Flyers 2023 Entry Level Draft - 7th overall (confirmed)

pilldoc

If unable to draft either Bedard or Fantilli, who would you like to see the Flyers Draft?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Pick 2 players you would like to see the Flyers Draft if Bedard and Fantilli are unavailalbe?

• Leo Carlsson, C/W (Orebro, SHL)
    • Zach Benson, LW (Winnipeg, WHL)
    • Will Smith, C (USNTDP)
    • Andrew Cristall, LW (Kelowna, WHL)
    • Dalibor Dvorsky, C (AIK, Allsvenskan)
    • David Reinbacher, D (Kloten, NL)
    • Eduard Sale, RW (Brno, Czechia)
    • Nate Danielson, C (Brandon, WHL)
    • Brayden Yager, C (Moose Jaw, WHL)
    • Matvei Michkov, C (Sochi, KHL)
    • Other

Just now, jammer2 said:

He signs a 1 yr extension in the KHL and the Flyers lose his rights.

They won't lose his rights they will maintain them and he can't sign anywhere else in the NHL.

Sure now they have to trade and move him eventually he will then maybe go to the highest bidder...and a whole bunch of crap i don't want to think about.

But if he is there he is a Flyer i think. I really do. My biggest issue with him more than i have seen anywhere else is that he is a #1 RW and well they already have a log jam at that position anyways.

1 minute ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I can't see Knies being one of the players/prospects for Laughton. However, a combination of Nick Robertson/Fraser Minten/Topi Niemela would certainly work. 

What if you wanted to get spicy for a package...

Sanheim/Laughton for what???

4 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

They won't lose his rights they will maintain them and he can't sign anywhere else in the NHL.

Sure now they have to trade and move him eventually he will then maybe go to the highest bidder...and a whole bunch of crap i don't want to think about.

But if he is there he is a Flyer i think. I really do. My biggest issue with him more than i have seen anywhere else is that he is a #1 RW and well they already have a log jam at that position anyways.

I dont think you should attach weakness/strength of a position when discussing that type of talent. You pick it and let everything else sort itself out. He will be gone by 7...so not a problem we will have IMHO. 

20 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

That would be a hell of a knock it out the park draft.

If they both end up coming over they should be two very good picks where we got them. Obviously Russians are going to fall in this draft. Tough decision on Brieres part if Michkov is still sitting there...

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

I dont think you should attach weakness/strength of a position when discussing that type of talent. You pick it and let everything else sort itself out. He will be gone by 7...so not a problem we will have IMHO. 

Yeah not so much worried about that they'll just trade guys away to make room when need be.

I'm just more concerned with him being happy in Philly is all.

Not a easy town on a foreign player.

Just want to worry about playing hockey and nothing out side of that with him.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Tough decision on Brieres part if Michkov is still sitting there...

Just our luck too. That is the part that actually scares me....the luck part.

11 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I'm just more concerned with him being happy in Philly is all.

Not a easy town on a foreign player.

Just want to worry about playing hockey and nothing out side of that with him.

Couple things to say here...

First of all it may well be a good thing he stays in Russia for 3 more years. Not everyone can adjust to a totally different culture away from family and friends as a teenager. Actually, I'd think most would have a tough time. Maybe coming over at 21-22 wouldn't be such a bad thing...especially since the guy we take there likely won't play til then anyway.

Second, if Michkov gets drafted by Philly, comes over in a few years and starts filling the net, pretty sure Flyer fans would love him. They just need to find him a centre.

As for the luck part....I got nothin'!

Edited by flyercanuck
  • Good Post 3

3 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

First of all it may well be a good thing he stays in Russia for 3 more years.

I just can't see him getting by Montreal and their top line RW is Joel Armia well just can't see them passing up the star they have taken a lot of chances on Russians and can't see them walking away from him falling into their laps.

• Like 1

As far as 7 is concerned, this is my list of players if they're available:

1) Benson - you can't teach drive or work ethic. He might not be the fastest, but he's fast enough and when you add his skill set to his drive and work ethic, it's a no brainer.

2) Dvorsky - incredible how he played against his peers and he's got the best overall game out of all the centers. Think Couturier 2.0, but with better wheels. Once again, not a burner, but he plays in all situations and is just a fantastic and under rated talent.

3) Moore - speed, speed, speed. Oh my God, he's so fast. He also thinks the game well and when he gets to Minnesota, he's going to get his chance to shine. He might end up being a better player than Will Smith simply because he was the do it all guy for the USNTDP. I've read the Dylan Larkin comparisons, but from the video I've watched with some of my scout friends, I'd say he's better skating Elias Pettersson. 

4) Leonard - he's a hybrid in that he's physical like the Tkachuk boys, but he's got the offensive stylings of Chris Kreider. He'll go through a brick wall to score goals, but his playmaking game really started to come together this year. A bookend of him and Gauthier could be really special. Put them alongside someone like Frost and they could really give the opposition fits. 

5) Perrault - I get that he might be a reach here, but bloodlines matter and his dad was one of the best faceoff men to ever play. He can take draws in all zones (even though he's a winger), he can play in any spot in the lineup (he's versatile), he sees the ice well and is lethal in the offensive zone. He's smaller, so physicality will never be his big suit, but he's incredibly smart and just knows where to be on the ice at all times. He's a Jonathan Marchessault type player, but with better offensive instincts. Kid's a winner. 

6) Morin - yep, I do have a defenseman on the list, but not any of the Euro guys. I'm a big fan of players from the QMJHL. For the longest of time, the Q had a reputation for being an offense only league, but that has changed and a lot of the defensemen coming out of there really have the concept of two way play down. I love what he brings to the table and done of the scouts I've talked with (there are a few that live in the town I do) have said that if they were choosing any defensemen, Etienne Morin would be their first choice. He's incredibly crisp and calm with the puck, doesn't lose his composure playing defense, isn't afraid to bang bodies and makes the smart choice all the time.  Once again, he'd be considered a reach, but if he hits, you've got an all world defender. 

So yeah, those would be my choices at 7.

• Thanks 1
  • Good Post 1

29 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Dvorsky

Can not lie this guy intrigues me the most.

And most importantly he is a center....and well the depth in the organization is slacking at Center.

Let him marinate and work on his game...hopefully get bigger and stronger.

https://www.inquirer.com/flyers/flyers-nhl-draft-danny-briere-brent-flahr-strategy-michkov-20230622.html

Good read and there's embedded tweets in there from Giana Han with comments from Nature Boy Brent Flahr. He basically said if a player has issues with effort and work ethic, it's a no go. If the issue is strength or skating, they're willing to work with the player. 

I think they have their eyes on Benson and if he's gone, possibly Dvorsky. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but that's an awfully big hint at the direction they're looking.

I also don't believe for one second they aren't walking away with another first. There's just too much smoke going on. It's clear Briere wants to get younger, faster and get that cap down. There'll be no spending this year.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

https://www.inquirer.com/flyers/flyers-nhl-draft-danny-briere-brent-flahr-strategy-michkov-20230622.html

Good read and there's embedded tweets in there from Giana Han with comments from Nature Boy Brent Flahr. He basically said if a player has issues with effort and work ethic, it's a no go. If the issue is strength or skating, they're willing to work with the player. 

I think they have their eyes on Benson and if he's gone, possibly Dvorsky. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but that's an awfully big hint at the direction they're looking.

I also don't believe for one second they aren't walking away with another first. There's just too much smoke going on. It's clear Briere wants to get younger, faster and get that cap down. There'll be no spending this year.

A true Flyer fan first, we all cheer wildly as no moves are made in FA and calculate how much cap space we saved by not frivolously spending to tread water!!

14 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

A true Flyer fan first, we all cheer wildly as no moves are made in FA and calculate how much cap space we saved by not frivolously spending to tread water!!

I'm cheering the scorched earth approach, absolutely. Previous management actively refused to perform a full rebuild and wasted careers chasing mediocrity. I'm glad that Briere has the cajones to realize this and is doing what needs to be done. Yes, that also includes not spending in free agency and cutting spending. They aren't competing for anything. There's no need to sign free agents or spend big dollars on anyone. It's all about developing young players now. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I think more deals will happen at the draft. Commissioner bobblehead wants the air time announcing trades on the draft floor. 

My 2 cents on this draft, if Mishkov is there at 7 you go for it. As FCanuck said he will be 21 when his KHL deal ends. 

I still believe the draft should be moved up to 20 years old. At 18 these are just kids. They will all mature differently. Certain amount of risk in all of them growing up.  The NBA and the NFL draft 22 year olds. Thats a huge difference in maturity, mentally and physically. NCAA players are drafted after 4 years of D1 ball. The NHL draft picks kids after 2 years of CHL hockey. Europeans play against men as 17 year olds, and American players are drafted before entering college hockey. After the top 2 or 3 this draft there are IFS.

• Like 3
  • Good Post 1

10 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

I just can't see him getting by Montreal and their top line RW is Joel Armia well just can't see them passing up the star they have taken a lot of chances on Russians and can't see them walking away from him falling into their laps.

Though I agree with what you're saying here, they do already have Caufield. You don't need TWO small scorers when there's plenty of other holes to fill. But the Habs aren't shy on taking russians.

5 hours ago, flyer4ever said:

I think more deals will happen at the draft. Commissioner bobblehead wants the air time announcing trades on the draft floor. 

My 2 cents on this draft, if Mishkov is there at 7 you go for it. As FCanuck said he will be 21 when his KHL deal ends. 

I still believe the draft should be moved up to 20 years old. At 18 these are just kids. They will all mature differently. Certain amount of risk in all of them growing up.  The NBA and the NFL draft 22 year olds. Thats a huge difference in maturity, mentally and physically. NCAA players are drafted after 4 years of D1 ball. The NHL draft picks kids after 2 years of CHL hockey. Europeans play against men as 17 year olds, and American players are drafted before entering college hockey. After the top 2 or 3 this draft there are IFS.

It would be just our luck...the Flyers finally decide to do a proper rebuild and there's no draft for two years.

5 hours ago, flyer4ever said:

I think Michkov ends up in San Jose. But agreed, if he's available at 7, you run to the podium, not walk, and take him.

Yeah I'm pretty sure there'll be a number of moves on draft night. There seems to be lots of jockeying this offseason in terms of teams shaking things up. 

I'm not sure how I feel about the draft age moving to 20. Hockey is a bit different than basketball and football in that these kids are often living with billets and often in cities away from their families. These players are pretty much forced to grow up at a young age and mature quickly. Yeah I'm torn on that one. I get where you're coming from though with that. 

3 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

It would be just our luck...the Flyers finally decide to do a proper rebuild and there's no draft for two years.

The draft age used to be twenty years old but in 1980 when the NHL merged with the WHA they changed it to 18 because there under 20 players in that league. I also remember some WHA players from the Birmingham Bulls sued to be able to play at 18, Ken Linseman was part of it.

15 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

...and that's what I'm worried about. Arizona tried that with Chychrun and we all saw how that turned out. If you get a good, fair deal, take it. The Flyers are rebuilding. The goal should be good draft picks and/or prospects. 

No one is giving up a top 10 pick for Laughton. No one is giving up a top 10 pick for Konecny. So, take a good package of assets and go from there.

Is there a guarantee that the #9 or #10 pick will become a 30 plus goal scorer like Konecny.  You act like there are superstars available at at this draft position. Konecny isn’t worth a top 6 or 7 , but 9 or 10 is not unreasonable. I agree on Laughton he’s worth a late first rounder according to the market.

2 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

The draft age used to be twenty years old but in 1980 when the NHL merged with the WHA they changed it to 18 because there under 20 players in that league. I also remember some WHA players from the Birmingham Bulls sued to be able to play at 18, Ken Linseman was part of it.

Now THAT would have been a good time for a rebuild...

4 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

Is there a guarantee that the #9 or #10 pick will become a 30 plus goal scorer like Konecny.  You act like there are superstars available at at this draft position. Konecny isn’t worth a top 6 or 7 , but 9 or 10 is not unreasonable. I agree on Laughton he’s worth a late first rounder according to the market.

Everything depends on what player is drafted at 9 or 10. At the same time, Konecny has scored 30 goals in a season once and 20 three times. The rest are 11, 14 and 17 goals. In fairness, when Debrincat was traded, he had two seasons of 40 goals, 1 season of 30 goals, 1 season of 20 goals and 1 season with 18 goals. Regardless of our opinions on Konecny (and just to let you know, I really like Konecny), his seasons just don't measure up to what Debrincat has done in less time and GMs recognize things like that. 

Now do I think a player drafted at 9 or 10 can be a 30 goal scorer? Absolutely. If a GM isn't thinking that, then they need to be fired. If you're picking that high, the thinking it's that you're getting a top six forward (wingers in particular) or a top 4 defenseman that will put up numbers on the power play. 30 goals in a top six role isn't an unrealistic expectation. Of course, development is everything. If the development path is checking and defense and ignoring offense (which for the longest of time was the Flyers development plan), players will fail. I have high expectations that Briere and company will addresses the development issues .

Sorry about the long winded answer.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Everything depends on what player is drafted at 9 or 10. At the same time, Konecny has scored 30 goals in a season once and 20 three times. The rest are 11, 14 and 17 goals. In fairness, when Debrincat was traded, he had two seasons of 40 goals, 1 season of 30 goals, 1 season of 20 goals and 1 season with 18 goals. Regardless of our opinions on Konecny (and just to let you know, I really like Konecny), his seasons just don't measure up to what Debrincat has done in less time and GMs not named Fletcher recognize things like that. 

Now do I think a player drafted at 9 or 10 can be a 30 goal scorer? Absolutely. If a GM isn't thinking that, then they need to be fired. If you're picking that high, the thinking it's that you're getting a top six forward (wingers in particular) or a top 4 defenseman that will put up numbers on the power play. 30 goals in a top six role isn't an unrealistic expectation. Of course, development is everything. If the development path is checking and defense and ignoring offense (which for the longest of time was the Flyers development plan), players will fail. I have high expectations that Briere and company will addresses the development issues .

Sorry about the long winded answer.

FIFY