right now who Sutter refused to even give a look  this season, instead choosing to play  slugs like Ritchie, the other Ritchie, Lucic, Stone, Lewis, Gilbert, guys like that. Just clearing the roster of deadwood and giving the kids a shot would have easily gotten this team to the postseason. Sutter is a hall of fame coach deserdely so but the game has passed him by. 

He did Jakob Pelletier dirty after the kid's first game.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Brewin Flames said:

This team started real strong, then went into the tank....

I thought trelieving did a great job in an impossible position, Tkachuk and gaudreau were gonja, he got some damn good pieces and retooled. Problem is huberdeau is aging poorly and on a max deal, the weeger long term deal after a brilliant half season filling in for ekblad was a huge mistake. Kadri was point a game in Colorado, he is back to his usual 50 point 2c role.  I have watched more flames games than I should because I have their goalies in fantasy on a team, they are in competition with my wings for the softest team in the game. You can push them around at will with very little pushback. And Sutter lost the room IMHO because of the softness, he is old school nasty and expected the same from his team who didn't respond. 

Get the clubs out and reserve tee time. It's over 

All 32 teams are playing today!

All 32 NHL teams on ice for 1st time recalls similar scene in 1967
12 clubs in action on October evening was most frenetic after expansion doubled size of League
https://www.nhl.com/news/all-32-nhl-teams-on-ice-for-first-time-recalls-similar-scene-in-1967/c-343103622

30 minutes ago, Icechipper said:

Tampa Toronto had a playoff feel last nite. Both teams built for playoffs.

Colorado/Edmonton as well. Some really good teams out there.

And the Leaes™️ are in the playoffs, too.

:hocky:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/5/2023 at 10:38 AM, yave1964 said:

A follow-up to some of this stuff... From Frank Seravalli:

"Reigning Jack Adams Award winner Darryl Sutter is in a precarious position. He pushed and pushed this season, pushing all of the wrong buttons, helping push the Flames out of the playoffs. The decision to send Nick Ritchie in on a season-deciding shootout was just the piece de resistance on a season full of head-scratching calls – from four months of Jonathan Huberdeau on the right wing to weeks of Milan Lucic in the top six. The handling of Jakob Pelletier and “What number is he?” rubbed the entire organization the wrong way. There are believed to be at least a handful of players expected to voice their disapproval at exit meetings, if they have not done so already. They’ll voice them to GM Brad Treliving, who does not have a contract for next season. Could Calgary actually continue with Sutter as coach? Cowtown doesn’t seem big enough for Treliving and Sutter. One could be back. Neither could be back. The only thing we know is change is coming in Calgary."

-The Flames suffered for trading to get Milan Lucic, and those days are behind them now, so that won't be a problem going forward. Worst move of Treliving's time in Cowtown. If Lucic signs, he'd have to be stomach a league minimum deal somewhere.

-A coach that makes better use of Huberdeau's style of play could be well rewarded by a return in scoring.

-But... Sutter has 2 years @ $4M left on his contract, and I don't see their ownership group being thrilled at the idea of paying him $8M to not coach the team.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, pilldoc said:

yup.....this post is not aging well ......

lol, yeah, i was 7-1 in the first round but 0-3 so far in the second round. plus i had McDavid/Matthews in the finals in my preseason picks. Ugh.

I imagine the powers that be are less than thrilled that the two East Coast teams that remain are small market. And a not out of the question Dallas V Carolina would be a ratings nightmare for the game. I guess it is proof that the fix isnt completely in, otherwise it would be the Rangers V Kings, lol

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/11/2023 at 3:50 PM, NHL HHOF said:

The Florida Panthers will knock out Pittsburgh for the #8 spot in the east. The Florida Panthers will win the Stanley Cup against Vegas, and Florida will re-sign Eric Staal to a 3-year $1.2 million contract and he will retire with 500 goals.