Game 63: Detroit Red Wings at Philadelphia Flyers; 3/5/23 @ 6 PM, NBCSP

Howie58

Greetings:

I am seeing the O and B as mild favorites (-111) with a 53% win probability, despite the fact we are 2-6-2 in our last 10:

Philadelphia Flyers vs. Detroit Red Wings odds, tips and betting trends (usatoday.com)

There isn't much to distinguish between these two teams on the stat front.  Laczynski is back in the lineup.  Brendan Lemieux makes his debut on the third line:

https://www.nhl.com/news/detroit-red-wings-philadelphia-flyers-game-preview/c-341839228?game_pk=2022021002

In today's pre-game presser, Torts mentioned "addition by subtraction"  This is an audition time. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

Young clubs make young clubs mistakes  frost looked very bad on the turnover 

Yave: I wonder if Frost sticks around under Torts. At least Farabee is shooting. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

Yave: I wonder if Frost sticks around under Torts. At least Farabee is shooting. 

Frost IMHO has enormous talent but seems tentative with the puck at times. He really seems a torts type of player, great away from the puck, solid d for a kid and never takes a shift off. The rest is teachable and I believe he has a top six talent but he is smallish by today's standards and while I don't watch every flyers game from what I have seen he does not get outworked but he can be outmuscled. Still just what, 22 or 23 fifteen pounds of muscle would make a big difference 

• Like 2

For what it's worth:

We beat a > .500 club

Lemieux was +3 and skated well.

The PP  shows absence of talent

Farabee is getting his mojo back.

I will approach the rest of the season with an open mind and low expectations!

Playing a terrible team, our bad team looked not horrible.

I don't mind Delauriers at all, same with Seeler. Both of whom I thought played well last night.

Those guys are fine.

They're not being paid to be the man. They show up for their teammates, they're pros.

They're not the problem.

With each day Chuck Fletcher is in the position of GM and President of Hockey operations, I grow both angry and then apathetic. 

Hopelessness, your 2023 Philadelphia Flyers.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Playing a terrible team, our bad team looked not horrible.

I don't mind Delauriers at all, same with Seeler. Both of whom I thought played well last night.

Those guys are fine.

They're not being paid to be the man. They show up for their teammates, they're pros.

They're not the problem.

With each day Chuck Fletcher is in the position of GM and President of Hockey operations, I grow both angry and then apathetic. 

Hopelessness, your 2023 Philadelphia Flyers.

Dear Mojo,

Many people share your sentiments. In fact, as I've said here before, Fletcher should probably stick with contracts under $1.5 million or the waiver wire.  The downside isn't bad and the upside is possible.  Nic D is apparently a great locker room guy and mentor to young players.  Seeler is a satisfactory bottom pair D man who is very cost-effective.  He might fetch more in the summer or next trade deadline than last week.

On the broader note, it is hard to be optimistic.  We've been a year away from being a year away for so long.  Too long.  The one positive from the last two weeks is that the franchise recognizes the depth of the problem.  CF may not be the architect out of the woods, and ironically, hiring Torts may thwart the tank strategy.  I hope that in the next 19 games we see some positive steps from the saving remnant.  Next year could be rough for good reason--maybe some of the older players are gone via trade. That may hurt short-term.  But that's the price of progress.

• Good Post 1